AZ elk 2011

BuzzH

Earlier this year, I was surprised to find out I drew another Arizona elk permit. I drew my last one in 2008 and sure didnt expect to be back this soon hunting elk in Arizona. I apply for 2-3 units that Stan (AZ402) recommended to me several years ago.

When I drew, Stan said he would help me out narrowing down the places to look for elk. Before my hunt Stan went over some areas to look, but one canyon in particular looked very rugged, remote, and I had a feeling that I would find some bulls there.

I drove down 3 days prior to the season and met Stan and his friend Brett that evening. We drove to a spot Stan wanted to show me and we were greated by 6-7 turkeys...all longbeards. We set up and started to glass and I got lucky and spotted 3 bulls a long way off. We drove closer and one was a very respectable 6 point, not broken at all as well as 2 other smaller bulls. Great start!

The next day I headed to the canyon I thought looked good on the topo map. The map really didnt do that canyon any justice...WOW! Its a steep, brushy, rocky, cliffy bastard...no other way to describe it. I walked the edge of it for about 2.5 miles and never saw any elk, although I was sure they were there. I came to one place that was really bad and thought to myself, "Theres no way that elk could even get down there". Wrong, as I no sooner than thought it...when I spied a bull. Not just any bull, but a really, really good bull.

I watched him for a long time, he had everything you could want in a bull anywhere, long main beams, long 5ths, and solid every where else. An added bonus, he wasnt broken at all. Within an hour I'd spotted 2 other bulls near the big guy, a really nice heavy unbroken 6 point, as well as a 7x6 that had busted his 4th, 5th, and 6th on one side down to about 5-6 inches on all the points. The other side was also minus a 4th. But he was a great bull with long beams. I took some pretty good video, but marginal pics of all the bulls.

Heres the best pic I got of the biggest bull through my spotter, it was tough as the bulls were in the shade and I was roasting in the sun about 1100 yards from them.

IMG_4818.JPG

I watched them until it was just about dark and wasnt long before I spotted a 4th bull. He was a pretty cool bull, with an antler bent at the base and missing the first 2 points on the one side.

IMG_4827.JPG

The next day, I spent looking in 2 other areas and found another really good 6 point as well as 5 others that were solid. The best of those bulls had really great bottom points, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rds were all long...just a beautiful bull. He was also clean and unbroken.

I called Stan and told him about all the elk and he said he had nothing going opening morning so he'd call Brett and meet me for opening morning.

We all met and hiked into the area I'd seen the bull with the big tops and started glassing. We glassed for maybe an hour and finally Stan and I saw the big bull about at the same time. He was just feeding along, nearly in the bottom of the canyon. Stan commented that the bull was, "350+ all day long, and probably better". We were trying to decide how to get closer when all of a sudden that bull started moving fast uphill. Something had spooked him and he was gone within a couple minutes, headed toward a neighboring hunting unit...WTF? We still arent sure what spooked him, could of been a lion a bear or another hunter.

So, we decided to just continue to glass and while we were glassing we could hear something cracking the brush below us in the canyon. Stan soon located the 2nd best bull I'd found in there while scouting. The bull was working his way up the opposite side. I had looked at him plenty 2 days prior and knew I'd be very happy to take him. I set up a rest while Stan was getting his rangefinder out. I got a solid rest with 2 packs and Stan ranged him at 620 yards. I told Stan I was going to dry fire on him once to make sure that I could hold the leupold dot on him when the trigger broke. The trigger broke and my dot never moved from his shoulder, something I had practiced many times this spring and summer. I made the adjustments to the turrets, double checked...slowed my heart rate, cycled a round into the chamber. I concentrated on picking a spot...and I felt the trigger break cleanly. Stan immediately said, "He wore it!" The bull nearly collapsed but regained his feet and walked maybe 10 yards and bedded. We watched him for a minute or so as he still had his head up, but it was rolling and bobbing around. Not one to take any chances, I shot him 2 more times in his bed and that was it, he never even attempted to get up. I recovered all three of the 160 grain accubonds, all on the off-side, perfectly expanded.

I'm not one for long shots, but I'd talked at length with Breaksrunner on a Wyoming bear hunt 2 years ago and as he said "having the ability to pull that trump card when you need it...is huge".

From that moment I made it a goal to get my rifle and myself up to speed to be able to "play the trump card" when needed.

Anyway, my AZ bull:

P1240774.JPG

Stan and I:

P1240772.JPG

The pack out was not fun...it was a pure 80% slope, with no decent footing and there was only one narrow spot to even get down through the cliffs to that bull. To top it off, it was full of oak brush, cat-claw acacia, etc.

Stan and his friend Brett worked their butts off to help me and I appreciate it...alot. Big thanks to both of them...they deserve at least that. I owe you guys big...and hope to repay the favor.

Awesome bull --- kudos for going the extra mile when a lot wouldn't put in the effort! And you're right --- they don't come any better than Stan (way to go Durk!) ...

Love it. And who says you can't have any fun in those late hunts. Thinking my son and I will party app on one of those units next year. Would be a great place to spend Thanksgiving, even if my wife thinks otherwise.

Congrats to you guys. Amazing what scouting and good recon can provide for results.

Been waiting to see the the pics and hearing the story- Congratulations Buzz, beautiful bull!!! You had one of the best with you, and his recollection of the packout is hilarious. Well done boys, well done.......what a way to spend the holiday.....

Congrats on a great bull Buzz, really cool story and great pics. Sounds like some dang fine shooting as well.

I've been fortunate enough over the years to hunt with and help several guys on this board. Buzz can flat get it done when you're out in the hills. He did his homework, scouted tough areas and ended up with a great late season bull. These hunts are not gimmies by any means.

Bret (Shades Rearburger) and I had a great day out there. Congrats again on a great bull and thanks for not wanting to haul the meat home!

Is AZ402 sporting the Grizzly Adam's look or the Wham! look?

Nice bull, I would like to do the same hunts if I didn't have a bajillion AZ elk points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back