Does Wyoming's new elk results date change your plans?

Yup. Changes my plans, as I agree with what Buzz has predicted above. I'll apply with that expectation in mind.
Haha you have changed a lot of hunting areas/plans maybe we will see the same in the future.

I got into the hunting game later in life. I am content on Wyoming, Colorado and Idaho for my elk fill. I don't apply elsewhere.....so it doesn't change anything for me because I can still go OTC to Idaho or Colorado if I don't get a Wyoming tag. I just find out later now.

Reactions: LCH
I got into the hunting game later in life. I am content on Wyoming, Colorado and Idaho for my elk fill. I don't apply elsewhere.....so it doesn't change anything for me because I can still go OTC to Idaho or Colorado if I don't get a Wyoming tag. I just find out later now.

Idaho tags are on a nonresident quota and are selling out at a faster pace every year. It is possible for those to sell out before you know your Wyoming results.

Idaho tags are on a nonresident quota and are selling out at a faster pace every year. It is possible for those to sell out before you know your Wyoming results.

Once Idaho raises their prices things should go back to normal for me. :cool:

I was considering going into the draw this year instead of buying points. Finances dictate that in order to go into the draw this year, I would have to either pay CC interest or skip an application somewhere else, so it’s points for me again this year.

Changes my application strategy, but not necessarily my plans. It was nice to be able to “swing for the fences” in the cowboy state and still have time/refunded money to apply elsewhere. It seems to me like Wyoming may lose a touch of application revenue in that aspect, but if it’s good for the elk herd you’ll here no complaints from me.

Last edited:
from last years odds its about a mid 60,s percent chance at the n r reg general elk tag with 2 points,,,do you guys think its worth a gamble in the mid 60,s pct? or do ya think its better to spend the money on 1 more point?? point money vs c c interest on a mid 60,s pct draw chance?im on the fence of what to do.

I have been fortunate enough to hunt Wyoming before for antelope and elk. The change doesn’t mean much to me but I do plan to cash points in over the next year or two and stop buying them. It’s more of an age and excessive opportunity versus a reaction to Wyoming’s decision.

No, because it's the only state I'm playing the draw. Like the idea that a few others will pass it up and increase my own odds, but I doubt this will make much of a long-term impact. If I don't draw I'll have to figure out an alternative like OTC or leftover archery WT, antelope, or cow elk but there are more options than I could hunt in my lifetime, so I'm not the least bit concerned.

Also keep in mind that a high percentage of NR WY elk applicants are essentially swinging for the fences on max point units, not expecting to draw and I doubt the date change has much of any impact on their draw strategy as it doesn't matter when they find out - if they draw a glory tag they're going to hunt that hunt one way or another. Hard for me to wrap my head around but from the WY hunter hours data 10% of NR who draw a bull elk tag spend zero days hunting it. I'm sure some of it is illness and other unforseen life circumstances, but I'd bet the majority is just have other tags to hunt and can afford to burn the $700 tag.

Advantage is you have until May 8 to cancel, amend, or change your license applications. But I am a resident and I have been lucky as of late and pretty much drew everything I put in for.

Won’t change much for me. Only difference is I’ll be prepared to change hunt application May 8 depending on draw results in other states. Also it will change a few of my hunt choices in states with applications due after May 8. Nothing major. The risk of overlapping hunts is always there regardless.

Just realized that the Wyoming elk results date is 3 days after special permit applications are due for Washington. You have to chose you weapon and buy your tags before you can apply for special permits in Washington. That means I'll have to assume I'm going to draw a Wyoming general elk tag with 3 points, and base my Washington tag choices on hunting around my Wyoming dates. Not a huge deal, but definitely changes how I would normally approach my Washington tag and special permit choices if I knew that I was or wasn't going to be hunting Wyoming.

Anybody else figuring 3 points should still be a guarantee for a Wyoming general elk tag?

Just realized that the Wyoming elk results date is 3 days after special permit applications are due for Washington. You have to chose you weapon and buy your tags before you can apply for special permits in Washington. That means I'll have to assume I'm going to draw a Wyoming general elk tag with 3 points, and base my Washington tag choices on hunting around my Wyoming dates. Not a huge deal, but definitely changes how I would normally approach my Washington tag and special permit choices if I knew that I was or wasn't going to be hunting Wyoming.

Anybody else figuring 3 points should still be a guarantee for a Wyoming general elk tag?

Probably good odds but I don’t think it’s a guarantee by any means. The WY NR deadline fell prior to the virus consequences hitting and tag apps have been up across the West in spite of the virus fallout anyway.

Probably good odds but I don’t think it’s a guarantee by any means. The WY NR deadline fell prior to the virus consequences hitting and tag apps have been up across the West in spite of the virus fallout anyway.
I'm figuring it'll mostly come down to how many people with 3 or more points that had previously been applying for LQ areas decide to switch to general. Seems to be a recent trend, but if the numbers of high point general applications stays similar to previous years should still be 100% at 3 points. Guess we'll see!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back