Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Adventure show star charged with Alaska hunting violations

I like how her FB feed points to the wrong-doing of the guides/outfitter. Own it.

I like how her FB feed points to the wrong-doing of the guides/outfitter. Own it.

I think your expectations of Veil are too high. After watching her show, I believe she was fully incapable of resolving that situation correctly. Stupidity is its own punishment.

Never heard of or seen her before.
Looks like a tabloid pic....are those bar codes like a package of meat at market?
But I really never watch tb,'cept once in a while and now some Carbon tv.

I really feel for the outfitter, it was a lose lose. I'm sure they panicked and took the easy way out hoping it would go away.. If they got payed to cover up its another set of circumstances however. I hope it was just momentary bad judgment and not monetary bad judgment.

Why does it come as no shock the NRA wouldn't care about an idiot that poached a bear, created a total chit-storm for the outfitter, and pick them up to host their show???

Sounds like the outfitters deserved the "chitstorm" for trying to cover it up instead of doing the right thing and immediately contacting authorities.

No doubt they do, but the mess started with 2 dead bears instead of one...and the outfitters didn't kill either one.

Obviously the hunter didn't try to do the right thing either.

If I made a podcast topic of TV talent as poachers/game violators, how long you think I would be on an outdoor network?

Let's see in the last few years, we have Ms. Vail, the Nuge, Extreme Outer Limits, the dudes over at the Syndicate, Spook or whatever the hell is wrestler-like name is, that come to mind in just a few seconds. I suspect there are others.

I'm not sure if you can or want to answer this Randy, but how many outdoor TV "talents" are there and what percentage would you guess are unethical/illegal.

I'm not sure if you can or want to answer this Randy, but how many outdoor TV "talents" are there and what percentage would you guess are unethical/illegal.

Well, there are over 400 shows :eek: and most of them have more than one host. I would guess there is 750-800 people who would be considered "on camera talent."

As to a percentage that are unethical or illegal, I have no clue. I suspect it is close to the same ratio of what you would find in the regular population of Americans, or of hunters.

To me, a percentage or hard number of unethical/illegal people is not necessarily the relevant discussion. In my opinion, there are two issues that TV folks better get a handle on; lack of respect for hunting by violating game laws with knowledge and intent, and the possible "things happen event" where a host is too chicken shit to own up to it.

Hosts who have no regard for the law and even less regard for the image of hunting need a public beat down. I have no use for these clowns. They think their scruffy half-assed beard-mullet combo, their pretty face, their quest for some sort of fame, or having this as their profession gives them a right to make their own agenda bigger than the image of hunting. Egomaniacs of the highest degree. Those of us who are in the industry long enough eventually come to learn/see who these folks are; thankfully not a very large percentage. These are the folks who need to have their platforms pulled. They need to be tossed and done so with great fan fare. Hunting would be better off without them.

I operate in a manner where I hold myself and my own tribe members to a much higher standard than I hold others. That applies to my expectation of hunters, and even a higher degree to those who are blessed to have platforms that we have in outdoor TV. If you can't do your best to try convey the highest possible standard of hunting/hunters, then go get a job with Jerry Springer. We don't need your sorry case being a face of hunting.

The other group are the prima donna candy asses who cannot own up to their own responsibilities. If you make a mistake, and we can all make a mistake, own up to it. Don't be a whining puss and make excuses. Don't be a spoiled brat and blame others for it or drag others into it. It is very possible that someday I could make a mistake, given how frantic it can be when filming/hunting. I hope I don't make a mistake, but if I do, it will be my problem. It won't be blamed on anyone else.

In this case, odds are it was a mistake by the TV host. Had they (her and outfitter) owned up to it, called the warden and used it as a learning event for herself and her audience, it would have been a completely opposite response. I would have utmost respect for someone who made a mistake and publicly used that event to teach an audience how it should be handled, however uncomfortable or embarrassing. Nope, she decided to conjure up some BS idea of how to try hide it. Fail!

Some have implicated the outfitter as being complicit. He is. Yet, that should not in any way let her off the hook. Even if the outfitter suggested this as the plan to cover it up, she should have stood up and rejected the idea. She didn't, so in my mind, the blame rests at her feet.

I love how they say, "The person cooperated with authorities." That is what the dude on Extreme Outer Limits used as his "good guy" position when he got caught shooting two deer in ID while only having one tag. I don't care how nice of a guy you are once the investigation starts. For me, what determines your character is how you act before you are under investigation.

Summary, had she simply fessed up to this mistake and used it as learning experience for her and the audience, she has a smash hit on her hands; she takes a huge step up the ladder of credibility and respect. Since she did the opposite, she should be held accountable, whether she is Ms. Universe, Mr. America, or the guy who sleeps under the train bridge.

As a person who produces outdoor TV, I'm completely tired of this crap. We should be held to a higher standard. If you can't stand being held to a higher standard than others, then maybe you're in the wrong position. I've told the decisions makers the same. If the networks and sponsors who support these people don't start cleaning some house, outdoor TV needs to have its collective teeth kicked out.

