Major Remington Recall

Which brings me to Rule # 2...ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use. This means you don't put a God-damn round in the chamber until you are ready to kill a critter or shoot at a target. For us archery dudes, we don't walk around drawn back all day let alone an arrow knocked at all. What's the difference?

Now back to your thread's purpose...bringing to everyone's attention that Remington is finally trying to make this right.

Sorry, but that isn't taught as one of the 4 firearms safety rules.

Edit: I'm also an archery dude. I have, and I'm sure will in the future, have an arrow nocked for long periods on occasion. And yes, I've moved around with an arrow nocked. I've stood at full draw for extended periods of time.

I may or may not hunt with a round chambered in my rifle. Antelope and mountain goats, no. Elk and deer, yes unless there is a safety concern that would cause me to unload it.

However, one should be able to trust that their weapon of choice will not spontaneously discharge for no apparent reason without the trigger being depressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but that isn't taught as one of the 4 firearms safety rules.

Maybe that rule is not taught in your classroom, but it is taught in mine. And there are more than "4 firearm safety rules".

I keep the chamber empty until I'm ready to shoot as an extra precaution. In my opinion, this is just common sense. Extra safety measures, especially when it comes to guns, never hurt anyone.

Maybe that rule is not taught in your classroom, but it is taught in mine. And there are more than "4 firearm safety rules".

I keep the chamber empty until I'm ready to shoot as an extra precaution. In my opinion, this is just common sense. Extra safety measures, especially when it comes to guns, never hurt anyone.

Well sure, we can all make up our own rules. I'm referring to the 4 universal safety rules as taught by state sanctioned hunter ed protocols.

I bird hunt a lot. I walk countless miles with a round chambered because I expect that if I keep my finger off the trigger until I'm ready to shoot, my firearm will not spontaneously discharge. I don't think I'm alone here.

Yes, safe handling is paramount when dealing with any firearm and there is no argument about that. The problem with this trigger is that you don't have to have it pointed at anyone or your finger on the trigger. If it goes off with no warning like most of the thousands that have had it happen to them a ricochet can kill a person just as dead as one that is pointed directly at them. That's why people that say just keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction to avoid problems don't get the whole picture here!

From the actual reading I've done on this issue there has never been a 700 that discharged without part of the gun being manipulated, i.e. safety or bolt. As a percentage the amount of confirmed problem triggers amounts to roughly less than 0.03%. At that rate of defect vs production recall demand GM would have been out of business long ago. So would many other companies. This issue is based on a very limited number of issues that have garnered a high amount of publicity fueled by tragedy. It seems the majority of the people who have joined this witch hunt are not fully informed and very few have any first hand knowledge of the issue. The issue is a perfect storm. Liberal media gets to vilify at an evil gun company and the far right manipulation machine gets its drones to boycott a company it still believes is connected to Soros.

I'm not saying others don't get it, I personally don't get it.

Like I said, I'm glad people can replace them if they want to. Knowing what I know about measurement systems analysis and probabilities at the scale of millions I don't wish to replace mine. If I ever had slam fires or hunted with one in the chamber I might look at it differently.

Dude, everyone has different rules. And I didn't make that rule up. There are hundreds of people that follow the same rule. It's a matter of what people are comfortable with. There is no arguing that an empty chamber can not discharge a round. Period. I hear the argument that chambering a round makes too much noise or takes too much time in a hunting environment. Bird hunting, yes, I can see that it isn't feasible. But when it comes to big game hunting with a bolt action rifle, I disagree with the previous argument. My answer to that would be to become a better hunter.

If I can take an extra precaution to keep a bullet hole out of my kid, myself, or my pickup, I'm going to do it. By the way, lots of people drive drunk too. I choose not to.

My answer to that would be to become a better hunter.

Dude,

I'll certainly work on this :)

BTW, universal firearms safety rule means that it applies to everyone, under any and all situations. Doesn't matter if you're a cop, soldier, hunter, target shooter, secret service, etc.

Also, WTH does drunk driving have to do with this?

Remington let this drag out way too long at the expense of potential death and injury to their customers simply because of money.

I will never, ever buy any product from Remington ever due to the way this was handled. It took a grieving father years of determined effort to make these people own up. Worthless money grubbing POS's down there at Remington and they make worthless POS guns.
It is unfortunate that there are some defective triggers out there. So does this mean that ANY company that has had ANY kind of falure is now a POS?
Phones, computers, vehicles, a shovel with broken handle, hammer that smashed my finger is unsafe, where does it end?

It is unfortunate that there are some defective triggers out there. So does this mean that ANY company that has had ANY kind of falure is now a POS?
Phones, computers, vehicles, a shovel with broken handle, hammer that smashed my finger is unsafe, where does it end?

Those aren't going to kill you with the exception of a vehicle and there is no way to know how many rifles that were produced with this defective trigger that have gone off or may go off in the future! ONE is too many and I'm very close to calling Remington a POS for denying and hiding the fact that those triggers have needed fixing for over 6 decades since the day they started manufacturing them and the number was 7.85 million before they changed to the X Mark Pro and it's also under recall now!!!.

