Caribou Gear Tarp

Good guns done dirt cheap

So uh-oh, now I just talked myself into buying yet another Mod 700.. online purchase….always a gamble (though I’ve always done pretty good, and I think I might have done *really* good here…we’ll see)… early 2000’s but looks to be in great condition, and was under $500. In 270, a chambering I currently don’t have. 270’s seem to almost always be good shooters though.

Last edited:
I love some of the older rifles, particularly old model 70's and 94's. While I do have a couple of modernish rifles there's still something about blued steel and wood that stirs my blood. As far as calibers go 99% of mine are old. 30'06, .270 , .338 win mag to name a few. Even the new rifles I've bought I seem to still pick older calibers for some reason. And as luck would have it those damn critters don't seem to know they weren't hit with the latest greatest caliber....lol

My dad just gave me his stainless security six. Still has the black plastic grips, and I’d be willing to bet he’s put less than 3 boxes of shells through it - but it’s been in the glove box of his truck for as long as I can remember.
I would try like hell to wear that thing out, and enjoy every round! Great guns!

And the barrel is too long and it uses too much powder and you don't need a magnum and on and on. mtmuley
And they're too heavy, and it's not a 6.5 creedmoor so what's the point! :ROFLMAO:

I've never understood the "too much gun" argument. "Oh dang, I killed the animal too quickly"

Regardless of what rifle you shoot something with, it's not going to do the amount of damage a 12g will do to a deer. There's shotgun zones in the Midwest where you have to use a shotgun to shoot deer...

Everytime I shoot a deer with a 12g I look at it like
lotta damage.jpg

Yup, I’ve noticed it too especially, with A series Sakos- deluxes, hunters, full stocks they all seem to be going dirt cheap, like 500 bucks or so. If anybody here has any Sakos they want to get rid of before they drop below 400 let me know, I’ll see what I can do.

My search for a cheap Sako didn't end well since I found an 85 Finnlight in .270 WSM that came home with me. Now that I have taken that one off the market I will keep searching for lower cost options. My brother, although not a HT follower, did nothing to dissuade me and enabled the transaction just like any of you would.

Fancy sporterized military rifles are going for a song, especially in 30-06. Same gun in military garb sells fast for a small fortune. Go figure. My son-in-law's buddy just yesterday bought a very nice Parker Hale conversion of Belgian 98 Mauser in 7mm mag for around $450 Canadian. Rosewood accents, beautiful dark blued, with nice walnut stock. Has a decent scope on it too.

I just built a beautiful 98 Mauser in 404 Jeffery. I could probably sell it for the $2K I have in it ... if I waited for the right buyer (African hunter). But if I had built it in 30-06 or even 35 W, not a prayer of selling it for half that.

So uh-oh, now I just talked myself into buying yet another Mod 700.. online purchase….always a gamble (though I’ve always done pretty good, and I think I might have done *really* good here…we’ll see)… early 2000’s but looks to be in great condition, and was under $500. In 270, a chambering I currently don’t have. 270’s seem to almost always be good shooters though.
Score! I picked up the new rifle today. I had my fingers crossed, and it worked out the way I had hoped. Made in 2006 and is in a black w/blue textured (possibly HS precision) stock with full aluminum bedding block, free floated, decelerator pad. Stock is almost perfect. The rifle is 90%, due to some surface flecks of rust (humid storage?) but with the matte finish, they basically came off with an overdue oiling. The bore looks good for the first 23.5 inches, the last half inch has stubborn accumulated copper fouling I am working on, with a slight concern about that humid un-oiled storage. But I think it will clean up fine. For $499 and an informed roll of the dice, I am pleased. Next I will mount a Leupold 3-9 and then see how it does at the range. It has the stock trigger so I’ll also replace that with a Timney sooner or later.

02448363-0FFB-4B81-8C5D-0FA871627D3D.jpegB380F777-3C1A-49DC-9AB9-7251A0D2990F.jpeg

Score! I picked up the new rifle today. I had my fingers crossed, and it worked out the way I had hoped. Made in 2006 and is in a black w/blue textured (possibly HS precision) stock with full aluminum bedding block, free floated, decelerator pad. Stock is almost perfect. The rifle is 90%, due to some surface flecks of rust (humid storage?) but with the matte finish, they basically came off with an overdue oiling. The bore looks good for the first 23.5 inches, the last half inch has stubborn accumulated copper fouling I am working on, with a slight concern about that humid un-oiled storage. But I think it will clean up fine. For $499 and an informed roll of the dice, I am pleased. Next I will mount a Leupold 3-9 and then see how it does at the range. It has the stock trigger so I’ll also replace that with a Timney sooner or later.

View attachment 317948View attachment 317949
Well done. mtmuley

Yes I have a Remington problem……

From top:

Model 7 .260
7mm-08. (Mtn Rifle DM)
8mm Mauser (Classic)
7mm Rem Mag
35 Whelen
7mm Rem Mag (in Classic Stock)
.280 (Mtn Rifle)

Oldest of the 700’s is a 1977, newest is a 2006. And indeed, I got a couple of these for a pretty great price, usually by window shopping for awhile with no particular goal in mind.

The Model Seven is a 2014. I made an exception for going newer in order to get the 1:8 twist.

7B66FC8C-F22F-4E2F-A8C5-02FDB628EA10.jpeg

Yes I have a Remington problem……

From top:

Model 7 .260
7mm-08. (Mtn Rifle DM)
8mm Mauser (Classic)
7mm Rem Mag
35 Whelen
7mm Rem Mag (in Classic Stock)
.280 (Mtn Rifle)

Oldest of the 700’s is a 1977, newest is a 2006. And indeed, I got a couple of these for a pretty great price, usually by window shopping for awhile with no particular goal in mind.

The Model Seven is a 2014. I made an exception for going newer in order to get the 1:8 twist.

View attachment 318610
Awesome. mtmuley

Stevens model 334 is budget priced but comes with Turkish walnut stock and blued steel. Rec'd excellent accuracy reviews in recent magazine articles. TR

Stevens offers a Turkish built bolt gun for less than $500. Real walnut stock. TR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back