PEAX Equipment

And the Hits just keep on coming....WY now.

Well did another round of emails to all the committee members. Am I the only one that gets the sinking feeling that this will be like the prescripted MT bill meeting.

That really doesn't address who is coming and who is going. If elderly non hunters are leaving or passing, and younger non-hunters are moving out, you're not really losing any hunters. If 10K hunters moved in to replace them, that would be significant.
Purely anecdotally, I moved to WY for college and quickly decided to stick around due to the outdoor opportunities. I met a lot of people doing the same thing while I was in college, some are still around, but most have left the state, it can be a tough state to start a career.

I would be curious as to the numbers of individuals who made the move for hunting purposes in other states like Idaho or Colorado with more diverse job markets.

That really doesn't address who is coming and who is going. If elderly non hunters are leaving or passing, and younger non-hunters are moving out, you're not really losing any hunters. If 10K hunters moved in to replace them, that would be significant.

True. There's lots of people that talk about moving here to hunt, but I'm still skeptical it's a significant amount. The only thing that actually seems to move people here is the energy industry which obviously expands and contracts.

I have hunted Wyoming since the early 90's. It has gotten increasingly difficult to draw tags but I still apply and hunt there as often as I can. Wyoming and its' residents have treated me very well over the years and continue to do so now with my two sons (very reasonable prices for youth). To me it ranks as one of the best states in the West for hunting and is worth every penny in my opinion.

Of course I wish I could draw more tags, more often but I'll gladly hunt Wyoming as long and as often as I can. Hard for me to say anything negative about Wyoming when Oregon treats nonresidents much worse.

Do I want this bill to pass? No way. If it does pass, it'll likely mean the bighorn tag I hope to draw in the next 5 years will likely take 10 or more and cost alot more $. But, I don't live there and it's their state so I'll gladly take what they'll give me.

Just curious, do any NR get personal messages back when they write Wyoming legislators like I do?

The let’s just take it from non-residents game gets old. The way it feels to me is: Why don’t we just charge all non-residents $50,000 per tag, allow them to hunt only the worst unit in the state, and only allow them 10 tags. I mean, the game is there for the benefit of the residents of the state so screw everyone else, right. All we need is their money and their support when land transfer comes up. Otherwise stay in your spot and be grateful for what you get because it is a privilege that you get anything. Your not loosing any opportunity because you really deserve 0 tags. If you don’t like it, maybe you should move. Oh wait a minute don’t move here people because you’re all idiots and then it would be harder for me to draw my resident tag in that limited unit. That’s how all of this feels. Not just the Wyoming bill but the sum total of all bull hockey bills being slung this year (and every year).

I know this is not true for a good many people because of the uproar from Big Finn and others for the benefit of the unguided nonresident. They are fighting for the cause and not for personal gain and I appreciate those efforts.

The let’s just take it from non-residents game gets old. The way it feels to me is: Why don’t we just charge all non-residents $50,000 per tag, allow them to hunt only the worst unit in the state, and only allow them 10 tags. I mean, the game is there for the benefit of the residents of the state so screw everyone else, right. All we need is their money and their support when land transfer comes up. Otherwise stay in your spot and be grateful for what you get because it is a privilege that you get anything. Your not loosing any opportunity because you really deserve 0 tags. If you don’t like it, maybe you should move. Oh wait a minute don’t move here people because you’re all idiots and then it would be harder for me to draw my resident tag in that limited unit. That’s how all of this feels. Not just the Wyoming bill but the sum total of all bull hockey bills being slung this year (and every year).

I know this is not true for a good many people because of the uproar from Big Finn and others for the benefit of the unguided nonresident. They are fighting for the cause and not for personal gain and I appreciate those efforts.
Who from Wyoming are you talking about?

Frustrating from here would be how this is a bad deal for NR hunters. It just is. People can say, “bUt YoU sTiLl gEt 7250 pErMiTs!” ... well then why are you so hot to give up these general tags for the LQs? That’s right, it’s a bad deal for NR. I’ve hunted the general units, they’re not bad, but they certainly aren’t great.

Devils advocate, for a resident to complain they didn’t draw a LQ tag BUT STILL BE ABLE TO GO BUY AN OTC GENERAL TAG, is ballsy. When I’d miss the draw as a resident, sure it sucks, but oh yeah, guess I’ll pick up that general tag now.

But voicing that makes one selfish, greedy, entitled, etc etc.

YETTTT I’m supposed to jump on board to rally to save public lands? Or X, Y, Z issue facing Wyoming sportsmen.

This is a bad bill for residents and non residents. This will drastically overcrowd the general areas.

I just think its sad. We go to WY every 3-4 years, stay in the nearest town to the unit we hunt. Enjoy staying in those towns, eating, visiting new places, shopping, taking the kids with us. Crazy to think it would be every 10-12 years, if this bill passes. Sad to see what is happening to to our sport. My kid is 6, maybe he will get to hunt WY a few times a a youth and then gain maybe 3- 4 times again in his lifetime when he grows up? Maybe we be better if the feds took over all game management in federal lands (cant be any worse than this crap).

I just think its sad. We go to WY every 3-4 years, stay in the nearest town to the unit we hunt. Enjoy staying in those towns, eating, visiting new places, shopping, taking the kids with us. Crazy to think it would be every 10-12 years, if this bill passes. Sad to see what is happening to to our sport. My kid is 6, maybe he will get to hunt WY a few times a a youth and then gain maybe 3- 4 times again in his lifetime when he grows up? Maybe we be better if the feds took over all game management in federal lands (cant be any worse than this crap).
I’d be disappointed too, but surely you’re kidding on that last one.

Purely anecdotally, I moved to WY for college and quickly decided to stick around due to the outdoor opportunities. I met a lot of people doing the same thing while I was in college, some are still around, but most have left the state, it can be a tough state to start a career.

I would be curious as to the numbers of individuals who made the move for hunting purposes in other states like Idaho or Colorado with more diverse job markets.
For me it would be a retirement move. My wife and I have talked about the Rapid City area. I'd also consider the Cheyenne area if in WY. We live in rural PA, but we are still reasonably close to Pittsburgh. I don't see my wife being more than a half hour or so from a town in that size range. As a retiree, I'd be in for every draw and be pressuring the resource as much as possible while I could still do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back