What is your favorite wild game meat?

Of all the game I've eaten, my rating for preference is:
Eland (wish I could get this regularly)
August caribou
Moose
Antelope
Dall Sheep (over an alder fire on the mountain, is #1 though)
Elk
Sika (fantastic, just not much meat on one)
the rest... I'll eat it, but would chose the above first.

'lope for me. Miss the good ol' days where the herd numbers were good and I could shoot 3 a year.

Elk, sandhill crane,sharptail antelope, whitetail or mule deer, Central flyway waterfowl and pheasant are all excellent, but after drawing an Oryx tag this past fall nothing comes within a stones throw of that tasty critter.

So much can rely upon how meat is cooked and seasoned, etc. I wonder how this survey would pan out if all the different meats were cooked on a level playing field, as it were. Maybe plain, on a spit, over a plain fire, ala the Pleistocene.

1. Elk/moose
2. Specklebelly
3. CA blacktail
4. Mallards/pintails/teal
5. Antelope
6. Ruffed/dusky
7. Wild (fall/winter) pig
8. Whitetail
9. Mule deer
There really isn't a whole lot of separation here though.

I have been cooking wild game for 40 years and I feel that I can cook "MOST" any game in a manner that will make it delicious.

I've been on a waterfowl run lately, making a LOT of goose and duck.

Case in point, so many local hunters give me their "junk" like Canada Goose, and "old rutty buck meat".

This steak cut from the south end of a 7 year old Ks whitetail buck won a taste test using Pronghorn, and young whitetail doe backstrap.

Attachments

• 20161106_182943.jpg
    20161106_182943.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 158
Whitetail is on the top because I shoot the most of it. I have never tried antelope so I was disappointed when I didn't get one this year. I really wanted to try it.

Ruffed grouse was one of my favorite things to eat when I lived in the same places they did. I don't think Pheasant holds a candle to it.

I love elk, and thought elk was my favorite until grilling an elk backstrap alongside a whitetail backstrap, the whitetail was more tender, better meat.
Elk is hard to beat as burger.

Many midwesterners claim that muleys and antelope are crummy "taste like sagebrush", but I don't think you could hardly tell the difference between a muley/antelope/whitetail loin prepared properly, side by side.
The only wild game I didn't care for was black bear, and that probably just wasn't prepared correctly. Goose, wild turkey and duck can also be pretty nasty if not prepared right.

Ruffed grouse is the finest food in the forest. Elk and deer are my favorite big critters.
I was surprised to see how many of you listed pronghorn as one of your favorites. Maybe I'll have to shoot another one some day.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back