Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What is your favorite wild game meat?

Mature Buck

This should be fun and interesting to know who thinks what game is the tastiest. From all the wild meat ive eaten I say whitetail deer is the best.

My favorite so far has been Caribou. I think some of that could be attributed to being the first game meat I had tried other than the animals I was able to find in Eastern Montana. I hope I have as much affection for it when I get back from Alaska in 2018.

My favorite so far has been Caribou. I think some of that could be attributed to being the first game meat I had tried other than the animals I was able to find in Eastern Montana. I hope I have as much affection for it when I get back from Alaska in 2018.

That's interesting, as I wasn't that impressed with caribou. It was fine, and we ate it all, but I found it bland. They have a huge range though, so I'm sure different caribou taste different.

Pronghorn is my favorite, with deer being in second and a long ways to the rest of the pack.

I've had a couple bears that were tough to stomach, but I've never tried an ungulate I didn't like.

Last edited:
Antelope. Especially the ones that live their lives in the dryland grain fields of the High-Line. mtmuley

Most memorable: eland liver and backstraps on safari in Kenya (a long long time ago in another century). Favorite North American wild harvested: smoked brook trout taken from a high alpine lake with such reddish colored flesh that everyone seeing it assumes it is salmon.

Perhaps the thing that makes each standout is the fact that both are associated with my father making the meal(s).

Last edited:
Man, that is a tough question. I like basically all of it! Elk, deer, antelope, moose, oryx, bear, quail (gambles and bobs), rabbit (jack and cottontail), grouse, prairie chicken and pheasant is what I have tried and have no problem with any of it. My wife would give away elk, before giving away doe antelope. Wild meat is essentially all that we eat, so I am biased anyway. I am not super fond of water-fowl, but we do have some good recipes for them, too.

Oryx trumps all of it, but moose is right there, too.

1. Antelope
2. Mallard
3. Whitetail
4. Elk
5. Mule Deer

I've never tried moose, have heard it is great.

Elk
Dove
Quail
Whitetail and Mule Deer
I'd really like to try Axis, Oryx, and, from previous comments, Antelope.

Bighorn sheep is the best, had some when my friend killed one. Moose is a close second, I've gotten just two. Elk comes in third. Whitetail deer is fourth. Mule deer from alfalfa fields fifth.

Alligator cause it's good for the yang
Moose for flavor
Antelope medium rare
Elk in general

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back