From the actual reading I've done on this issue there has never been a 700 that discharged without part of the gun being manipulated, i.e. safety or bolt. As a percentage the amount of confirmed problem triggers amounts to roughly less than 0.03%. At that rate of defect vs production recall demand GM would have been out of business long ago. So would many other companies. This issue is based on a very limited number of issues that have garnered a high amount of publicity fueled by tragedy. It seems the majority of the people who have joined this witch hunt are not fully informed and very few have any first hand knowledge of the issue. The issue is a perfect storm. Liberal media gets to vilify at an evil gun company and the far right manipulation machine gets its drones to boycott a company it still believes is connected to Soros.

This issue is caused by the what you stated, but involves the entire trigger/safety mechanism because of the way the "free to move" connector that is only in a Remington firearm allows it. You are now using the media bias issue to try to justify Remington producing a defective product and it not only involves those who had family injured or die, but also a number in the five figures (at least 20,000) who had them misfire and nobody was in the line of fire. Please leave the media out of this and just admit that the rifles are defective and need fixing ASAP!

I'm waiting for the flood of you people who think Remington is a POS to start selling them so I can get some more POS rifles at a VERY cheap price to fill my gun safe.

This issue is caused by the what you stated, but involves the entire trigger/safety mechanism because of the way the "free to move" connector that is only in a Remington firearm allows it. You are now using the media bias issue to try to justify Remington producing a defective product and it not only involves those who had family injured or die, but also a number in the five figures (at least 20,000) who had them misfire and nobody was in the line of fire. Please leave the media out of this and just admit that the rifles are defective and need fixing ASAP!

I don;t know much about the issue and do not own a 700 bolt action. I do own a 742 semiautomatic model.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think I've ever owned a firearm that did not misfire at least once. Except for a single shot 22 that has a bad firing pin the issue has to do with the cartridge malfunctioning and not the trigger mechanism. Perhaps the issue is one of accidental discharge?

If I remember correctly the 700 model is the most common hunting rifle in existence and the US military has used them as a sniper rifle in 7.62mm. Hard to believe that if a defect was so widespread that the rifle would be so popular.

As many times as remington has changed hands over the years wouldn't it be the wrong thing to do to punish this ownership group after they are trying to do the right thing? The ones that are a pos are already gone and drawing off there pensions. Not completely disagreeing but just playing devils advocate.

I don;t know much about the issue and do not own a 700 bolt action. I do own a 742 semiautomatic model.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think I've ever owned a firearm that did not misfire at least once. Except for a single shot 22 that has a bad firing pin the issue has to do with the cartridge malfunctioning and not the trigger mechanism. Perhaps the issue is one of accidental discharge?

If I remember correctly the 700 model is the most common hunting rifle in existence and the US military has used them as a sniper rifle in 7.62mm. Hard to believe that if a defect was so widespread that the rifle would be so popular.

The military, as well as many others, like the Rems because of their action, not the triggers & safety, and most from what I'm told go to an Armory for a complete rework, including the trigger assembly, before they go out in the field for use.

As many times as remington has changed hands over the years wouldn't it be the wrong thing to do to punish this ownership group after they are trying to do the right thing? The ones that are a pos are already gone and drawing off there pensions. Not completely disagreeing but just playing devils advocate.

I can't go along with that philosophy because the defect has been well publicized for a long time and there was a ton of stuff in their files alone about it that were called up for use in numerous court cases. Also, the current group has owned it for some time and have been fighting lawsuits and a recall just like the previous one (DuPont).

Again, I'm not sure if I agree with it either just throwing it out there for discussion purposes. I just fear we are all gathering our pitchforks and torches and, unless I misread, the decision has not been finalized. Again, I am angry too but I find that gets me nowhere fast. I will have 7 to replace and all have functioned flawlessly for years. But I will change eventually with or without the recall.

As a question, and maybe it has already been adressed here, is the recall ALL 700`s or just the ones that the safety locked the bolt shut? I have heard a lot of discrepancies on this before.

More background

I owned a 700 as does my father. We have both had the rifles fire when the safety was moved off the safe to the fire position. In both cases there was no pressure on the trigger and neither rifle had been modified. To me that is unnacceptable.
Luckily both rifles were pointed in a safe direction. My dad kept his rifle and now never puts a cartridge in the chamber until his is ready to shoot. I often hunt in timber and when I am alone I will put a round in the chamber when things get elky. I carry the rifle with the safety on and then only put the safey off when I am ready to shoot. That is the exact scenario when my 700 pre fired. I immediately put a timney on the rifle. I no longer trusted the rifle and could not in good conscience sell the rifle with the factory trigger. My new rifle has a three position locking safety and a trustworthy trigger.
The problem I have with Remington is not that they make a less than perfect product. No one makes a perfect rifle. The problem is that Remington has known for decades that their trigger is unsafe and has actively avoided taking responsibility for it.

Back