Idaho Archery Elk

IdahoBugler

It was a little different for me this year with my baby girl being born in January. I chose to limit my out of state hunts this year and apply for the absolute best hunts in other states. As luck or unluck would have it we didn't draw anything out of state other then the one trip with Randy in New Mexico. Even with that said my very understanding wife allowed me a week long trip to go hunting elk in Idaho. This also allowed me to stay close to home where I could come home every Saturday and help coach and watch my son play football.

Highmountain (Lance) and I had been in talks of wanting to go elk hunting together since we had so much fun on our wyoming lope hunt. We chose an area and headed out hunting. From the get go it was very apparent that I was hunting with a very dedicated hunter. We hunted well together and both had no problem heading deep into holes after elk. Lance is a very accomplished caller and can get any bull going on the mountain.

Such was the case on our 3rd day on the mountain. It was about 5:30 and we had just dropped into a deep canyon. Lance let out a bugle and I followed with a few lonely cow calls. After 15 minutes we got a bull to lightup a half mile away. We called a few more times and had no more answers. We cut the distance in half and stopped in a small clearing just behind two pine trees. We started calling again with the same combination that got him going. After another 15 minutes the bull bugled again but now was just under the last place we were. We weren't sure if it was a different bull or the original bull that bugled earlier. We kept the small herd talk going for another 15 minutes when he lights up with a thunderous bugle less then 100 yards below. We could tell instantly he was coming and fast.

Lance went 20 yards to my left and I dropped down 10 yards just below the pine trees. As I was dropping down I could see his rack bobbing up the hill less than 40 yards away. Within seconds he was now 35 yards away and looking up my way. Lance let out a bugle and started rubbing some brush. This infuriated the bull and he picked out a small tree and started ripping it apart. It was an absolute awesome sight to watch this bull tear up this small tree and rub his rack in the brush. He bugled 4 or 5 times during the 5 minutes he was putting on the show.

P1230309.jpg

Lance had done a great job convincing this bull he was missing out on something. So after the display he stepped up through the brush and starred a hole through me at 30 yards. I had chose not to draw on him when I first saw him because I wasn't sure what he was going to do. Luckily I didn't as I would have had to let up as he was rubbing his horns and that could have cost me the bull. My thinking was he was now in my comfort zone so even if he spotted me or didn't like something I would have been able to stop him during his retreat and get a shot.

Back to the bull starring a hole through me. It was a long stare down, maybe 60 seconds. I'm sure you guys that have been in these situations know that a ton of things go through your mind in that short time. I was wondering when I would get my opportunity to draw when suddenly the bull turns to my right and lets out a monsterous bugle. This was my chance to draw and he didn't skip a beat as I settled the pin tight to his front leg. I let out a soft cow call and he stopped giving me a perfect shot. On the release I saw my arrow disappear right where it was suppose too. Lance and I both bugled instantly and the bull stopped after 40 yards. Within 20 seconds the bull fell over and the ordeal was done. It was one of the most exciting experiences I have ever had in the elk woods.

Here are the pictures of our bull. He is very massive and holds his mass out to the tips of his tines.
P1230228.jpg

P1230233.jpg

P1230254.jpg

Great hunter, caller and friend. Thanks Lance.
P1230277.jpg

The VPA 3 blade broadhead had done its job.
P1230223.jpg

I have to say I was very impressed with the way the VPA 3 blade broadhead performed. Both Lance and I thought the arrow blew through the bull. So we went down the mountain looking for the arrow. We couldn't find it so we started cutting up the bull for the long pack out. After we were finished I like to see what damage my arrows did to help me get a better understanding of what puts an animal down so quick. During this process I started cutting away the meat from the entrance hole and was surprised to see the head had blown through the onside rib. After further digging we found part of the shaft still in the bull. The arrow had gone through the onside rib and through the offside rib and as the bull ran off it busted off the arrow. Lance went up and found the other half. The head looked brand new and was still dang sharp. Great performance from this head. I can't wait to sharpen it up and put it through a deer this year. :D

P1230300.jpg

We stayed for the remainder of the week and as the heat rose the bugling slowed. We still had many close encounters with other bulls. One in particular is very lucky and if not for a little bad luck he would have been on Lance's wall with his other P&Y trophies.

Thanks again buddy... I can't wait to get out and get after the next thing.

Wow, that is a beast. Congrats to both of you. Sounds like it was well earned based on the effort to haul an elk out of the places you guys go.

Congrats, that's a brute!!! I'd be happy to get a crack at his younger brother in a couple of weeks.

Don't get no better....great bull, awesome asisst and fellowship...good job IB and highmt.

Back