I need to prove a point.

Maybe a dozen years back I was drinking beers in Vegas at Shot Show with a couple friends, and maybe @Eric Albus or his cousin or brother not sure was there, but we were having a nice time. Colorado Buck was there and my friend Bryan Martin asked Colorado Buck if he was on the Vidal Sasoon pro staff. Good times.

Maybe a dozen years back I was drinking beers in Vegas at Shot Show with a couple friends, and maybe @Eric Albus or his cousin or brother not sure was there, but we were having a nice time. Colorado Buck was there and my friend Bryan Martin asked Colorado Buck if he was on the Vidal Sasoon pro staff. Good times.
Colorado Buck must not have taken offense at the comment as I saw the more recent video of his Marco Polo sheep hunt. There was some fine marksmanship displayed in that video.

I know that is a black bear obviously. But just in case someone unfamiliar is reading this thread, what sort of characteristics do you guys look for in order to distinguish between them?

And using deer points to determine age doesn't work. Usually a large spike buck will stay a spike buck forever, need to cull them from the herd so u get better bucks the next season.

I know that is a black bear obviously. But just in case someone unfamiliar is reading this thread, what sort of characteristics do you guys look for in order to distinguish between them?

And using deer points to determine age doesn't work. Usually a large spike buck will stay a spike buck forever, need to cull them from the herd so u get better bucks the next season.

If they're listening to Jazz, it's a black bear. If it's Swedish death metal, it's a grizz.

Or: use a combination of ears, face shape, coat & hump.

Like those folks who insist that you can look a deer’s teeth and tell how old it is when everyone knows you just count the points on the horns.😳
R-I-I-G-G-H-H-T-T!!!
(snicker, snort, chortle!)
...and a buck's hoof always leaves a splayed track while a doe's hoof does not!
A splayed deer track the length of a .30-'06 shell is a guaranteed "monster" buck with "turtty pints"!

"Yeah! I seen 'im! He wadn't a hunnerd yards away thru them trees. I counted 14 points when he ran by!"

I'm no "bear 'spurt", 'cept maybe fer Yogi and Boo-Boo, but I believe you other "bear 'spurts" would call that a "cinnamon phase" black bear.

(or is that ciminum-innum?)

If they're listening to Jazz, it's a black bear. If it's Swedish death metal, it's a grizz.
This is pretty accurate.

Or: use a combination of ears, face shape, coat & hump.
Combination is really the key a black bear, especially if you just had a quick look, can have grizz like any of these.

In photos another tell are the claws
1624023243977.png
1624023279492.png

1624023235055.png
1624023347170.png

I think a good analogy to the identification issue is apple versus tomato. When you go to the store you don't confuse the two, but it's not that easy to describe the differences between the two to someone.

There really isn't any description that you can provide for a grizzly that couldn't also accurately describe a black bear. 700lbs, has a hump, brown with silvery fur, more dish faced...

1624024408695.png1624024394305.png
1624024519151.png1624024817683.png

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back