Caribou Gear Tarp

Bad Bill Alert - HB 5108 - Michigan legislature: Allowing Commercial harvest of sport fish in the Great Lakes

Ben Lamb

You can submit comments here: https://p2a.co/cRLh3Im

MUCC 1-pager here: https://mucc.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/5108OppositionOnePager-3.pdf

This is what I sent to my Rep:

Hello Representative Coffia,

My Name is Ben Lamb, and I live (IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER)

I am writing today to express my opposition to HB 5108, which I noticed that you are a cosponsor of. While I appreciate Michigan's commercial fishing heritage and the jobs they provide (especially in our district), I am very concerned with the allowance of commercial activities over-taking the recreational aspect of fishing, which could lead to an over-harvest and a massive reduction in other economically important sectors such as tourism and charter fishing.

This bill would also bring back gill-netting, a practice that has been banned since 1970 due to its indiscriminate killing methods. That means that people using gill-nets will be taking every species regardless of what the target species is. In contrast, recreational anglers must obey slot limits, creel limits and a host of other regulations to ensure that the species is managed correctly. The threat of overharvest is very real with gill-nets.

Economically, Michigan - and Leelanau County - benefits far more through our commercial sport fishing charters, guides and outfitters, as well as our hospitality industry, restaurants and so many other businesses that exist in our tourist economy dependent county. The sport fishing economy of Michigan is currently around $2.3 billion dollars per year, versus the $5.4 million commercial fishery. It doesn't seem practical to put a major economic driver in jeopardy while eliminating hard won conservation gains relative to managing fisheries in a sustainable, thoughtful manner.

The market hunting and fishing days of old depleted our wildlife resources. It makes no sense to go back to those days, especially after the decades of hard work to restore those fisheries and enhance them, the massive expenditure of angler dollars, and constant vigilance that our state wildlife managers and local hunters and anglers employ to ensure that our current bounty can be passed on down to the next generation.

Rather than move a contentious bill forward, I encourage you to help pull back on this effort and find some common ground between the commercial fishery people and the recreational people who fund and support the resource that helps create Northern Michigan's fantastic quality of life that we all love and cherish.

Thank you for your service, it is greatly appreciated!

1698768934720.png

The last thing the Great Lakes needs is more commercial fishing. 25% of lake trout, walleye, and perch set aside for commercial harvest? Open commercial fisheries to essentially every species in the lakes besides Pacific salmonids? No thanks. I'll be writing in as well. Thanks for the heads up

Last edited:
You can submit comments here: https://p2a.co/cRLh3Im

MUCC 1-pager here: https://mucc.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/5108OppositionOnePager-3.pdf

This is what I sent to my Rep:

Hello Representative Coffia,

My Name is Ben Lamb, and I live (IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER)

I am writing today to express my opposition to HB 5108, which I noticed that you are a cosponsor of. While I appreciate Michigan's commercial fishing heritage and the jobs they provide (especially in our district), I am very concerned with the allowance of commercial activities over-taking the recreational aspect of fishing, which could lead to an over-harvest and a massive reduction in other economically important sectors such as tourism and charter fishing.

This bill would also bring back gill-netting, a practice that has been banned since 1970 due to its indiscriminate killing methods. That means that people using gill-nets will be taking every species regardless of what the target species is. In contrast, recreational anglers must obey slot limits, creel limits and a host of other regulations to ensure that the species is managed correctly. The threat of overharvest is very real with gill-nets.

Economically, Michigan - and Leelanau County - benefits far more through our commercial sport fishing charters, guides and outfitters, as well as our hospitality industry, restaurants and so many other businesses that exist in our tourist economy dependent county. The sport fishing economy of Michigan is currently around $2.3 billion dollars per year, versus the $5.4 million commercial fishery. It doesn't seem practical to put a major economic driver in jeopardy while eliminating hard won conservation gains relative to managing fisheries in a sustainable, thoughtful manner.

