Brass organization

DamascusSteel

So I have stumbled upon a predicament, I have 2 rifles of the same caliber and my dad has the same caliber, that I also reload for. I spent a year and a half away from my reloading gear due to work. So I don't know which brass goes to which rifle anymore. I'm sure it doesn't make a huge difference if I just resize them all to the same dimensions. I'd like to here yalls thoughts on that but also what do you all do to organize your brass for multiple rifles of the same caliber. I decided to put fingernail polish on the case heads a different color for each rifle.

Just make sure that you keep the brass brand straight, and don't mix and match, otherwise it will be nearly impossible to develop an accurate load. I don't know about bigger calibers but I remember my Dad had some impressive pressure spikes when he switched from Remington brass to Lapua, that was in the 17 Remington if I remember right.

So I have stumbled upon a predicament, I have 2 rifles of the same caliber and my dad has the same caliber, that I also reload for. I spent a year and a half away from my reloading gear due to work. So I don't know which brass goes to which rifle anymore. I'm sure it doesn't make a huge difference if I just resize them all to the same dimensions. I'd like to here yalls thoughts on that but also what do you all do to organize your brass for multiple rifles of the same caliber. I decided to put fingernail polish on the case heads a different color for each rifle.

Brass fired in a different chamber CAN be an issue, but probably isn't. I've got one batch that's been used in between five and eight different barrels and I haven't had to do anything special, but I have kept a close eye on headspace and it's generally been consistent within .001".

I keep my batches separate anyways, but if I was marking brass to segregate it I'd use colored Sharpie's on either the case head or extractor groove. Fingernail polish seems way too thick.

Brass fired in a different chamber CAN be an issue, but probably isn't. I've got one batch that's been used in between five and eight different barrels and I haven't had to do anything special, but I have kept a close eye on headspace and it's generally been consistent within .001".

I keep my batches separate anyways, but if I was marking brass to segregate it I'd use colored Sharpie's on either the case head or extractor groove. Fingernail polish seems way too thick.
After putting the fingernail polish on the case head I thought it looked thick so I plan on tumbling it and seeing if that thins it out some if not I may go over it with some super fine sand paper

I’ve started having a different brand of brass for each, and having an individual cases for each rifle. For example, for ky .30-06 I have 200 rounds of Lapua head stamp brass, in two 100 round MTM cases. I shoot all the way through all 200, then start back. That way they’re basically all on the same cycle of firings.
This.

Each .30-'06 gets it's own dedicated headstamp.

I 3D printed color coded loading blocks, ammo holders, containers for loose brass, and even die holders for each rifle. It’s a little nerdy and not every one has a 3d printer but if you do it sure is a nice way to organize.

I 3D printed color coded loading blocks, ammo holders, containers for loose brass, and even die holders for each rifle. It’s a little nerdy and not every one has a 3d printer but if you do it sure is a nice way to organize.
Cool, but just ... wow

Showed this to MRS to prove I am not the most OCD hand loader out there!

Cool, but just ... wow

Showed this to MRS to prove I am not the most OCD hand loader out there!
Lol. What’s funny is I’m not OCD in any other part of my life. My garage workbench is a mess. But being fairly new to reloading I think a mix of fear of making a mistake mixed with a love of 3d printing make for an obsessive reloading bench.

I reload .30-06 and .338-06 with .30-06 stamped brass. I use blue mtm boxes for the .338-06 and solid green for the .30-06. Can be confusing when I load barnes TTSX for both of them. I do use separate brands of brass for each rifle too, just as another step that distinguishes a difference

I’ve gotten away from owning multiple of the same chambering. My only double is 7-08ai, I use different brands of brass in those two.

I throw all of mine in coffee cans by caliber.

But, I don't even bother to sort it by brand so there is that.

Bought some cheap knockoff Ziploc plastic food containers at a Dollar General several years ago. Work really well, stack on top of one another for easy storage, etc. etc. Beats the hell out of the old Chase & Sanborn coffee tins that I used to have to borrow from my father when I was a kid.

This.

Since I full re-size I don't care about which rifle as much as I do about how many times fired.
I just bump shoulders, and between loading for myself and several friends there’s a lot of overlap. I even went as far as making a buddy buy a second set of .300 PRC dies so I didn’t have to readjust mine.

That’s why I keep it to a set of brass for each rifle and go from there.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back