Which 2 guns?

mohunter

If you were going to have 2 rifles for all your hunting what would be your choice of calibers. Right now I have a 300 RUM that i love but would like to add a smaller caliber down the line. I would also like this to be a lighter rifle. Right now the calibers i am looking at are 270 weatherby or the 257 weatherby. Just looking for input.

Being as you already have a big boomer, that I assume has some heft to it, have you thought about something like a Kimber 84 or Remington M7 in 308 or 7-08?

That way you'd have a gun for when you'll need to reach out there, and something you can pack all day when you know shots will be under 400 yards or so.

I have both, and love them both equally. The funnest rifle I have for just shooting is my .257 Weatherby Mag, even though I have only had it a little over a year. The best all-around rifle I have is my .270 and it is has killed lots of critters in the last fifteen years.

Probably can't go wrong with either one, just a matter of what you plan to use the 300RUM for, and where the other rifle will be called into action.

Deer and antelope only, I would go with the .257WM. If you might add elk to that, I would probably use the .270, but given you have a .300RUM, I doubt you would use the .270 or .257 for that.

For smaller caliber, I would look at the .260 remington, 7mm-08, and .270. I've also always liked the .257 roberts.
For Magnum I would stick with your 300 RUM or 7mm mag is a good bet without the recoil and muzzle blast of the 300 RUM.

Quarterbore.

Small enough to be effectively used as a varmint round, yet more than enough gun to be a deer/antelope rifle. Pick one of any the classic .257 cartridges, Weatherby Mag, Roberts, or 25-06.

Or, if you think it'll be a backup elk killer, go with the .270 or 7-08.

The advice of any quarterbore is sound...but...I think right now I'd really look closely at the 7mm-08, theres alot to like about it.

I think the .257 Weatherby paiirs well with the 300 RUM. The RUM shooting a 180gr Partition and the 257 a 120gr Partition will fly very similar to each other. I would suggest that you get the lighter rifle with the same action as the 300 RUM, that way everythings in the same place on each. If your RUM's a Rem 700, you could easily build one that comes in around 7-7.5 pounds.

I have a .270 WSM and a 7mm mag. They seem to get most of it done however I must admit to being intrigued by the .300 WSM. Why stop at two?

I have a 257 Weatherby and a 340 Weatherby which pretty much covers it all. Just through in a 7mm stw to add a little character;):D Traded my 300 Rum for the 340 as I liked the fact that it shoots the 250 gr bullet with a flat trajectory and hits like a tank out at range.

Last edited:
After talking with some custom gun builders and shooters I would go with a .243AI for a lighter rifle. All around great, accurate and cool looking case.

I have a Savage 7mm-08 and I love it. I killed my elk last fall at 416 yards. Another caliber that is a good and will be my next one is a 25-06 I watched my dad drop a elk at 650 yards with 100 grain bullet. That is my two choices for lighter calibers but will still reach out there and touch something

Thanks for the input. I am kind of leaning towards a 257 WM. My 300 RUM is built on a rem 700 action so have the same action would be a great idea. Oak i didnl't know you were selling raffle tickets. What are you part of some organization or something. I like the 25-06 but have always wanted a 257 WM. I have taken the first step and this unemployed student went and got a job today. So now it is just time to save.

If you are into reloading I think the 22-243AI is a great round. The .220 swift is another sweet option.

mohunter.. you will not be at disappointed in the 257 Roy. I have shot one now for 28yrs and it just flat out puts them down. Like shooting a lazer beam with the zap of lightning. Good choice! Let me know if you need any load data. I load the 120gr partitions for most everything but am working up a load with the 110 gr Accubonds this off season.

Thanks for the info. I love the accubonds. I have been shooting the 180s out of the RUM and loveing them so far. A friend has had great luck with them on animals.

Just 2 thats pretty tough. I wuold have to have either my 6.5x284 or 6.5-06ackley. Love both of them.
One of those would cover 90% of my hunting so I suppose I would have to have a cannon as my second so might as well have a 338 lapua

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back