PEAX Equipment

And the Hits just keep on coming....WY now.

No its not circular at all...maybe I want Resident youth to be able to hunt the Red Desert for elk before a NR, maybe I want to hunt it a second, or third time before a NR, maybe I want a family applying on a party application to hunt it more often than a NR hunter, maybe I just like to hunt different scenery and want to do so more often and have better odds of doing so.

Maybe just because I live here, have to suffer through crap winters, take a hit in income potential and promotions, sacrifice all kinds of things, to live here year round I want more tags in more areas more often over some NR that views Wyoming as a once every 1-5 year vacation spot.

Maybe its about equity in what Residents in other states receive in license allocations in the States they call home.

The fact is, I don't find a need to have justify it to a NR...

YAWN

Do you have that so you can just copy and paste or is it a bot?

I think it is important to some. Whether or not this passes, there's many residents who may never hunt a top-flight LE unit. And there's many NR's who will. I don't feel that I've been living here long enough to bitch about it, but I can imagine it being immensely frustrating to never really have a shot at a top flight unit because you can't build any points for it.
Residents could lobby for a PP system. I mean they put one in place for NR a long time ago. Then I wouldn't have watched the guy who testified today that he's put in 20 time for LE elk without drawing.

Residents could lobby for a PP system. I mean they put one in place for NR a long time ago. Then I wouldn't have watched the guy who testified today that he's put in 20 time for LE elk without drawing.
I don't think any resident would want to see a PP system at this point. They are pretty antiquated and a serious point of contention across the west. If only there were more tags allocated to residents in the random LE draw...

If the shoe were on the other foot, I think a lot of people would find retaining the crème de la crème of tags for residents a common sense policy. I have no qualms with the current system, but I get why those who have been here longer than I have are worn thin by threads like these.
I think residents should have it better than non-residents. It makes sense. I’d even go so far as saying that I think people who live in a unit should have some sort of preferential treatment over other people who are residents of that State but don’t live in that unit.

I also think there is a slippery slope argument to be made when it comes to the whittling away of the number of people willing and able to participate when you need those people in your corner.

I also think there is a slippery slope argument to be made when it comes to the whittling away of the number of people willing and able to participate when you need those people in your corner.

Yep. And this is the point we (meaning the entire forum) get stuck on. Which NR gets what and how often, and what do residents get in return? PA produces P&Y/B&C bulls but they still want to hunt here. Like it or not, there's a lot of people with fatter wallets that tempt the legislature, and they hold the cards right now.

I think residents should have it better than non-residents. It makes sense. I’d even go so far as saying that I think people who live in a unit should have some sort of preferential treatment over other people who are residents of that State but don’t live in that unit.

Lets see the letters you've written to CO, NM, AZ, UT, MT, etc. asking their residents to raise their NR allocations to more than 10%....

Is the slope only slippery in Wyoming?

Must be if you aren't whining about their allocations...and asking them to increase NR allocations.

Is the slope only slippery in Wyoming?
No sir, not at all.

It is widespread and has a lot of factors other than tag quotas in the west.

The slope is slippery right here in Louisiana. All the private land that used to be open for hunting if it wasn’t posted no longer is. Have to have written permission posted or not. The price of leasing land has went sky high placing it out of reach of a lot of people. There are more hunter efforts taking place on public land vying for less and less animals. This will eventually lead to disenfranchisement due to lack of quality opportunity. I could go on but I won’t. No one gives a crap about Louisiana.

I am sure that most States are seeing a lot of the same issues.

It is a lot of factors in a lot of places that are compounding toward one probable outcome.

No sir, not at all.

It is widespread and has a lot of factors other than tag quotas in the west.

The slope is slippery right here in Louisiana. All the private land that used to be open for hunting if it wasn’t posted no longer is. Have to have written permission posted or not. The price of leasing land has went sky high placing it out of reach of a lot of people. There are more hunter efforts taking place on public land vying for less and less animals. This will eventually lead to disenfranchisement due to lack of quality opportunity. I could go on but I won’t. No one gives a crap about Louisiana.

I am sure that most States are seeing a lot of the same issues.

It is a lot of factors in a lot of places that are compounding toward one probable outcome.
Fair enough...I can appreciate that.

Any thoughts on whether or not the increased pressure will have substantial negative effects on deer and elk herds in the general units?

Any thoughts on whether or not the increased pressure will have substantial negative effects on deer and elk herds in the general units?
Where would the increased pressure come from?

Regional NR deer quotas would not be impacted...if anything, with more R's drawing LQ deer areas, there may be a slight decrease in pressure on general deer areas. Which may be a positive for NR hunters.

Elk is the same. The Residents that draw LQ areas, would not be hunting general tags so no increase in pressure. There would be more NR general hunters, but it would pretty much be a push on pressure.

Neither scenario will have a negative effect on general deer or general elk herds.

Where would the increased pressure come from?
Sorry, too many moving parts to keep straight. I was thinking about the increased NR pressure of the LE tags going to the general units, but forgot that there will, in theory at least, be fewer residents in general units because they'll be absorbed by the increase in R LE tags.

Sorry, too many moving parts to keep straight. I was thinking about the increased NR pressure of the LE tags going to the general units, but forgot that there will, in theory at least, be fewer residents in general units because they'll be absorbed by the increase in R LE tags.
Yeah, that's a fair assumption...it may increase NR pressure on a few general areas.

However, Wyoming general areas are under opportunity management which is about 17-25 bulls per 100 cows post harvest.

The only way things would change is if a particular general unit started getting enough additional pressure to drop below 17 bulls per 100 cows. When that happens is spikes are excluded from harvest and/or season length is shortened.

For the most part our general areas are meeting or exceeding the post harvest bull to cow ratio's.

I believe with the large number of general areas, the pressure is spread out pretty well.

I used to think maybe just moose, sheep, goat, bison should go 90-10, this thread has effectively moved the needle for 90-10 across the board...
Buzz, what I hear from you, is that because NRs are complaining, you're ready to just say screw 'em. Am I correct in that your point is that we should still be grateful for what we still have?

I don't disagree with that but...

Just to play devil's advocate, when the next rape and pillage administration comes to the white house, how should I look at their attempts to develop every inch of the red desert? Should I just say screw 'em?

Back