Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Illinois gun ban ruled "constitutional".

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll bet he did NOT fill out any paperwork!
Exactly lol

Call me crazy, but seems like maybe we should ask LEOs what rules or regs would help them crack down on straw buys, fencing stolen guys, etc. and then consider those measures... without calling the LEOs redcoats ;)

Might not be a firearm law at all... just seems like that's not happening.

There is your bias again. I don’t think anyone is deciding to go easy on criminals. I’m going to go out on a limb and predict that violent criminals don’t vote much and catering to them isn’t exactly a winning strategy. I think it is far more complicated than you want to believe. I would also guess White collar criminals have a higher voting %. 😀
The DA's that go easy on criminals are starting to get culled, but it's a bit like whack a mole.

"Since then, 12 of those Soros-affiliated prosecutors have departed, resigned, been defeated or removed, LELDF indicated. This includes Baltimore's Marilyn Mosby, San Francisco's Chesa Boudin and Tampa's Andrew Warren."

There is your bias again. I don’t think anyone is deciding to go easy on criminals. I’m going to go out on a limb and predict that violent criminals don’t vote much and catering to them isn’t exactly a winning strategy. I think it is far more complicated than you want to believe. I would also guess White collar criminals have a higher voting %. 😀
So who exactly pushed for cashless bail?

It's not bias if it's based on personal observations where I live, and reported in real news outlets. You should check out news concerning certain city and county district attorneys in certain states, including Oregon and California, getting kicked out of office because their lax approach to prosecuting crime is backfiring. The Multnomah County Oregon DA is probably on his way out because he's trying the reform approach to justice. Not working.

On the last one headline reads: "Multnomah County’s Top Prosecutor Is Betting His Future on an Aggressive Program Designed to Keep Violent Offenders Out of Prison
Whether the strategy works will depend on voters’ appetite for criminal justice reform during an upswing in violent crime."

From 2019, with some quotes that foretold the future: demoralizing law enforcement and dangerous to public safety:

Last edited:
Stolen? How do you think people get them? Fill out the FFL form and hope their felony doesn't show up on the BGC?
⬇️
Exactly lol

Call me crazy, but seems like maybe we should ask LEOs what rules or regs would help them crack down on straw buys, fencing stolen guys, etc. and then consider those measures... without calling the LEOs redcoats ;)

Might not be a firearm law at all... just seems like that's not happening.

Stolen, Straw buys, Buying from a fence, and yeah probably a lot of felonies not showing up on BGCs tons of articles about the issues with BGC and counties reporting felonies in a digital format that can be easily flagged in a db.

⬇️

Stolen, Straw buys, Buying from a fence, and yeah probably a lot of felonies not showing up on BGCs tons of articles about the issues with BGC and counties reporting felonies in a digital format that can be easily flagged in a db.
True, in another thread you or I had noted posted an article or two about the disconnect between NICS and state or local agencies, including some states' resistance to being better connected.

Regardless, the straw purchaser is turned into a felon himself and goes to prison, don't go soft on him because of his feelings. Then then when he gets out, no more firearm buying.

True, in another thread you or I had noted posted an article or two about the disconnect between NICS and state or local agencies, including some states' resistance to being better connected.

Regardless, the straw purchaser is turned into a felon himself and goes to prison, don't go soft on him because of his feelings. Then then when he gets out, no more firearm buying.
Agreed. I think in the case of straw purchasers it's usually a GF with no record who bought the gun and the DA goes easy... which is part of the reason it continues to be so prevalent.

Probably also difficult to prove.

I believe (could be wrong) that MA not only has a registration requirement but a reporting stolen requirement. If you have guns "stolen" all the time you lose your license. I think it's all a straw buying measure.

More people in prison = higher taxes. Conservative conundrum.

When they get out many can't get employment or housing because of criminal record. Their only options available are not so legal. The more we incarcerate, the more will recidivate.

Prison is a cruel, expensive and ineffective venue for treating mental illness:
Percent of people in state prisons who have been diagnosed with a mental disorder: 43% + In locally-run jails: 44% + Number of people experiencing "serious psychological distress" in jails: 1 in 4 + Percent of people in federal prisons who reported not receiving any mental health care while incarcerated: 66%

More people in prison = higher taxes. Conservative conundrum.

When they get out many can't get employment or housing because of criminal record. Their only options available are not so legal. The more we incarcerate, the more will recidivate.

Prison is a cruel, expensive and ineffective venue for treating mental illness:
Percent of people in state prisons who have been diagnosed with a mental disorder: 43% + In locally-run jails: 44% + Number of people experiencing "serious psychological distress" in jails: 1 in 4 + Percent of people in federal prisons who reported not receiving any mental health care while incarcerated: 66%

I think a lot of them found their way into local government positions... All joking aside, let's keep in mind the other side of this. If no one's incarcerated, or everyone is released on cashless bail, or released "early", then ongoing "costs" on society are likely to include more crime, both to property and people. That's not going to work.

Here's recent 2023 story about a suspected serial killer who Oregon let out early:

And here's another 2023 story from Oregon which I've posted before, where a homeless guy (and felon) assaulted a little kid and said he wanted to go back to prison.

Here's one from 2022 in Oregon:

A google search results in similar stories.

I have found this to not be true. Or should I say the level of due process definitely seems to be directly related to one's wealth.
Yeah, that was the point of cash-less bail. Due to backlogs in the system poor people were spending a lot of time in jail because they didn’t have cash to make bail. Essentially serving jail time without being found guilty, often of non-violent offenses.

I think a lot of them found their way into local government positions... All joking aside, let's keep in mind the other side of this. If no one's incarcerated, or everyone is released on cashless bail, or released "early", then ongoing "costs" on society are likely to include more crime, both to property and people. That's not going to work.

Here's recent 2023 story about a suspected serial killer who Oregon let out early:

And here's another 2023 story from Oregon which I've posted before, where a homeless guy (and felon) assaulted a little kid and said he wanted to go back to prison.

Here's one from 2022 in Oregon:

A google search results in similar stories.
No system is perfect. All it does is allow people to pick the imperfections to support their argument. We could raise taxes and build more prisons, but prisons haven’t had a great track record of “reform and rehabilitation”. People can pretend that “voting for their party” would change it, but it won’t. Seems like a no-win for the people who generally obey the law. That we can agree on I’m sure. Although it might explain why societal rules and norms are violated more often now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back