Another MFW dumb regulation change

It’s hit or miss. My bow hunter safety is on there but my regular hunter safety is not, thankfully I am much younger than Ontario and I have my card laminated and in a folder at home.
There is a button to click if I remember right where you can request a search of the archives, if yours does not come up. I don’t know how far back it goes or if it would go far enough back for Ontario.
It’s also probably not instantaneous.
Say you couldn't find it, could you retake it, or since you are no longer a MT resident would that not count?

Regarding the come home to hunt program, I'm not a fan.
I have gone back and forth on that one since I became aware of it. I think at this point, I 70% love it, 30% hate it (not that it really affects me). What I love about it is the recognition that hunting is an important family tradition and that it makes it possible for families to keep hunting together after some of them end up in other places. What I hate about it is the birthright aspect and the implicit recognition that NR license prices are absurd.

Is anyone aware of any other states that have a similar program?

I have gone back and forth on that one since I became aware of it. I think at this point, I 70% love it, 30% hate it (not that it really affects me). What I love about it is the recognition that hunting is an important family tradition and that it makes it possible for families to keep hunting together after some of them end up in other places. What I hate about it is the birthright aspect and the implicit recognition that NR license prices are absurd.

Is anyone aware of any other states that have a similar program?
I'm against it, I think if those folks you had mentioned had some skin in the game the whole system wouldn't be such a dumpster fire.

MT... ok if you have a even vague connection to the state "these rules", if your paying outfitters "these rules", everybody else "GFY"

I'm against it, I think if those folks you had mentioned had some skin in the game the whole system wouldn't be such a dumpster fire.

MT... ok if you have a even vague connection to the state "these rules", if your paying outfitters "these rules", everybody else "GFY"
Wonder what ever happened to making the regulations simpler?

Wonder what ever happened to making the regulations simpler?
Agreed, wasn't that the whole sales pitch?

But yeah @Dougfirtree my little sister works fully remote, she could easily move to Bozeman and then I would qualify for come home to hunt... that's dumb, I should not qualify. I pay full price in CO should pay full price in MT.

The gal who finally answered the phone got it all sorted out. No one knows why the FWP system won't let me input and/or submit but she could do it on her end. I'm not alone. The system has lots of glitches.

Very nice lady and she is at Glagow office not Helena. Not sure why I got forwarded to their office but I have her number now and will have a quick line to help if needed in the future. I know I have met her because I always stop at that office on my way west to pick up latest BMA map. Great folks. The lady who works front desk at Havre office is also very helpful and pleasant.
I know why. It's the last day to apply for elk and deer. I'm sure the servers are a little warm.

Agreed, wasn't that the whole sales pitch?

But yeah @Dougfirtree my little sister works fully remote, should could easily move to Bozeman and then I would qualify for come home to hunt... that's dumb, I should not qualify.
I admit, I'm not up on the specifics. I thought it was a little more restrictive than just having a relative in-state. One thing's for sure, there's nothing "fair" about it. But I do appreciate the intention to allow families to continue their traditions.

I admit, I'm not up on the specifics. I thought it was a little more restrictive than just having a relative in-state. One thing's for sure, there's nothing "fair" about it. But I do appreciate the intention to allow families to continue their traditions.
If they want to keep their traditions they should fight to allow some DIY NR hunting 🤷‍♂️

(I was a resident and had a resident hunting license + Hunter Ed, which is the requirement)

Last edited by a moderator:
even though I qualify for and take advantage of non resident native licenses, I don’t really know that I support its existence. But then again, I have a lifetime license in Arizona, that I will use for the rest of my life after I move back to Montana in a couple of years.

I would not be opposed to come home to hunt and nonresident native going away, but I think Montana has a lot bigger fish to fry when it comes to catering to non-residents than that, but they seem to be going in the opposite direction.

I'm attempting to fill out my Come Home to Hunt draw application for this year and note a new change that just may mean I'm not coming home to hunt. Now I'm required to provide the year I last held a Montana hunting license and something new "verification" that I passed Montana hunters safety course. I took the course when I was eleven years old in Columbia Falls. I will be seventy this coming hunting season. How the hell am I supposed to dig up proof? I didn't hang onto my card because in those days it wasn't needed after I turned eighteen. My instructor just died last year ... at age 101 (also was my dad's best friend). I MIGHT have a punched deer tag saved from back in the days when still young enough I would have needed the card to get a resident Montana license but I doubt it. A while back I looked for the tag for my 1971 bull elk and couldn't find it. So what does the state expect us old timers to do, return to the state and take the course again? Are other non-resident applicants required to provide proof of Montana's hunter ed course? I passed the Ontario course here back in 1990 and it was quite rigorous (extremely dumbed down now).

It certainly looks like this is a thinly disguised attempt to phase out the Come Home to Hunt program. From what I have been told we are not taking a big bite out of the resource as there's always lots of tags left over every year.

I’ve had to do it too. I had to provide my brothers info too. I created. Folder on my computer when they started that and just accept it as a small ask for a big reward.

I’m not opposed to the reduced price of come home to hunt licenses, just that they are an additional 500 deer and 500 elk tags sold to NR over and above the 17,500 cap.

Not only that but I read a news article that stated an additional 1500 NR deer and 1500 NR elk were sold last year to accommodate the last minute change allowing outfitter clients unsuccessful in the draw to buy a tag OTC

Reactions: DFS
I’ve had to do it too. I had to provide my brothers info too. I created. Folder on my computer when they started that and just accept it as a small ask for a big reward.
I've been doing it for years. This stuff with the hunters ed cert number is new. I have all the other info I need and can usually get it done quickly ... if their system works. Seems it doesn't like me. I agree the combo is a helluva deal and surprised so few take advantage of it. I usually buy the most expensive package though I know it's unlikely I'll actually harvest an elk. Have to hunt with my brother and his health is waning. I could as easily just buy the deer tag combo, save a couple hundred bucks, and still hunt with him when he's trying for elk. We'd never shoot more than one elk between us anyway. But I figure the state can use the money, especially this year. Gotta feed the LEs' gas tanks.

A bit more than a little. The Come Home to Hunt hunter must 1) have formerly been a resident of the state, 2) formerly held a resident hunting license, 3) now he must have formerly passed the state's hunters ed program [keep in mind that in the old days people over the legal age of maturity could move to the state and obtain a resident license after obtaining residency without taking hunters ed so those folks apparently would now not qualify for come home to hunt], 4) have an immediate family member still living in the state who a) has a valid Montana resident hunting license and who b) will be hunting big game with the nonresident hunter. The combo package does include a bird license but the nonresident is allowed to hunt them without being accompanied by his resident relative (I cleared that up with Hank W a couple of years ago). And he can fish solo too which is part of the package.

A bit more than a little. The Come Home to Hunt hunter must 1) have formerly been a resident of the state, 2) formerly held a resident hunting license, 3) now he must have formerly passed the state's hunters ed program [keep in mind that in the old days people over the legal age of maturity could move to the state and obtain a resident license after obtaining residency without taking hunters ed so those folks apparently would now not qualify for come home to hunt], 4) have an immediate family member still living in the state who a) has a valid Montana resident hunting license and who b) will be hunting big game with the nonresident hunter. The combo package does include a bird license but the nonresident is allowed to hunt them without being accompanied by his resident relative (I cleared that up with Hank W a couple of years ago). And he can fish solo too which is part of the package.
The older folks just have to take MT online hunters safety course.

Last edited:
Back