Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I pheasant hunt some in the Ulysses area see alot big muleys!A friend who grew up in the Garden City area asked his brother about finding pronghorn…… And now I have my first pin for OnX. Going with a “green for go” color scheme for 2026 antelope (with any and all suggestions welcomed).
I will also be using this adventure as scouting for a future mule deer hunt as well as seeing for the first time some pretty good pheasant country.
Good luck!A friend who grew up in the Garden City area asked his brother about finding pronghorn…… And now I have my first pin for OnX. Going with a “green for go” color scheme for 2026 antelope (with any and all suggestions welcomed).
I will also be using this adventure as scouting for a future mule deer hunt as well as seeing for the first time some pretty good pheasant country.








Beautiful landscapeHeading back to Syracuse I debated heading directly west for 10 minutes so that I could say I went all the way to Colorado. Instead I decided to go north of town to check out the WIHA spots that come November will see long lines of orange clad hunters walking across the land awaiting the rise and cackles of a pheasants taking off.
With recent heavy rains, some of the county roads got a little bit slippery, but nowhere as slippery as Great Basin bentonite roads that I’m more accustomed to be driving while searching for antelopes.
As the evening light began to soften the shadows, I still held out hope that I would still see an antelope or two before I had to turn east and home. With very little topography to work with on most of the WIHA lands, I really felt how difficult this coming week might be. When I locate my buck (it’s an “antelope tag” with no requirement to be gender specific) how am I going to close the distance? Knee pads and heavy gloves will help should I be forced to crawl (hundreds??) of yards. Patience will be a must. Any buck found on accessible land will need careful stalking to prevent spooking the quarry.
View attachment 417789
View attachment 417792View attachment 417793
Myself and my bro talked to a GW back n first part of Sept and he told us the same thing about the orange for hunting speed goatsHad breakfast with landowner where we ate and chatted. He is quite a progressive thinker, and into rotational grazing. The cows are collared much like a fenceless dog situation and don’t have to be driven from one adjacent portion of a pasture. He whipped out his cell phone and showed me how he moved 45 cow/calf from their current plot to the next one over.
He is getting better growth on his steers, the grass is better even with the last several years of moderate to severe drought and the weed percentage of biomass is dropping.
After breakfast I drive out to the ranch hq, and got to meet the family patriarch. He told me where he had last seen antelope, and even offered the use of the Polaris to get around the ranch. 10k of open grasslands. There has to be less than one tree per 50 acres, but on the flip side, yucca is king.
He suggested that if I sat down next to a yucca patch to be wary of rattlesnakes.
I set off to drive the periphery of the ranch, and as I neared the NE corner I saw my first antelope in my unit. Doe/fawn pair, out in the middle of a large flat sea of grass. Way off in the distance I spotted two other white butts right along the northern end of the ranch.
As I neared these antelope they scurried across the road, only to immediately stop and start feeding. Glassing them from less than 150 yards away I could see one doe, one buck with horns barely taller than his ears.
I look up and see a silver truck beating feet towards me, and it turns out it’s a Resource Officer (game warden) who is filling in today on opening day. He tells me that I am the first hunter he has checked today, and is quite surprised when I tell him that we are close to a buck and doe feeding, that he passed by to get to me. He says he has already driven several hundred miles and not seen one antelope.
I get closer to his window so I can hand him my phone to check the app. Spotty cellular connection has the phone freaking out. Using my cell phone number he verified that I’m good to hunt.
He is also the RO that was consulted by the newly incoming RO regarding my question regarding hunter orange requirements. He originally told his colleague that there is a requirement for wearing as if deer or antelope hunting with muzzleloader or rifle. He checked again and had to admit
That this isn’t in the regulations. As shown in my last post, I’m wearing a NAPF blaze orange