Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hughes Creek gate update

I'm always amazed by how stupid some of you are at times and how willing you are to contribute on things you don't have any info on. When I came back to Montana the land behind the gate was owned by the church universal and triumphant.I have no idea who owns it now. I believe it is a 2477 road meaning that it was an accepted road at statehood.

What little I have driven on it, it's not much of a road. Just a two track through the dragline piles. I'm guessing that in 65 the county and the USFS were happy just to see it go away. Just nobody went through the procedure to officially abandon it. Later when they tried someone decided they liked it.

of all the 2477 litigation issues I have seen this is the first anyone fought to keep. I have seen hundreds on BLM and FS land that the agencies tried to obliterate or ignore to death.

The most recent near Butte was the county road in Modesty creek that was used and maintained. A rich NR moved in, bought the placer and closed the road. The county went to the courts, won, tore down the gate. The NR moved the gate and started the cycle over. I put my 43 years in this fight. If you want a piece of it- get your law degree, research the facts and prepare for war. Just get an informed understanding before you step into a mess like this.

I'm always amazed by how stupid some of you are at times and how willing you are to contribute on things you don't have any info on. When I came back to Montana the land behind the gate was owned by the church universal and triumphant.I have no idea who owns it now.

I’m not going to get into all the details you don’t know about this gate but most of us “stupid” folks have been fighting to get this gate removed from this county road for 20 plus years.

The landowners have lost twice at the state supreme court level and the county removed the gate once.

Maybe instead of calling names you should just write a check to PLWA and just say thank you.

Last edited:
I'm always amazed by how stupid some of you are at times and how willing you are to contribute on things you don't have any info on. When I came back to Montana the land behind the gate was owned by the church universal and triumphant.I have no idea who owns it now. I believe it is a 2477 road meaning that it was an accepted road at statehood.

What little I have driven on it, it's not much of a road. Just a two track through the dragline piles. I'm guessing that in 65 the county and the USFS were happy just to see it go away. Just nobody went through the procedure to officially abandon it. Later when they tried someone decided they liked it.

of all the 2477 litigation issues I have seen this is the first anyone fought to keep. I have seen hundreds on BLM and FS land that the agencies tried to obliterate or ignore to death.

The most recent near Butte was the county road in Modesty creek that was used and maintained. A rich NR moved in, bought the placer and closed the road. The county went to the courts, won, tore down the gate. The NR moved the gate and started the cycle over. I put my 43 years in this fight. If you want a piece of it- get your law degree, research the facts and prepare for war. Just get an informed understanding before you step into a mess like this.
Sir, thank you for your service.

How many times do you have to lose at the Supreme Court level before you really lost? Asking for a friend.

Why the kid gloves? There has got to be something I am missing. "Want to give them more time." "Want to make sure they receive the letter." "Want to check with the county attorney." Interesting way to set an example.

Hey, the guys that aren't from Montana, and will probably never head up Hughes Creek have the answers. mtmuley

Why the kid gloves? There has got to be something I am missing. "Want to give them more time." "Want to make sure they receive the letter." "Want to check with the county attorney." Interesting way to set an example.
For decades the county commissioners have skirted the issue. Pressure applied by sportsmen groups is the only reason it’s got this far.
This is what you get with straight ticket politics.
Numerous bills have been introduced to increase the fines for illegal gates. Always voted down.

Our all R representatives and senators know about the illegal gate and yet do absolutely nothing.

Yea, if you aren’t from the area, you can’t have an opinion. As a matter of fact if you live below 3000 feet STFU. If you aren’t the foremost expert on access issues, conservation, or public land management, keep your damn mouth shut.

The douchebaggery is strong in many….

Ok, I'll ask the question. Say someone ripped the gate out. The county has declared that it was illegally put there. What could the landowner do? Call the cops? What could they charge you with? Thrown out in court? Just asking, as I don't know about those things.
So I got 4 likes for my post but no replies. I know I'm not "from Montana" but I really would like to know what might happen if someone DID take matters into their own hands.

So I got 4 likes for my post but no replies. I know I'm not "from Montana" but I really would like to know what might happen if someone DID take matters into their own hands.
Not from Montana either. I think I posted about it before but down here a decade ago when I encountered an illegal gate blocking a public road, upon calling the Sheriff, I was instructed to save him a trip and tear it down. Which I did, rather gleefully.

Seems this landowner in Montana probably has some connections, not that the landowner down here didn’t. I got the impression that the Sheriff here wanted to establish a precedent.

From what I hear about the landowners behind the gate what might happen is you would get shot.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back