U.S. Debt Ceiling. 31.4 Trillion!

I'm 75 so my lifetime is pretty iffy.
I figure we are good for the next 50yrs even if trends continue. Yesterday's 10yr auction of $40B, went 68% to foreign buyers. That is well above average and shows that at the right yield, there is plenty of demand.

I suspect that with all the talk of entitlement reform, someone will re-float the idea of investing SS funds in something other than US treasuries. Given SS holds about 20% of US debt, that could cause demand for US debt to drop. I hope someone is in charge that can understand that. This is why you can never say never.

I figure we are good for the next 50yrs even if trends continue. Yesterday's 10yr auction of $40B, went 68% to foreign buyers. That is well above average and shows that at the right yield, there is plenty of demand.

I suspect that with all the talk of entitlement reform, someone will re-float the idea of investing SS funds in something other than US treasuries. Given SS holds about 20% of US debt, that could cause demand for US debt to drop. I hope someone is in charge that can understand that. This is why you can never say never.
Is SS debt the only debt that is actually repaid? When payouts are more than intake from payroll deduction and other obligations then the Government has to cough up some of what they borrowed in order to make up the shortfall. Congress needs to get off of their asses and fix it instead of kicking the can down the road. The sooner they start the smaller the increase increments will need to be.

Is SS debt the only debt that is actually repaid? When payouts are more than intake from payroll deduction and other obligations then the Government has to cough up some of what they borrowed in order to make up the shortfall. Congress needs to get off of their asses and fix it instead of kicking the can down the road. The sooner they start the smaller the increase increments will need to be.
If debt keeps rising, you could argue none of it gets repaid.
Congress will address it when Americans demand it and are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to get the budget under control. Not holding my breath.

"Moody’s has lowered its outlook on the US’s credit rating to “negative” from “stable”, pointing to a sharp rise in debt servicing costs and “entrenched political polarisation”."

Moody’s playing catch-up because they other agencies already downgraded. Looks like people like those higher yields. Add to the table below that the TLT (long duration treasuries) has seen $20b in inflows. Have to remember, one person’s expense is another person’s income.IMG_2026.jpeg

~1T a year in interest payment and more debt being refinanced at today’s rates instead of the historic low rates a few years ago.

All is fine until you fall off the cliff. It’s coming, only a matter time. Will be catastrophic when it does.

~1T a year in interest payment and more debt being refinanced at today’s rates instead of the historic low rates a few years ago.

All is fine until you fall off the cliff. It’s coming, only a matter time. Will be catastrophic when it does.
How do you suggest we prepare for that?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back