Why in the hell…

I have to run a cash register at work occasionally, very few people write checks or use cash. I would say 95% of transactions at our little gift shop are debit or credit. Most of those users have a chip and have to insert their card, but a few have tap to pay and I’ve even seen a few use their phone.

Our margins are very small. Our price for buying items is not that good since we don’t buy a lot at one time and the suppliers keep raising their prices to us. We have to pass it on to our guests, but often times we can’t raise the price on our end as much as the distributor does so our margins are less. Added on top of that is a 1-3% charge for using the credit card that is taken automatically.

I don’t mind when when people use cash or checks at our store. But we typically don’t have 10 people waiting in line for a little old lady to dig through her purse looking for a checkbook or the exact change.

i hate having to pay at the pump or prepay inside. I understand why stores have to do it, unfortunately, but for honest people it sucks especially if we are going inside to buy some as well.

And don’t get me started on all the promps at a gas station. Prepay or pay inside, Zip code, PIN code, are you a member of our loyalty club, do you want to be a member of our loyalty club, why are you putting more gas in that POS than it’s worth, do you really have that extra stupid window sticker on your vehicle, do you want a car wash, which car wash do you want, which fuel grade do you want, did you enjoy shopping with us today?

I absolutely hate using cards. Insert card chip failure insert card chip failure insert card chip failure BLA BLA BLA. I could have wrote 20 checks by the time my freaking card works.
I got a free pizza at Casey’s because the guy in front of me couldn’t get his card inserted right. He was getting mad, the cashier was getting mad, and there was like 10 people in line. I just stepped in front of everyone and said I’ll pay for his and mine. Both the guy and cashier looked at me cross eyed as I put my debit card in. The cashier gave me a coupon for a free pizza and the guy put a 6 pack in my truck at work the next day.

i hate having to pay at the pump or prepay inside. I understand why stores have to do it, unfortunately, but for honest people it sucks especially if we are going inside to buy some as well.

And don’t get me started on all the promps at a gas station. Prepay or pay inside, Zip code, PIN code, are you a member of our loyalty club, do you want to be a member of our loyalty club, why are you putting more gas in that POS than it’s worth, do you really have that extra stupid window sticker on your vehicle, do you want a car wash, which car wash do you want, which fuel grade do you want, did you enjoy shopping with us today?

Oh my god aint that the truth.

Checkbooks are a liability in my mind. We had a checkbook stolen out of our rig in Missoula a few months back. Much more difficult to deal with than having a card stolen. It was stolen on a Friday, and the bank to which it was tied didn't open till Tuesday due to a holiday. No one to call. Online, we could put a stop on all checks after a specific check number, and we could do our best to identify which check number we were on, but we are sloppy, and may or may not right checks in order. The bastard who stole from us could've written a lot of checks by the time we figured it out. Had to file a police report and all that stuff. I feel like with an account number and a routing number a person might be able to do some damage online too, but that stuff floats over my head.

With a stolen debit card, it would've just been a call to the card company to shut her down. For us, there is definitely no reason to ever have our new checkbook leave the house.

Prepay or pay inside, Zip code, PIN code, are you a member of our loyalty club, do you want to be a member of our loyalty club, why are you putting more gas in that POS than it’s worth, do you really have that extra stupid window sticker on your vehicle, do you want a car wash, which car wash do you want, which fuel grade do you want, did you enjoy shopping with us today?

Are we the same person?!
This is at the top of my list of shit that drives me insane and nobody else ever seems to mind.
I have a gas station that lets me insert my card and only asks if I want a receipt at the end. I make it a point to go there.

It used to be so much worse in ND on a -20 day when it’s a touchscreen and I just want some fuel but have to play 20 Conoco questions, but it’s too cold for the touchscreen to work for them to be answered and the frost bite is coming on strong.

There’s a gas station in town that took me awhile to figure out. I’d swipe the debit card, reswipe, and then swipe again before it told me to prepay inside. Pissed me off every time. Now I tell the machine it’s a credit card and it works first swipe. Also, if you go after store hours, you can use the debit card as a debit card first time. I sense a scam to get you inside to buy crap.

I have to run a cash register at work occasionally, very few people write checks or use cash. I would say 95% of transactions at our little gift shop are debit or credit. Most of those users have a chip and have to insert their card, but a few have tap to pay and I’ve even seen a few use their phone.

Our margins are very small. Our price for buying items is not that good since we don’t buy a lot at one time and the suppliers keep raising their prices to us. We have to pass it on to our guests, but often times we can’t raise the price on our end as much as the distributor does so our margins are less. Added on top of that is a 1-3% charge for using the credit card that is taken automatically.

I don’t mind when when people use cash or checks at our store. But we typically don’t have 10 people waiting in line for a little old lady to dig through her purse looking for a checkbook or the exact change.
I'm always conscious of that with small business and pay cash, especially the rural stores.

Are we the same person?!
This is at the top of my list of shit that drives me insane and nobody else ever seems to mind.
I have a gas station that lets me insert my card and only asks if I want a receipt at the end. I make it a point to go there.

It used to be so much worse in ND on a -20 day when it’s a touchscreen and I just want some fuel but have to play 20 Conoco questions, but it’s too cold for the touchscreen to work for them to be answered and the frost bite is coming on strong.
It’s also pretty annoying how they have news feeds playing the whole time you pump gas. Can I just pump gas without listening to someone name Maria Menounos give me mental health tips?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back