Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Illinois gun ban ruled "constitutional".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave N

The news is now carrying this update to the lawsuit against Illinois and Gov. Pritzker. Bummer, though it ain't over yet! I have seen our local paper stating that sheriffs will not "actively enforce" the new law. The part about registering ARs is what bothers a majority of us. The State doesn't "need" to know what I otherwise legally have in my home.

https://apnews.com/article/semiauto...nois-lawsuit-20ac9906075d14c98d896e317553352c

Clearly 90% of of the citizens have no idea what this quote below really means, but outrage sells. If you don’t like that states get to make their own laws on this stuff, talk to the Supreme Court.

“the high court found that the Protect Our Communities Act does not violate the federal Constitution’s guarantee of equal protection of the law nor the state constitution’s bar on special legislation.”

Clearly 90% of of the citizens have no idea what this quote below really means, but outrage sells. If you don’t like that states get to make their own laws on this stuff, talk to the Supreme Court.

“the high court found that the Protect Our Communities Act does not violate the federal Constitution’s guarantee of equal protection of the law nor the state constitution’s bar on special legislation.”
And the part about registering your ARs serial numbers with the State Police doesn't sound like it's otherwise illegal?

And the part about registering your ARs serial numbers with the State Police doesn't sound like it's otherwise illegal?
What about that is unconstitutional, to be clear I didn’t like that MA required you to register all firearms you purchased, but I can’t make a constitutional argument.

And it hit me after I posted, I believe that the federal law prohibits the federal government form setting up a database. I don’t think it explicitly prohibits a state from setting one up. I will need a legal expert to give their opinion. Someone send up the @VikingsGuy signal.

This is problem with the path we are on (and why I hate this states rights BS). You end up with 50 different set of rules the average person can figure out.

As much as I really don't like big government infringing on the 2nd, I'm ok if every gun I own needs to be properly registered under my name.

When we just got those 3 guns from the passing of my wifes grandpa, we did take them all in to the local shop and paid the guy there 25 buck per to process the paperwork and get them all registered under our names. I don't really know why we did it other than we felt it didn't really hurt anything and was the "right" thing to do. That said, there are 5 firearms in my cabinet that aren't registered to my name and the 1 pistol may or may not be a "hot" gun from Chicago...or so the gentleman that gave it to me before he died says...

My understanding is that the challenge to this law was not based on 2A, but some other legal infringement. There is a second suit brought by the SAF (I think?) based on 2A grounds.

As much as I really don't like big government infringing on the 2nd, I'm ok if every gun I own needs to be properly registered under my name.

When we just got those 3 guns from the passing of my wifes grandpa, we did take them all in to the local shop and paid the guy there 25 buck per to process the paperwork and get them all registered under our names. I don't really know why we did it other than we felt it didn't really hurt anything and was the "right" thing to do. That said, there are 5 firearms in my cabinet that aren't registered to my name and the 1 pistol may or may not be a "hot" gun from Chicago...or so the gentleman that gave it to me before he died says...
IMG_9783.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back