Glory and fame and greed will corrupt a person faster than anything. Being on tv brings fame and glory so they think when they kill big anything and they get paid to do it. I watch outdoor tv but only certain shows. I will say this after watching fresh tracks and on your own adventeures everything else pales in comparison. I don't watch alot of the shows I used to because they seem so comercialized. Randy really does things right, keep up the good work Randy!!! You represent the biggest majority of us decent ethical hunters.

In this case, odds are it was a mistake by the TV host. Had they (her and outfitter) owned up to it, called the warden and used it as a learning event for herself and her audience, it would have been a completely opposite response. I would have utmost respect for someone who made a mistake and publicly used that event to teach an audience how it should be handled, however uncomfortable or embarrassing. Nope, she decided to conjure up some BS idea of how to try hide it. Fail!

Exactly, these people must think all hunters are gullible and stupid.
They could have turned a negative into a positive and gained a lot of respect for owning up to it, shit happens in hunting, we all make mistakes, if you have never made a mistake you are kidding yourself or are very new to hunting.

Your show where you made an error and lost the bear, would she have done the same?
I doubt it, cutting room floor me thinks.
You gained even more respect as a hunter in my opinion by showing all the emotions in that show, she and other hosts need to watch that episode and learn from it.

Cheers

Richard

I first read about this "violation" on another site that had a link to an article in some paper. One of the last sentences stated that her film crew reported it to Alaska authorities about the violation. I found that interesting.

Its a real world out there. Feces occurred. She/the guide service should have reported it as a mistake and taken those lumps rather than going for a willful, knowing, coverup effort.

I too am not impressed with even the advertisement for her show.... I admit, I have not watched it at all. Rack or not!

Exactly, these people must think all hunters are gullible and stupid.
They could have turned a negative into a positive and gained a lot of respect for owning up to it, shit happens in hunting, we all make mistakes, if you have never made a mistake you are kidding yourself or are very new to hunting.

Your show where you made an error and lost the bear, would she have done the same?
I doubt it, cutting room floor me thinks.
You gained even more respect as a hunter in my opinion by showing all the emotions in that show, she and other hosts need to watch that episode and learn from it.

Cheers

Richard

I am a Kansas boy and have met this young lady and she is actually pretty bright.

A few things, I hate poaching , I hate when some media personalities feel they are above the law and for the sake of "the show" decide that they make up the rules.

My sources have told me that she self reported the incident after the hunt and that she and the outfitter were fully cooperating.

If indeed she did self report I would give her a pass. Not on any fines but for being honest about what happened.

She is a grown woman and fully responsible for her actions, she is being marketed and most likely is not the self driven limitless huntress as she is portrayed. I am not saying this is a woman thing but I do believe there is a big push by the outdoor media intelligente to push women hunters and some beyond what they are ready to handle. Brittney Boddington's leopard shooting accident also comes to mind.

Women hunters and merchandise would grow outdoor products, especially clothing sales and a lot of guys like watching hot women hunt.

I have never seen her program because it just never appealed to me, but as I stated IF she did self report I would give her a pass.

I have ne

Franchi, Bass Pro Shops, Realtree, Bear Archery, Carlson's Choke Tubes, Browning, Irish Setter, and Hunter Safety System have sponsored her to illegally shoot shoot a bear and then conspire with the owner of Renfro's Alaskan Adventures to falsify tags. I guess I won't be using any of these companies anytime soon.

Franchi, Bass Pro Shops, Realtree, Bear Archery, Carlson's Choke Tubes, Browning, Irish Setter, and Hunter Safety System have sponsored her to illegally shoot shoot a bear and then conspire with the owner of Renfro's Alaskan Adventures to falsify tags. I guess I won't be using any of these companies anytime soon.

Tough to say they are going to stand by her....

Tough to say they are going to stand by her....
Exactly. The sponsors were on board before the incident. Doubt they knew there would be an issue. Might wait a bit to enact your boycott there kenton. I've never seen the show, nor do I care to. mtmuley

If indeed she did self report I would give her a pass. Not on any fines but for being honest about what happened.

Maybe she self reported but it was AFTER an extensive cover-up attempt. Likely only reported because they got nervous about being caught, not because of virtue.

She's shot the wrong animal on camera multiple times. She ain't "bright" by a long shot.

Maybe she self reported but it was AFTER an extensive cover-up attempt. Likely only reported because they got nervous about being caught, not because of virtue.

She's shot the wrong animal on camera multiple times. She ain't "bright" by a long shot.

Not how I read it but you must have more info than me. Tell me more about the extensive cover up you write about.

Unfortunately not a good representative for hunters or women. Watched part of an episode once and had to change the channel. Felt very staged to me and not relatable.

Ironic that she would have viewers believe she is some hard core, competent and driven huntress, but when crap hit the fan she suddenly can't determine right from wrong on her own and was a victim of bad advice. I hate it when the victim card comes out.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back