Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

2014 Dall Sheep hunt

They killed their sheep... along with the next 8+ clients they guided. The words out of the outfitters mouth... our ram count was in double digits this year. Considering how much ground we covered, how many rams we saw and how many they killed... They cleaned it out. We didn't see many up and comers... I won't be going back.

Nothing like a greedy outfitter to single handedly wipe out every legal ram in a drainage. I wish the state would put a cap on them. Then without fail they'll wonder were the rams went and be angry when they see other hunters in the area.

Was a fun hunt, I am grateful to have seen that part of the state and got lucky to take a sheep home too. In the end, it was over.

Attachments

• huntsheepglacier3-2.jpg
    huntsheepglacier3-2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 479
Great write up - thank you for sharing. That exact hunt is one I have promised myself I will have before I get planted.

Can't wait for my son to graduate and hopefully join coast guard.If he gets stationed out on Kodiak,I'll be able to afford a sheep hunt.Wish they would allow NR the choice of guided or not.For now I'll just hope he ends up there and we can go diy together
Dall sheep country is just incredible and love the pics

That outfitter is either a genius or an idiot. He told you exactly what you needed to hear to never go back. Lol
Or.....he really does rape and pillage as you say.

That outfitter is either a genius or an idiot. He told you exactly what you needed to hear to never go back. Lol
Or.....he really does rape and pillage as you say.

I'm pretty good cutting through the BS, and rarely make inflammatory remarks without something to back it up. I inquired with ADFG about harvest by NRs in the same drainage (he's the only sheep guide)... his kill stat was correct. I also know one of the NR hunters he took later in the season, who also confirmed the pillage.

In years past, they took 3-5 rams a year. These guys are $mart enough to see the writing on the wall... get em while their hot $$$, because it won't be for much longer.

Ya the days of unlimited killing won't be here much longer.
Just hope they make the changes before more guys jump in on the "hurry up before we can't" mentality.

Last edited:
Looks like an amazing adventure, I still don't understand why I don't live in Alaska. Being able to do that every year is amazing.

Back