PEAX Equipment

Why in the hell…

Do some people still pay with checks at the grocery store? Get a debit card FFS!
I used a debit card at a restaurant one night w/ a customer. some enterprising person copied
off the debit card. 5 days later the card co called and asked if i really wanted to buy leather
goods from italy and a pair of women's $299 shoes from some hoity toity shoe co.
I will never use a debit card again. luckily it only cost me abt $100

Is that to piss off the people in a hurry behind you?
I joke of course but one time I did pay with roles of coins. I told the casher she could either trust me or count it out. She trusted me.

Another time there was one of those stereotypical sweet little old ladies in front of me and she pulled out a bag of mixed-up coins to pay for her thirty some dollars worth of groceries. In the end she came up a little sort and was trying to figure out which item to give back to the store. So, to speed things up I covered her balance for her. After she left the casher and I wondered if she does that on purpose to get people to help her pay for her groceries.

I used a debit card at a restaurant one night w/ a customer. some enterprising person copied
off the debit card. 5 days later the card co called and asked if i really wanted to buy leather
goods from italy and a pair of women's $299 shoes from some hoity toity shoe co.
How do you like the shoes

Because we were in a hurry and got behind her. It’s a whole process that takes several minutes. You have to write the check, then they have to check your drivers license, then they run the check through the cash register, then they give you the check back, then you get a receipt. A debit card does the same thing in about 5 seconds.
And then She balances the checkbook before relinquishing the checkstand.

I joke of course but one time I did pay with roles of coins. I told the casher she could either trust me or count it out. She trusted me.

Another time there was one of those stereotypical sweet little old ladies in front of me and she pulled out a bag of mixed-up coins to pay for her thirty some dollars worth of groceries. In the end she came up a little sort and was trying to figure out which item to give back to the store. So, to speed things up I covered her balance for her. After she left the casher and I wondered if she does that on purpose to get people to help her pay for her groceries.
Half dollar rolls...front or back pocket?

Do you think paying with a check that has your bank account number on it would be safer?

Yeah, every year I go back to Montana and shake my head. No vendor has taken cheques up here for maybe twenty years. I write cheques for the church and that's it. I've been paying utility bills on line for at least a dozen years. I can't remember the last time I saw a "no cheques accepted" sign in Ontario. It's just not done up here. I'm not sure writing bum cheques is even an offense anymore.

Some of those old dames really make a production when writing cheques in the Malta grocery store. I think they just don't want to go home.

I do have to admit that paying by debit / credit card in Canada is way better. The server NEVER takes your card away - or even touches the card. You are handed a small console and run everything yourself. Have to give kudo's where it is due.

Do some people still pay with checks at the grocery store? Get a debit card FFS!
I feel you...For this very reason I'll look ahead at the checkout lanes, glassing for any little old ladies that look like they might whip out a checkbook at the last second, and avoid those lanes like the plague.

Sounding a little uptight S.E.
Why care?
It can be frustrating. I was in the store with my two small children the other day when the person in line ahead of us way paying with a check. The problem is not so much the check as it is that this doesn’t happen often enough these days for the young cashiers to get familiar with the process of how to run it through the machine. It backs up the line so yea I can see why someone would say get a debit card. Plus the bank will send you the card but you have to order or buy the checks.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back