Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Another MFW dumb regulation change

100 posts... figured it's time to introduce myself to all participants:

Hello, my userID is Sytes. I'm happy to join the rest of you at Bored As Shit Annonymous.

Look forward to meeting the rest of my fellow HT bored as shit brethren to entertain the musing masses with another post.

Where's the popcorn?

I've been doing it for years. This stuff with the hunters ed cert number is new. I have all the other info I need and can usually get it done quickly ... if their system works. Seems it doesn't like me. I agree the combo is a helluva deal and surprised so few take advantage of it. I usually buy the most expensive package though I know it's unlikely I'll actually harvest an elk. Have to hunt with my brother and his health is waning. I could as easily just buy the deer tag combo, save a couple hundred bucks, and still hunt with him when he's trying for elk. We'd never shoot more than one elk between us anyway. But I figure the state can use the money, especially this year. Gotta feed the LEs' gas tanks.
I believe I had to submit my hunters Ed card before. I didn’t have mine either, but it’s pretty easy to track down. I believe someone already mentioned the process. This year the system didn’t ask for my documentation, so I emailed it to the contact information. They accepted it. I guess we earn the discount in a way.

My priority is hunting with my brother also. It’s a blessing.

I believe I had to submit my hunters Ed card before. I didn’t have mine either, but it’s pretty easy to track down. I believe someone already mentioned the process. This year the system didn’t ask for my documentation, so I emailed it to the contact information. They accepted it. I guess we earn the discount in a way.

My priority is hunting with my brother also. It’s a blessing.
I think maybe before this year it was either proof of hunters ed or the last year with a resident license. This year both were required. Strangely, I have never provided them with proof of a past resident hunting license (though I could have ... I have a box full of punched tags). All they asked for was the last year I had a resident license. Just fill in the blank with a date. I did have a resident deer tag in 2007 (filled with a buck the next day) but the gal at the Glasgow FWP office could only find a fishing license for the following year in the system. Might be because I started the 2007 fall bird hunting season as a nonresident, having moved back to help care for my dying mom April 30. By end of big game season I was eligible for resident deer tag. So I started with a nonresident conservation and bird license and ended with a resident deer tag. I wonder how that was inputted into the system? Anyway, I have plenty of proof of hunting as a resident before 1987 if they can't find that in their system. Seems just finding anything on me in the system is a problem.

I think maybe before this year it was either proof of hunters ed or the last year with a resident license. This year both were required. Strangely, I have never provided them with proof of a past resident hunting license (though I could have ... I have a box full of punched tags). All they asked for was the last year I had a resident license. Just fill in the blank with a date. I did have a resident deer tag in 2007 (filled with a buck the next day) but the gal at the Glasgow FWP office could only find a fishing license for the following year in the system. Might be because I started the 2007 fall bird hunting season as a nonresident, having moved back to help care for my dying mom April 30. By end of big game season I was eligible for resident deer tag. So I started with a nonresident conservation and bird license and ended with a resident deer tag. I wonder how that was inputted into the system? Anyway, I have plenty of proof of hunting as a resident before 1987 if they can't find that in their system. Seems just finding anything on me in the system is a problem.
Time spent talking to folks on the phone/ on this thread > taking the online class

Just saying.

Wanna know what I am mad about? My NR brother and several friends used to save up for NR tags and come hunting with me every other year. Then tags increased to nearly $1200 and the elk hunting got worse in the process. It’s no longer worth spending their hard earned money on what MT has to offer so they don’t.

That ruined a pretty good hunting tradition we enjoyed for over a decade. If we had better quality hunting they might try to save up and come back. In the meantime they hunt CO.

Was it formerly past license or hunters ed? I thought past license was always a requisite for applying. Hmmm. Well then, that fix makes sense.
Yes, it was OR.

Now they could have limited to past license holders but, they elected to make it both

No matter how you want to paint it, you need to be weaned. You aren’t a resident, you made your choice, now deal with it.

Who still pays more toward the conservation of Montana species; come home to hunt or resident? I just spent about $900 between the combo, draws and pronghorn as a come home to hunt guy. I don’t mind the price at all to hunt with my brother.

Who still pays more toward the conservation of Montana species; come home to hunt or resident? I just spent about $900 between the combo, draws and pronghorn as a come home to hunt guy. I don’t mind the price at all to hunt with my brother.
What you didn't pay is a lifetime of lower wages of living here. I also paid Montana property taxes that would surprise you at how expensive it is to live here. I could have done the same work anywhere else in America and been paid substantially more for the same job. $900.00 pales in comparison.

You choose to live where you are and come here because of what Montana has to offer. I chose to live here because I spent more time in the woods here than I could living somewhere else.

The price isn't always in dollars.

What you didn't pay is a lifetime of lower wages of living here. I also paid Montana property taxes that would surprise you at how expensive it is to live here. I could have done the same work anywhere else in America and been paid substantially more for the same job. $900.00 pales in comparison.

You choose to live where you are and come here because of what Montana has to offer. I chose to live here because I spent more time in the woods here than I could living somewhere else.

Spot on now let’s see your moose. @Gerald Martin is taking a run at you with his elk he keeps posting.

I come back to Montana to hunt strictly because my family lives there.

If they didn't still live there, I wouldn't apply....Wyoming crushes Montana hunting wise, fishing for the most part as well.

I respect that. I left to double my wages. Montana doesn’t value teachers the way they should. My friends and I nearly all left for higher wages. My first year in Butte I made 18k, and my kids would have qualified for free and reduced lunch.

I left for higher wages, and pay more for that reason. My Mom still lives there, and so does my brother. I come for weeks a year spending my money all over the state. I would pay whatever the cost, but I respect the stated intent of the program.

Do you think the prices of in-state tags are fair?

I come back to Montana to hunt strictly because my family lives there.

If they didn't still live there, I wouldn't apply....Wyoming crushes Montana hunting wise, fishing for the most part as well.
You could just hunt with them without tags. mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back