Caribou Gear Tarp

Hughes Creek gate update

So I got 4 likes for my post but no replies. I know I'm not "from Montana" but I really would like to know what might happen if someone DID take matters into their own hands.
Landowners are bat shit crazy, and you might want to be well armed if decide to take matters into your own hands. Kind of like south side Chicago, only more remote.

Usual crime for damaging someone’s property in MT is criminal mischief misdemeanor if under $1500 or felony if over $1500.
45-6-101. Criminal mischief. (1) A person commits the offense of criminal mischief if the person knowingly or purposely:
(a) injures, damages, or destroys any property of another or public property without consent;

LE may struggle to prove who owns property?

Okie dokie! Just had to ask. Good luck with the process.
These guys are emboldened by a Governor with a mug shot and a couple of FWP violations, a state auditor with his own FWP woes and a legislature that gives not 2 shits.

Montana has gone full Ike Clanton “law don’t go around here”

These guys are emboldened by a Governor with a mug shot and a couple of FWP violations, a state auditor with his own FWP woes and a legislature that gives not 2 shits.

Montana has gone full Ike Clanton “law don’t go around here”
Don’t forget the Attorney General that has spent 10 years blocking public access to the Culbertson VFW Park along the Missouri River.

Very interesting topic. I think most of us in the east really have no idea as the depth and complexity of issues that you who live in the West face in re to access to public ground. I know that I sure don’t. Good luck with this issue. Hope it gets resolved for you all.

With those of you with fire in your belly over this issue - in the late 90s or early 2000 Andie Mcdowell and her ex husband bought a ranch in the middle of the Ninemile valley near Missoula. Soon after the gates went up and access was denied to two if not three drainages including a Forest Service road. I mapped the minerals on the federal land on horseback because her woods cop couldn't catch me. Most of the development was too late for a 2477 road but I never saw anyone complain about that one. There are plenty of examples of these kinds of problems if you so desire I'm just glad it is no longer a headache in my office.

With those of you with fire in your belly over this issue - in the late 90s or early 2000 Andie Mcdowell and her ex husband bought a ranch in the middle of the Ninemile valley near Missoula. Soon after the gates went up and access was denied to two if not three drainages including a Forest Service road. I mapped the minerals on the federal land on horseback because her woods cop couldn't catch me. Most of the development was too late for a 2477 road but I never saw anyone complain about that one. There are plenty of examples of these kinds of problems if you so desire I'm just glad it is no longer a headache in my office.
So did you bring this forward to anyone at any organization that might have a fire burning in their belly over this closure? What exactly did you do other than map minerals on the federal lands and hide from a "Woods cop" that could do zero to you on those public lands?
Public lands access only works if the public gets involved.

Shared where I could but a leadership position as a state employee was not advisable. Not and survive the politics. Covering the entire state I saw a lot of those situations and I only covered the mineralized areas.

A statement from PLWA

PLWA received reports of a new gate and sign being erected in Ravalli County this July, and after working to investigate with our partner organization Ravalli County Fish & Wildlife Association, we obtained proof that the road had been closed once again. A threatening sign had been erected [see photos below], and in spite of multiple court cases declaring the road public, access was obstructed.

We have been working with the local Sheriff's department and county officials, and are awaiting a court order mandating immediate removal of the gate and signage this month. If such an order is not served or is not heeded, PLWA is ready with further action. Hughes Creek is a public road granting access to thousands upon thousands of acres of National Forest. Gating it is quite simply, illegal.

If you haven’t sent money to PLWA lately now is the time.

I didn't know simple trespassing was a capital offense 🤨

Seems like about 50 people should go have a nice campout this weekend 🤔

Back