Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Another MFW dumb regulation change

I'll dust off the computer. Do you use the card replacement function? That's the only thing I see that will provide that information. That site is kind of a mess.

I love how you called him an A-hole just a moment ago and are now asking him for advice!!! 🤣

Don't change Ontario, we love you the way you are!!!

I understand the appeal to those who qualify. If I were in the same shoes, I'd like it also.

I just think "residency" means something. The come home to hunt program is a bit like a birth right.

That said, I'm not on any crusade to change it.
It does...$16 deer tags and $20 elk tags

Quit bitching and log into the fwp website your hunters safety will be there.

My dad took Montana hunters safety in 1957 and his is there.
It’s hit or miss. My bow hunter safety is on there but my regular hunter safety is not, thankfully I am much younger than Ontario and I have my card laminated and in a folder at home.
There is a button to click if I remember right where you can request a search of the archives, if yours does not come up. I don’t know how far back it goes or if it would go far enough back for Ontario.
It’s also probably not instantaneous.

@OntarioHunter Just post the first 3 letters of your first and last name along with your date of birth. I'll look it up and PM it to you. Then this thread can be deleted. Geez.
I just tried it using my brother's info to see if maybe this was a problem with records from Columbia Falls but the site won't go any further than input his info and then stops. Submit does nothing.

After another half hour on hold I finally got through to a very pleasant lady. She is going to get to the bottom of it. Apparently I'm not the only one having trouble accessing this info.

This is apparently a case of the legislature not consulting with FWP about the workability of the proposed change ... or someone in FWP put it in their heads without checking into workability first.

For the uninformed: There is a limit on Come Home to Hunt combos (which is why we have to draw for them) and the limit is almost never (if ever) filled. As I recall a couple hundred combos for both deer combo and deer/elk combos. They are NOT cheap. Not as expensive as regular NR licenses but no giveaway like resident tags. I think deer/elk combo is now up to $550? I don't believe these buy any points for other draws (no interest in that so can't say for sure). Again, I'm not sure but I don't think these combos can be used for special draws (e.g. sheep). Seem to recall only the full monty NR license is good for that. I have no interest in competing for those tags so unsure.

Edit: Come Home to Hunt can apply for special draw tags. I think that's over the top. Should be only resident and full monty nonresident applicants.

Last edited:
It's been almost a whole day killed with this and still can't get it done. Now their system can't find my ALS #. I think this also happened two years ago. My license was lost in the mail three times (probably accidentally metered for US postage) so I waited to pick up a replacement when I got to Montana. The guy at Glasgow hardware store was tied up for almost an hour calling into Helena. They couldn't figure it out either. Then suddenly it just worked.

I don’t think waiting until the last moment is wise when dealing with Montana FWP.

The change was purportedly because people gamed the system by doing Montana hunters safety online and that made them eligible for come home to hunt.

Not sure adding both a prior tag and prior hunters safety was the most logical solution for legislation but 🤷🏿‍♂️

The gal who finally answered the phone got it all sorted out. No one knows why the FWP system won't let me input and/or submit but she could do it on her end. I'm not alone. The system has lots of glitches.

Very nice lady and she is at Glagow office not Helena. Not sure why I got forwarded to their office but I have her number now and will have a quick line to help if needed in the future. I know I have met her because I always stop at that office on my way west to pick up latest BMA map. Great folks. The lady who works front desk at Havre office is also very helpful and pleasant.

The gal who finally answered the phone got it all sorted out. No one knows why the FWP system won't let me input and/or submit but she could do it on her end. I'm not alone. The system has lots of glitches.

Very nice lady and she is at Glagow office not Helena. Not sure why I got forwarded to their office but I have her number now and will have a quick line to help if needed in the future. I know I have met her because I always stop at that office on my way west to pick up latest BMA map. Great folks. The lady who works front desk at Havre office is also very helpful and pleasant.
I don't see how they remain pleasant.

They also could use a significant pay raise.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back