Does Wyoming's new elk results date change your plans?

Yup. Changes my plans, as I agree with what Buzz has predicted above. I'll apply with that expectation in mind.

It will make my multi state get an elk tag every year across multiple states strategy obsolete, this is going to take some pondering between now and Jan 31 to develop a new plan! The slow point creep has burned multiple guys I know over the last 4 years, especially in Colorado, looks like every 4th year to draw Wyoming now rather than 3rd, the Colorado deadline conflicts perfectly with Wyoming's new date to release results. The way non-residents are getting bent over around the country, I may end up being forced to be a hiker that basket weaves within 10 years. edit,,,I looked at the my points and the draw odds,,,worse than I thought,,,sitting on the bubble all over the place for elk,,,guess I should have stayed home and saved my points in the past,,lol!

Last edited:
Its not going to effect my plans for applying but for those who apply in multiple states, I see this effecting a majority of the western states, not just WY.

Yes, the early Wyoming draw results, have always dictated where else I apply for the year. I can only afford to do one hunt a year. So, Wyoming will likely get a pass.

Five years ago, when I could only make one hunt trip per year happen, yes it would have been a huge deal for me. If I were applying in Wyoming, I'd probably have a leftover or OTC backup plan in place for when I don't draw. Or, possibly put a 100% Type 4 tag as a second choice.

I'm blessed now to have the resources to do 3, 4, or 5 trips per year, so I throw out applications then fill the calendar with what I draw. So no change for me, other than prolonging the anticipation of the draw results.

Yes it changes my plans. With only being able to do one western hunt per year, Wyoming deer was always a fall back.....now it looks like Wyoming deer and elk in the same year......hell yes :cool:

Five years ago, when I could only make one hunt trip per year happen, yes it would have been a huge deal for me. If I were applying in Wyoming, I'd probably have a leftover or OTC backup plan in place for when I don't draw. Or, possibly put a 100% Type 4 tag as a second choice.

I'm blessed now to have the resources to do 3, 4, or 5 trips per year, so I throw out applications then fill the calendar with what I draw. So no change for me, other than prolonging the anticipation of the draw results.

I think this is going to be the kicker for a lot of guys. I'm still in that one trip a year season of my life and this means I can't be waiting on Wyoming that long. I'll still go there eventually, but probably just keep buying points until I'm sure I can snag that general tag.

Yes, the early Wyoming draw results, have always dictated where else I apply for the year. I can only afford to do one hunt a year. So, Wyoming will likely get a pass.

This is a curve ball I’m facing as well. Probably won’t pass, but it’s a big factor in some newly complex decision making.

Biggest change for me is applying for Wyo as a NR instead of a resident this year. But with this date change, what I apply for will be dependent on if I draw a bull or deer tag in another state. More than likely I'll still put in for antelope and at the very least a cow tag. I like to hunt Wyo too much to skip it, even if I am chasing only cow/calf tags.

If you can cancel your app until May 8th, does that mean a full refund? So if you are a one trip/year guy the only states unknown at that point would be UT and CO right? I guess it sucks they'd hold your money that long but theoretically you could draw in NM and/or MT and get a full refund before May 8th. Am I understanding that correctly?

If you can cancel your app until May 8th, does that mean a full refund? So if you are a one trip/year guy the only states unknown at that point would be UT and CO right? I guess it sucks they'd hold your money that long but theoretically you could draw in NM and/or MT and get a full refund before May 8th. Am I understanding that correctly?

Full refund minus app fee and 2.5% cc fee. Still cheaper than the license you have to buy to apply in most states.

Dont leave our Arizona

yes,it changes my plans on the multi-state game a bunch,,i sent wyoming a mean e-mail letting them know im pissed off,, they are ripping us for more time and moneys.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back