Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Major Remington Recall

My 700 already been in and back. Have not shot it since its return. Only took ~10 weeks and I bought a Ruger while waiting.

Definitely good news. I have a 700 bdl deluxe that I have been shooting for years and ONLY my strict adherence to deliberately-redundant gun safety rules made sure that my one trigger failure had no harmful consequences.

Wonder how long it will take to replace all those triggers? What do they get replaced with?

My 700 already been in and back. Have not shot it since its return. Only took ~10 weeks and I bought a Ruger while waiting.

This recall doesn't involve your rifle. It is for all the old ones that are up to 6+ decades old and have the Walker "Fire Control" trigger that was designed by Mike Walker back in the late 40s. Your rifle has the new X Mark Pro in it and that trigger is currently also under a recall due to accident misfires just like the millions of old ones. If I owned a Remington, I would just replace the Remington trigger with an aftermarket one like a Timney, Jewel, or Rifle Basix and be done with it at your expense because if they ask that the rifles be sent back to them like the present recall it will take years to take care of everyone.

I couldn't find anything on the remington website about recalling all of the 700s. I only found the recall regarding the x mark pro trigger. Does anyone have an official website for this recall too?

The old style rems are niiiiice triggers when tuned up. I'll keep mine, but glad those that wish can exchange them.

I couldn't find anything on the remington website about recalling all of the 700s. I only found the recall regarding the x mark pro trigger. Does anyone have an official website for this recall too?

They haven't even had the Judge finalize the settlement that was just agreed on today, so it will probably take some time before the official recall is put up on their website.

Last edited:
Topgun 30-06, Its not just the older 700. I have one that was just 9 months old and was recalled. I also had to wait 3 months to get it back so I bought a Ruger American for the wife and will never buy another Rem. because of the way they handled the recall. I called Rem several times about getting the gun back and was told they have no idea on how long it will take to repair it. My paperwork they sent me on the recall notice said it would take about 2 weeks to get it back.

Remington let this drag out way too long at the expense of potential death and injury to their customers simply because of money.

I will never, ever buy any product from Remington ever due to the way this was handled. It took a grieving father years of determined effort to make these people own up. Worthless money grubbing POS's down there at Remington and they make worthless POS guns.

Topgun 30-06, Its not just the older 700. I have one that was just 9 months old and was recalled. I also had to wait 3 months to get it back so I bought a Ruger American for the wife and will never buy another Rem. because of the way they handled the recall. I called Rem several times about getting the gun back and was told they have no idea on how long it will take to repair it. My paperwork they sent me on the recall notice said it would take about 2 weeks to get it back.

***Please read my post #5, as I'm well aware of all of the Remington trigger issues and spoke about the recall of the X Mark Pro triggers there. I also have to say that I would agree 100% with what mtlion stated and why I try to get the word out whenever I can on this Remington issue.

Last edited:
That is correct.

Why do people like yourself even come on a thread like this just to make sarcastic comments on a serious issue like this?! Mike Walker, the inventor of this trigger, wanted it changed as soon as it went in production back in the late 40s because of immediate problems that were called in about misfires and Remington has fought recall efforts ever since. If they handle this recall like they are the present one involving the X Mark Pro a person will either have to get an aftermarket trigger and install it themselves if they are capable or have it done by a reputable gunsmith because Remington will never be able to handle it in a reasonable amount of time if even 25% of the rifles out there are returned. I hope your beloved rifle with the niiiiiice trigger isn't the next one that goes off like the thousands of others that have had accidental misfires. Please read up on the cause of the problem before you make any more posts because if people read what you are posting they may not take care of theirs and it could lead to serious consequences!

The # 1 rule of gun safety -- Always point the muzzle in a safe direction. ALWAYS. Regardless of the chamber being loaded, empty, defective trigger, perfect trigger, whatever. ALWAYS. I don't even let my young kids play with toy guns in an unsafe way. The same rules apply. My daughter pointed a "Big Buck Hunter" arcade game gun at me when she was younger. We had a talk right there in the restaurant. I can't emphasize this rule enough! With that being said, I'm glad that Remington is taking care of this for those who wish to participate.

If any of you are too fed up with Remington and want to rid yourself of your 700 for a good price, I'll keep my eyes open.

Last edited:
For clarification, it is only Model 700 or Model Seven rifles manufactured between May 1, 2006 and April 9, 2014 that are being recalled for the trigger problem.

The earlier safety problem recall was not a trigger problem but a trigger safety problem. The bolt could only be opened with the safety off and the rifle was apt to fire when opening the bolt with the firearm loaded. I am personally aware of that problem in that I inadvertently shot my only Ram with my 1971 vintage Remington 700 BDL Remington 7 mag. Unfortunately it was my Dodge Ram 3500 that I shot and not a bighorn sheep!
Subsequently, I repaired the Ram and had the modified safety installed on my otherwise excellent Remington 7 mag shooter.

For clarification, it is only Model 700 or Model Seven rifles manufactured between May 1, 2006 and April 9, 2014 that are being recalled for the trigger problem.

The earlier safety problem recall was not a trigger problem but a trigger safety problem. The bolt could only be opened with the safety off and the rifle was apt to fire when opening the bolt with the firearm loaded. I am personally aware of that problem in that I inadvertently shot my only Ram with my 1971 vintage Remington 700 BDL Remington 7 mag. Unfortunately it was my Dodge Ram 3500 that I shot and not a bighorn sheep!
Subsequently, I repaired the Ram and had the modified safety installed on my otherwise excellent Remington 7 mag shooter.

This thread has nothing to do with what you're talking about. You're talking about the recall of the newer rifles that have the X Mark Pro in them and there are nowhere near the number of them out there as with the 7.85 million out there that this recall involves with the Walker "Fire Control" trigger in them that were produced from the late 40s until 2006.

The # 1 rule of gun safety -- Always point the muzzle in a safe direction. ALWAYS. Regardless of the chamber being loaded, empty, defective trigger, perfect trigger, whatever. ALWAYS. I don't even let my young kinds play with toy guns in an unsafe way. The same rules apply. My daughter pointed a "Big Buck Hunter" arcade game gun at me when she was younger. We had a talk right there in the restaurant. I can't emphasize this rule enough! With that being said, I'm glad that Remington is taking care of this for those who wish to participate.

If any of you are too fed up with Remington and want to get right of your 700 for a good price, I'll keep my eyes open.

Yes, safe handling is paramount when dealing with any firearm and there is no argument about that. The problem with this trigger is that you don't have to have it pointed at anyone or your finger on the trigger. If it goes off with no warning like most of the thousands that have had it happen to them a ricochet can kill a person just as dead as one that is pointed directly at them. That's why people that say just keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction to avoid problems don't get the whole picture here!

Which brings me to Rule # 2...ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use. This means you don't put a God-damn round in the chamber until you are ready to kill a critter or shoot at a target. For us archery dudes, we don't walk around drawn back all day let alone an arrow knocked at all. What's the difference?

Now back to your thread's purpose...bringing to everyone's attention that Remington is finally trying to make this right.

Last edited:
Try to forgive my ignorance, Topgun. I stand corrected. (A techie friend once remarked that if in bold, the writer is yelling at you, perhaps scolding.)

Question: Does the previously settled issue over the safety problem with a safety modification repair affect the Walker trigger safety problem?

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back