AZ elk 2011

Congrats on a great late season bull! You definitely went where you will find the bulls hanging out this time of year in the deepest, steepest canyon(s) around.

Ron

That's a killer bull buzz. Careful, AZ may quit issuing you tags. Your success rate on bruiser bulls has been 100%! Congratulations.

That's an awesome bull Buzz.
You've done really well on those late hunts down there.

I had looked at him plenty 2 days prior and knew I'd be very happy to take him. I set up a rest while Stan was getting his rangefinder out. I got a solid rest with 2 packs and Stan ranged him at 620 yards. I told Stan I was going to dry fire on him once to make sure that I could hold the leupold dot on him when the trigger broke. The trigger broke and my dot never moved from his shoulder, something I had practiced many times this spring and summer. I made the adjustments to the turrets, double checked...slowed my heart rate, cycled a round into the chamber. I concentrated on picking a spot...and I felt the trigger break cleanly. Stan immediately said, "He wore it!" The bull nearly collapsed but regained his feet and walked maybe 10 yards and bedded. We watched him for a minute or so as he still had his head up, but it was rolling and bobbing around. Not one to take any chances, I shot him 2 more times in his bed and that was it, he never even attempted to get up. I recovered all three of the 160 grain accubonds, all on the off-side, perfectly expanded.

I'm not one for long shots, but I'd talked at length with Breaksrunner on a Wyoming bear hunt 2 years ago and as he said "having the ability to pull that trump card when you need it...is huge".

From that moment I made it a goal to get my rifle and myself up to speed to be able to "play the trump card" when needed.

Love the story and the pics Buzz, but the above portion is what really struck me while reading your account. You spent time on the long distance range this spring and summer, you did your homework on the computer and with friends, and then spent time in the field scouting, and then you were very methodical in the final stages of this hunt. Great description of how to make a long range shot possible IF you've done the prep work. You EARNED the right to play your trump card. Well done sir.

Love the story and the pics Buzz, but the above portion is what really struck me while reading your account. You spent time on the long distance range this spring and summer, you did your homework on the computer and with friends, and then spent time in the field scouting, and then you were very methodical in the final stages of this hunt. Great description of how to make a long range shot possible IF you've done the prep work. You EARNED the right to play your trump card. Well done sir.

As Bret and I were driving home discussing the hunt. One thing Bret said to me, was how impressed he was with Buzz's preshot routine. It really makes all the difference in the world to be prepared.

Great looking bull Buzz and thanks for the story, congrats!

Well done Buzz! Thanks for the great writeup and photos. You've been having a great year!

Great, great bull! You don't get to complain about elk season seeming to last all year when you kill a toad like that. Or maybe you do.

I don't know what to be more impressed by: the machine-like success you have year in and out or the pre-shot routine and discipline of your preparation. I guess both. Well done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back