PEAX Equipment

COVID-19 Links, facts and discussion. Politics and hyperbole welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
much as I want this to be true, I don’t think it is. This virus is spreading on both hemispheres- it’s warm in the southern right now.

This is second hand info I heard- from reputable source at pharma company- but COVID-19 is different than seasonal flu which requires colder temps to propagate. The cold temps cause the air in you nose to be, say 92f instead of 98f. The slightly lower temps gets the seasonal flu growing fast and spreading it. If air
In your nose is 98f flu dies. That is why it is seasonal - weather related.

COVID-19 is different.

Twisted, I think warm weather will save us. If we ever needed warming, it’s now.

I need to apologize to jryoung.

I own a tiny one man business. I spent Friday morning checking on customers.

Most seem ready, but I did lose one. Event planner. Lost his entire business in 2 days.

I switch between frustrated and outright anger.

I watched helpless in 09'. Now here it is again.

Then I read the Chinese knew on Nov 18.

Wife was in Cali twice in late November. We both had symptoms right after.

I'm sure it's been here for months.

Regardless. Excuse my onery attitude.
A lot of my life tied to a buisnes/occupation that is pretty well screwed.

Shop local.

They auctioned the cure at the sold out ADBSS Banquet last night.
A lady in her 60s was at our table with her husband. She has a PhD in microbiology and a bunch of fancy certifications I don’t remember, but from what I understood she researches emerging cancer treatments.
She didn’t seem overly concerned.

0FABA4AD-D684-4C1D-83ED-824DEDF07794.jpeg

Interesting article that gives a quick rundown of the current status for many countries.

The U.S. has seen 59 deaths — including the first in New York, Louisiana and Virginia — and more than 2,100 cases. In hard-hit Washington state, where 40 have died and more than 550 have been infected, officials said the disease is straining the supply of protective gear available to medical providers despite shipments from the federal government.

In the Middle East, Iran's death toll reached 611, with nearly 13,000 infections, including senior government officials.

Interview with New York City ER doctor.

It’s two days old now, which on the timeline of this virus is a lot, as data changes daily. That said a couple things I found interesting/distressing.

“Across the board from doctors to nurses to technicians, some are quite worried on a personal level as well as on a work level. Some people are like whatever, I’ll accept my fate and it can’t be that bad. There are pregnant staff who are scared because no one knows yet how this coronavirus could affect a fetus if they’re exposed.”

“It’s hard to say why we can't freely test like they are in other countries. I don't know if it's due to the testing cost or if there's something from high up, where they want to limit the data. There needs to be COVID clinics where people will be directed to these areas with specialized care that can deal with a flow of patients and easily and efficiently test them.”

The first quote gets to me a bit. Last night as my wife and I discussed social distancing, for families that have critical medical workers on the front lines, as we do, it’s only a pseudo-option. Knowing that my wife is going to work every day surrounded by vectors, is a fact many families will be living over the next couple months. When the dust settles on this it will be interesting to look at it infection rates of medical workers versus the rest of the population.

Is there a chart out of when the us started testing, how many has been tested?

Forgive me if I missed it but suspect that the huge uptick of positive test results is because we have just started really testing for it.

I agree with the guys that this has been on our shores for several months now.

For those of you who don't know, the Washington Post is granting free access to Corona Virus information. https://www.washingtonpost.com/

My wife who is 70 and soon to retire, and wishing she had already, is a respiratory therapist at our small rural hospital. They have limited the hospital to one door for access and will be screening entrants outside starting Monday I believe. So far so good, no active cases at this time, but I am sure that it will reach us.

FYI I have found this site to be the most up to date and easily navigated in terms of checking on statistics in the United States. Please leave political opinions/comments regarding NYT out of this thread. Thanks and stay safe folks.

NW WY, Jackson area. Medium craziness I’d say. TP etc is long gone. Resort locations are an odd bird on things like this. It’s just getting to be off season so that is a big benefit to locals at the moment. If there were 20,000 tourists here when this took off it would be CRAZY.
I run a youth development program that is cancelled through April 1 for now, though my office will still be staffed and open. Schools are still open but I suspect closures next week.
Had some important appts. for my daughter in SLC next week but will likely be cancelling since they are non life threatening issues.
On the bright side 1.5’ of cold, all natural toilet paper just fell from the sky last night. #manna :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back