Another MFW dumb regulation change

OntarioHunter

I'm attempting to fill out my Come Home to Hunt draw application for this year and note a new change that just may mean I'm not coming home to hunt. Now I'm required to provide the year I last held a Montana hunting license and something new "verification" that I passed Montana hunters safety course. I took the course when I was eleven years old in Columbia Falls. I will be seventy this coming hunting season. How the hell am I supposed to dig up proof? I didn't hang onto my card because in those days it wasn't needed after I turned eighteen. My instructor just died last year ... at age 101 (also was my dad's best friend). I MIGHT have a punched deer tag saved from back in the days when still young enough I would have needed the card to get a resident Montana license but I doubt it. A while back I looked for the tag for my 1971 bull elk and couldn't find it. So what does the state expect us old timers to do, return to the state and take the course again? Are other non-resident applicants required to provide proof of Montana's hunter ed course? I passed the Ontario course here back in 1990 and it was quite rigorous (extremely dumbed down now).

It certainly looks like this is a thinly disguised attempt to phase out the Come Home to Hunt program. From what I have been told we are not taking a big bite out of the resource as there's always lots of tags left over every year.

I'm attempting to fill out my Come Home to Hunt draw application for this year and note a new change that just may mean I'm not coming home to hunt. Now I'm required to provide the year I last held a Montana hunting license and something new "verification" that I passed Montana hunters safety course. I took the course when I was eleven years old in Columbia Falls. I will be seventy this coming hunting season. How the hell am I supposed to dig up proof? I didn't hang onto my card because in those days it wasn't needed after I turned eighteen. My instructor just died last year ... at age 101 (also was my dad's best friend). I MIGHT have a punched deer tag saved from back in the days when still young enough I would have needed the card to get a resident Montana license but I doubt it. A while back I looked for the tag for my 1971 bull elk and couldn't find it. So what does the state expect us old timers to do, return to the state and take the course again? Are other non-resident applicants required to provide proof of Montana's hunter ed course? I passed the Ontario course here back in 1990 and it was quite rigorous (extremely dumbed down now).

It certainly looks like this is a thinly disguised attempt to phase out the Come Home to Hunt program. From what I have been told we are not taking a big bite out of the resource as there's always lots of tags left over every year.
Quit bitching and log into the fwp website your hunters safety will be there.

My dad took Montana hunters safety in 1957 and his is there.

Quit bitching and log into the fwp website your hunters safety will be there.

My dad took Montana hunters safety in 1957 and his is there.
Well, you'd think they'd put that in the instructions. Duh! If they have that info at hand in their database, why do they require that we provide it to them in the application? What's the point? Redundant.

It's always more effective to complain on social media than to call FWP directly.

QQ
I have been on hold already this morning for forty minutes. Also, their main contact number apparently is not working. I did get through to a recording at licensing section where I'm still on hold.

I have been on hold already this morning for forty minutes. Also, their main contact number apparently is not working. I did get through to a recording at licensing section where I'm still on hold.
You're on a computer, look it up on the website, your hunters safety card is likely there.

Regarding the come home to hunt program, I'm not a fan.

I wasnt at first but I came around...

The Native license is a bit more work, birth certificate, drivers license, hunters ed...but for a half price NR license...I take that deal.

When did you move to the state? I was two weeks old.

Edit: I just checked Dad's diary. I was ten days old when Mom was able to join him at his new job in Hungry Horse.

Last edited:
I wasnt at first but I came around...

The Native license is a bit more work, birth certificate, drivers license, hunters ed...but for a half price NR license...I take that deal.

I understand the appeal to those who qualify. If I were in the same shoes, I'd like it also.

I just think "residency" means something. The come home to hunt program is a bit like a birth right.

That said, I'm not on any crusade to change it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back