The market hunting and fishing days of old depleted our wildlife resources. It makes no sense to go back to those days, especially after the decades of hard work to restore those fisheries and enhance them, the massive expenditure of angler dollars, and constant vigilance that our state wildlife managers and local hunters and anglers employ to ensure that our current bounty can be passed on down to the next generation.

Rather than move a contentious bill forward, I encourage you to help pull back on this effort and find some common ground between the commercial fishery people and the recreational people who fund and support the resource that helps create Northern Michigan's fantastic quality of life that we all love and cherish.

Thank you for your service, it is greatly appreciated!

View attachment 299689
Didn't that train already leave the station (to a degree) with the most recent tribal settlement and a return to an increased number of gill nets? Noticed that the sponsor is from the Saginaw Bay area, a huge perch and walleye resource.

Didn't that train already leave the station (to a degree) with the most recent tribal settlement and a return to an increased number of gill nets? Noticed that the sponsor is from the Saginaw Bay area, a huge perch and walleye resource.
The sponsor for the rework is from Saginaw.

HB5108's a bipartisan bill, with the primary being from Ann Arbor, and 30 other cosponsors.

Alternate text

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns about House Bill 5108, known as the Protect Michigan Fishing Act. I appreciate your engagement in the political process and would like to offer some clarification on what the bill aims to achieve and why I believe it is in the best interest of our community and state.

Commercial fishing was once integral to Michigan’s economy. However, current regulations are making it difficult for Michiganders to enter and be successful within the commercial fishing industry. H.B. 5108 carefully balances the need to reexamine overly restrictive state policies that hurt small businesses, while ensuring the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) remains a strong regulatory body capable of managing our fish population and protecting our Great Lakes.

H.B. 5108 amends Part 473 of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act to require the MDNR to:
  • Receive input from licensed commercial fishers in establishing yearly quotas and notification of those quotas to the legislature and the Governor.
  • Establish an annual Total Allowable Catch for Lake Trout, Walleye, and Perch - appropriating 75% of these species to sport-licensed fishers and 25% to state licensed commercial fishers.
To prevent irresponsible fishing and ensure that the MDNR remains a strong regulatory body, my legislation would also:
  • Allow the MDNR to inspect commercial fishing operations, on board or ashore.
  • Allow the MDNR to act and levy fines for nets that have not been attended for 30 or more days.
  • Provide more funding to MDNR for fish management - enabling increased activity that protects a precious resource for all Great Lakes fishers.
  • Penalize commercial fishers who possess more than 5 undersized fish with substantial fines.
  • Removing Northern Pike over 20 inches and Sturgeon over 42 inches from being caught by commercial fishers.

I’m proud of the bipartisan nature of this bill; over 30 members of the House from both sides of the aisle came together to sponsor the Protect Michigan Fishing Act. Shielding our Great Lakes from overfishing and supporting sport fishing remain top priorities in this bill. Lastly, the introduction of this bill is the beginning of the legislative process. I appreciate hearing your concerns so that we may take them into consideration as we work through the legislative process.

Thank you again for contacting our office. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any additional questions or concerns. We value your input and will do our best to create policies that reflect the needs and values of our state.

Sincerely,

Jason Morgan
State Representative
23rd House District

Sincerely,

Jason Morgan
Representative, District 23

xJGpP2m1dXDKIjzzFq06JHPuAnF0Vkia3vfM5OWVgjJvAXYYgEoJYK0rVOarL9j2w7WgFXSCLyJjCfHGjg8pgPPbk8vVphvIrOVwZAQv-95I0fDGwMfUXScPoFvuQWRUEHLKyx-8OhCXnw5CQNyd0QyI-IrNZ4PpeupnJ7hluLNMFIs0qVzIJSOakzwo9EWBzziRJFcyITh51KIEkqwFVHcuVf577rQjh9heGWLDmDRiSXG_I8E0czPMWRlCrQJAOo643YjBClcsZYZtQGRyRmhDNdchU1NHlUkxPb2K9A=s0-d-e1-ft
Contact Me
State Representative Jason Morgan
House Office Building, South Tower
7th Floor, Room 787
Lansing, MI 48909-7514

Phone: (517) 373-0855
Fax: (517) 373-5922

This is the canned response a family member received yesterday from the primary sponsor.

