Kansas 2026 Pronghorn

Friday afternoon hunt tale

Getting back to the SUV and quenching my thirst, I decided to drive back to a place I had pinned with dove possibilities. As I drive past 40+ of them took off from the electrical line. That’s almost the entirety of roosting place for doves as there are almost no trees out here.

Buttering up slices of Cheesecake Factory dark bread I decided that I would head towards the private ranch where I saw my first unit 17 antelope, but planned to keep my eyes open for antelope on the drive there. As I drive past a farm hq complex with three large silos I looked south and thought I saw two white dots in a grass field a long ways off.

Binos out and find the white dots, and watch those white dots morph into two antelope. Now consult with OnX. How big is this Wiha? Big enough that these guys are on publically accessible land. Heat shimmers are strong this afternoon but I can tell that there is a buck/doe pair and measuring tool says 1200 yards to get there.

Consult with app and there is a gully, arroyo, or wadi as we called them in Kenya. It looked like I would be out of sight of the antelope for a long safe walk, and I would try to figure it out from there.

As the wadi started to turn towards the east, I slowed my pace and kept scanning the new territory opened up with every few steps. Antelope!

They were descending from the bedding flat and feeding northwards, which was partially correct for me as I needed NW movement.

I backed up the arroyo and prepared to crawl to a yucca grove to observe their movements. Walking in my knees, I recalled Tim Conway’s character Dorf, as it must have looked like is was a penguin limbering along.

Finally getting to the yucca clumps I set up my glassing seat and had an amazingly frustrating good time watching. She was in the lead. Like other bucks this week, when he saw her squat, he was there to check it in no time. As nice of a buck as he is, she seems to be equal or larger in rump size. Equal or taller in shoulder height.

Watching them duck the fencing wire and again commence feeding, I tried to work out a way to close distance. It felt like I was stuck, but a morning attack plan was developing.

Finally the sunset time was approaching. These antelope were grazing uphill as fast as the final rays of light were traveling up the hillside. Finally after sunset they returned to the bottom of the bowl and looked like they were going to nestle down for the night as true darkness was
moments away.

Moving out of sight I shouldered my pack and rifle and started back up the wadi and the car.

My plan for Saturday morning was to come in from the east and get to the edge of the bowl, and be ready to tak a shot if presented. Either one of them.
 
Instead of sleeping in my car, I got a hotel room to shower, charge thee batteries and sleep on a comfy bed. I went to Syracuse and got a room. Fortunately my feet and brain remembered that the bed frame had no toe room underneath the box spring, and so I only stubbed my toes twice.

While checking in I learned that
the Syracuse football game had to be postponed, because parts of the field were still under water.

Setting my alarm for 4, I barely remembered that I hadn’t done my Wordle yet that day. Old Testament scholars and bankers know that word, thankfully I paid attention in Bible
101 class and kept the streak alive.
 
Back
Top