Major Remington Recall

Need Remington Authorization Number

Currently own two Remington Model 700s. One manufactured in 1964, .270 BDL, misfired twice when safety was taken off....problem was repaired. Most recently, purchased a .300 CDL; needs to be repaired.
Spoke with my gunsmith about getting it fixed due to recall.....he indicated that I would have to call Remington prior to bringing it in to get a "REMINGTON AUTHORIZATION NUMBER".
Hope this helps for those with Model 700s.

That's what I figured. You're on here bloviating with no hard evidence.

Just a bunch of stuff you've read on the internet.

So are you suggesting that a multi million dollar corporation lost in court because of heresay instances, and that the problem doesn't really exist?

So are you suggesting that a multi million dollar corporation lost in court because of heresay instances, and that the problem doesn't really exist?

No. The case was not "lost in court" it was settled. And civil cases are not always settled on the merits of a claim.

No. The case was not "lost in court" it was settled. And civil cases are not always settled on the merits of a claim.

Please forgive me. I'll reword my question.

So are you suggesting that a multi million dollar corporation settled in court because of heresay instances and that the problem doesn't really exist?

Yep, I agree 100%, and yet now 6speed has chosen to go over onto MM and rake me over the coals there with his BS too! :hump:

I thought we were going to agree to disagree on this thread but apparently not.

I didn't go on MM and rake you over the coals. I saw you had posted misleading information about a recall and posted a shorter version of the details of the class action suit I posted here for clarification. At no time have I disputed the chance (about 3 instances for every 10,000 rifles) of a malfunction causing an unintentional discharge. I unlike you have posted information about how to get the issue resolved if someone chooses by joining the class action suit. You have defended starting this misleading thread by claiming anyone who doesn't agree with you just doesn't understand. In fact the cause of the malfunction is incredibly easy to understand making that defense moot. I am curious what you are referring to as my "BS" considering most of what I have posted has been based on court documents or numbers you provided (the numbers I found showed fewer malfunctions so I used yours thereby increasing the probabilities)?

The trigger does have a design flaw but that doesn't mean it will ever fail as so many have shown. It does have a potential to fail and when a design flaw can cause serious injury or death it should be changed but that is not how it always works.

I am sure a covey of actuaries ran volumes of statistics on the odds of failure and that was taken into consideration.

Design flaws are not rare, I see them every day it's just not all can cost you or someone else their life.

Walker is dead now but it is pretty easy to find his redesign and video or transcripts talking about the flaw.

I have witnessed first hand (not my rifle or me handling the rifle) but an unmolested model 700 going off. I can not tell you if it was from the design flaw.

So are you suggesting that a multi million dollar corporation settled in court because of heresay instances and that the problem doesn't really exist?

I don't know why they settled.

Legal settlements are a myriad of factors, you can often have a winning argument, but the cost v. the benefits doesn't always compute. My guess is the cost to settle + cost for fixes < legal fees to continue to fight. If they continue to spend years in court and the outcome is that the triggers were fine, those miss-fires were the fault of the user/neglect/gunsmith/whatever what do they "win" and what did it cost them.

**this isn't an argument for or against the case, just the facts of why suits are settled**

Patent Trolls know why companies settle suits and exploit this.

It has more to do with legal liability. The "problem" does exist. It comes down to the actual cause of the individual malfunction and events contributing to the malfunction that have allowed Remington to release themselves from liability. The Walker trigger functions as it is supposed to. It has yet to be proven that without the introduction of foreign material, an impact, improper maintenance or faulty modification the trigger functions other than intended. Therefore no recall. They will replace triggers as a result of the class action suit. This means they figured it would be cheaper to replace some triggers than have to prove the trigger worked as intended every time someone has a misfire and takes them to court.

Topgun posted ". Are you a trained smith? " Yes. I was trained in the US Army as an armourer.. Next question. Oh, and to why they settled or why any big corporation settles, it's cheaper to pay $500K to settle than it is to inherit $500M in bad publicity from folks with facts that they cannot support.

If these random firings of un-modified guns were as common as the field reports indicate, they would have been able to reproduce them in a controlled environment and the plaintiff's lawyers would have cleaned Remington out a long time ago.

WOW this thread has gained a life of it's own :D Ok bear with me on a true story. On Black Friday I got up early and made it to the Wal Mart in Laurel Montana. In the back room was my new model 700 adl 223. Well a few minutes later we went home together.

A few minutes ago I contacted the Remington recall number and spoke to a nice young lady. I gave her my serial number and it had been in for the recall in September. I then asked her if it was normal for the firing pin to release if I lifted the bolt handle and then let it down but not move the bolt back...........There was a long pause :D She transferred me to the service dept. I spoke to a guy "also professional" and told him of the problem. He said send it back that's not right. I asked him if a Timney trigger would fix the issue. He said yes that should take care of it. On a side note I asked him if the adl synthetic stock should be free floated. He said, no not on a adl the stock will not free float correctly and suggested a aftermarket stock if I wanted it free floated. I thanked him for his candid answers and then concluded the call.

So the moral of my story is you can follow the recall and still have a possible problem. At this point I think a Timney trigger is in my future.

I also want to thank the employee's of Remington for their help.
Dan

WOW this thread has gained a life of it's own :D Ok bear with me on a true story. On Black Friday I got up early and made it to the Wal Mart in Laurel Montana. In the back room was my new model 700 adl 223. Well a few minutes later we went home together.

A few minutes ago I contacted the Remington recall number and spoke to a nice young lady. I gave her my serial number and it had been in for the recall in September. I then asked her if it was normal for the firing pin to release if I lifted the bolt handle and then let it down but not move the bolt back...........There was a long pause :D She transferred me to the service dept. I spoke to a guy "also professional" and told him of the problem. He said send it back that's not right. I asked him if a Timney trigger would fix the issue. He said yes that should take care of it. On a side note I asked him if the adl synthetic stock should be free floated. He said, no not on a adl the stock will not free float correctly and suggested a aftermarket stock if I wanted it free floated. I thanked him for his candid answers and then concluded the call.

So the moral of my story is you can follow the recall and still have a possible problem. At this point I think a Timney trigger is in my future.

I also want to thank the employee's of Remington for their help.
Dan

DanO---Geez, according to several of our experts here on this thread it takes tinkering or crud on a used gun to cause the problem you asked about! It's nice you found some honest people when you called Remington and now maybe some detractors here will get the message and do what you're going to do. Thanks for your post and to all others who have had problems and came on this thread to tell us about them.

DanO---Geez, according to several of our experts here on this thread it takes tinkering or crud on a used gun to cause the problem you asked about! .

For someone who supposedly knows so much about Remington triggers, I'm surprised you aren't aware the newer guns (like the one Dan O purchased from Walmart on black Friday) don't have the Walker trigger.

:D:D:D

Mine has the new pro trigger. My point for the post was even if you send yours in for the recall repair it can still malfunction. So always keep that in mind and practice gun safety.
I've been thinking about the issue with the firing pin not remaining in the fire position it really is not an issue because the only way to chamber a round is to open the bolt and when that is done the firing pin locks in the appropriate position. So is it a real issue or not???? Maybe...maybe not, but it is a good reason to upgrade to a Timney, problem solved ;)
Dan

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back