Jesus. Its bad enough that the Canadians are doing it. Imagine if we did too.

Really good point, and to that, I'd simply say why in the world would we want to stack more gill-netting and give away another (up to) 25% of the fisheries?
The cumulative impacts are going to be significant if it passes.

Starting over and having some stakeholder meetings between the commercial and recreational folks seems like a much better approach than simply getting a freshman legislator to run a toxic bill.

Really good point, and to that, I'd simply say why in the world would we want to stack more gill-netting and give away another (up to) 25% of the fisheries?

Starting over and having some stakeholder meetings between the commercial and recreational folks seems like a much better approach than simply getting a freshman legislator to run a toxic bill.
@Ben Lamb

This is why you are a better man than I. Undoubtedly why you are effective at this as well.

I am entrenched in my conviction that resource exploiters don't give two shits about "stakeholders". They believe the assets of the public trust are theirs by (Divine?) right.
Political skullduggery is just God's work.

This will die when the legislators get their in-boxes overwhelmed to the point their servers crash.

Starting over and having some stakeholder meetings between the commercial and recreational folks seems like a much better approach than simply getting a freshman legislator to run a toxic bil

Agreed we do not. However the commercial fishing lobby is strong in that area of the state.

Though I do not agree with it I can see them (Michigan Fish Producers or their equivalent) making the argument (as has been done in the past) that if the tribal folks are allowed to take fish in that manner then they should be allowed to also.

I think it's a bad move and will open Pandora's box and harm the fishery.

Has MDNR Fisheries taken a position on this yet?

Agreed we do not. However the commercial fishing lobby is strong in that area of the state.

Though I do not agree with it I can see them (Michigan Fish Producers or their equivalent) making the argument (as has been done in the past) that if the tribal folks are allowed to take fish in that manner then they should be allowed to also.

I think it's a bad move and will open Pandora's box and harm the fishery.

Has MDNR Fisheries taken a position on this yet?

It's not that strong. It's a dying industry. A whopping 97 jobs as of 2020. The whitefish population is way down and the commercial guys are pissing and moaning about having to dump the trout out of their nets. Trout are finally about recovered after being damn near extirpated by the lampreys and now we want a commercial harvest on top of the newly agreed upon tribal harvest. GTFO.

Pandora's box is correct.

View attachment new+2020-Michigan-Commercial-Fisheries-infographic+(002).jpg

Attachments

• new+2020-Michigan-Commercial-Fisheries-infographic+(002).jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 2
This is the canned response a family member received yesterday from the primary sponsor.
Think the right to board and inspect along with some of the others already exists, at least it did at one point. Believe it was a condition of the license. Lots of exceptions to the search warrant rule in most of those circumstances if not.

So where is the Charter Boat Association on this as well? I know a few captains and have reached out to them to see what they are doing.

Wildlife departments are no longer driven by protecting, fostering and sustaining all wildlife species. It's become a political hide the ball under walnut $$$ shell game.

They have strayed far from their Sand County Almanac roots at the behest of politicians. Money should not be the deciding factor on what is right for the resource.

So where is the Charter Boat Association on this as well? I know a few captains and have reached out to them to see what they are doing.

Wildlife departments are no longer driven by protecting, fostering and sustaining all wildlife species. It's become a political hide the ball under walnut $$$ shell game.

They've signed onto the opposition with MUCC and others. Pretty sure that's their emblem on the one pager Ben posted above.

This isn't the DNR's doing. This is the state legislature, more specifically the house.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back