Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What does a Trillion look like?

FLIPPER

What does one TRILLION dollars look like?

All this talk about "stimulus packages" and "bailouts"...

A billion dollars...

A hundred billion dollars...

Eight hundred billion dollars...

One TRILLION dollars...

What does that look like? I mean, these various numbers are tossed around like so many doggie treats, so I thought I'd take Google Sketchup out for a test drive and try to get a sense of what exactly a trillion dollars looks like.

We'll start with a $100 dollar bill. Currently the largest U.S. denomination in general circulation. Most everyone has seen them, slighty fewer have owned them. Guaranteed to make friends wherever they go.

bill.jpg

A packet of one hundred $100 bills is less than 1/2" thick and contains $10,000. Fits in your pocket easily and is more than enough for week or two of shamefully decadent fun.

packet.jpg

Believe it or not, this next little pile is $1 million dollars (100 packets of $10,000). You could stuff that into a grocery bag and walk around with it.

pile.jpg

While a measly $1 million looked a little unimpressive, $100 million is a little more respectable. It fits neatly on a standard pallet...

pallet.jpg

And $1 BILLION dollars... now we're really getting somewhere...

pallet_x_10.jpg

Next we'll look at ONE TRILLION dollars. This is that number we've been hearing about so much. What is a trillion dollars? Well, it's a million million. It's a thousand billion. It's a one followed by 12 zeros.

You ready for this?

It's pretty surprising.

Go ahead...

Scroll down...

Ladies and gentlemen... I give you $1 trillion dollars...

pallet_x_10000.jpg

(And notice those pallets are double stacked.)

So the next time you hear someone toss around the phrase "trillion dollars"... that's what they're talking about.

Wow you have a lot of free time to use Google Sketchup to do that. I am impressed, I have tried to use Sketchup without near the same results.

It is strange that you have time to waste on trying to figure out what a Trillion dollars looks like when you have only worked 18 days so far this year. Why don't you go out and look for a job or find some work instead of wasting your day trying to edjumacate yourself on what a Trillion dollars looks like?

Wow you have a lot of free time to use Google Sketchup to do that. I am impressed, I have tried to use Sketchup without near the same results. Why don't you go out and look for a job or find some work instead of wasting your day trying to edjumacate yourself on what a Trillion dollars looks like?

Wow - you have a lot of free time to worry about what Flipper does. (And a lot of nerve to think you have a right to tell anyone what they should do.) Maybe others might like his post.

Brian - I got that in an email earlier this morning. I found it an interesting ilustration.

You figure there are 305Mill peop's in the US. 228mill over age of 18 Take 1 trillion, split it up between us and give us $4,500 a piece :)

You figure there are 305Mill peop's in the US. 228mill over age of 18 Take 1 trillion, split it up between us and give us $4,500 a piece :)

Barry the Reader's idea is to take it from the makers and give it to the takers.

NHY- who do you consider a maker and who do you consider a taker? It seems to me that the individuals with the most capital are not necessarily "makers". Most ceo's cfo's etc are non-production personell. Most people "on the line" are the actual "makers" but don't seem to "make" the majority of the money. People on wallstreet are some of the biggest "takers" as they produce nothing. I think one of the problems we are having right now is the misrepresentation of those who are "makers" and those that are "takers". Nothing is being "made" in the US...so now the "makers" are people who "make" money...They are non-producers.

Matt, you really don't have a clue wtf you're talking about...do you?

He really doesn't. I guess he figures that the workers are the ones who coughed up the money and took the risk with their money to start the business, and are thus entitled to the rewards. Would they take it in the shorts if the business failed?

Or that the guy who either spent the time, effort and money to go to college, or worked his way up through the ranks by hard work to a management position, should make the same or less than the guy runnning a grinder.

Usually Matt your posts have a sense of common sense. That one didn't. If I Make the Business and give workers a Job, that is giving them every chance I have had. If I am the one who profits by their work, but I am giving them the skills and money to live their life, you say that makes me a Taker???? I don't think so. John

BHR- Yep, I'm a non-producer. I'm considered support staff for production. The CEO as well as the CFO also consider themselves as non-producers. They use an equation comparing money made to the number of support staff to make that money. If less is made...less support staff is needed...the more money made...the more support staff is needed. The bread and butter of this business is in the employees. Every meeting, every function, everyday...it is made abundantly clear that without good employees, this business wouldn't work. Everything is based on the people bringing in business and enabling everyone else to make money. If they don't make money...the business no longer runs. All of the cogs in the machine are necessary...

Calif- money behind a great idea gets you nothing. You better have someone who can produce a service or a good that someone else wants. Many great ideas died because of "top heavy" management. You could say too many chiefs not enough injuns'. Look at a typical factory in Japan during their hay day. Producer to non-producer in a company...1 to 100. One manager for every 100 workers...one person to "watch" 100 people producing a product. At the same time in the United States that ration was 1 to 10. It took 10 times as many managers to run a similiar production line operation. Now, you tell me why manufacturing went to other places. Non-producers...(ie. management) should not overwhelm your company. Show me one item wallstreet ever produced...just name one (BTW- capital is NOT an item). By definition, wallstreet provides capital for other companies to produce a product. They do not produce!

Without money for materials or equipment, a "maker" (to use your term) can make nothing.

You still think the guy on the drill press should make the same as the CEO or any manager, for that matter?

If there is no return on the investment, why would anyone fund a business? It is not a charity and profit is not a profanity.

Calif- no, I don't think that should happen. The CEO/ manager should make more money (in most cases). However, it's irresponsible to think that without a person on the drill press you can more money. Somewhere along the line CEO's and owners started thinking people should be thankful they had a job...In the businesses that prospered and are still on solid ground that ideology doesn't exist. The businesses that are prospering still know that people are their best asset and they better treat the people with respect. They are thankful for the great personell that has enabled them to stay in business and make a profit. Sam Walton was known for his ability to remember every person's name that worked for him and thanked individuals in person. He knew his greatest asset...the one that gained and lost customers were the people working for him.

The businesses that are prospering still know that people are their best asset and they better treat the people with respect.

I am not sure that is the only reason that a business may be profitable. I think sound overall management might have had a bit to do with it....

They are thankful for the great personell that has enabled them to stay in business and make a profit.

I think the workers should be a little grateful that they work for a company with sound management that enables them to remain employed.

Sam Walton knew every Walmart employee by name? Any idea how many employees that was? Do you know how much Walmart employees make, versus what Sam Walton made?

Calif- Question for you. Do you consider the US government a "maker" or "taker"?

I wonder who said this "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration."

I believe it may have been Abe Lincoln.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back