Yeti GOBOX Collection

This Should Be Interesting

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I am a bit apprehensive about the 60 Minutes episode that will air on CBS this Sunday evening. Last winter I was called by Rome Hartman, producer of 60 Minutes, and asked if I could provide some background and history about the Yellowstone wolf reintroduction through the eyes of a hunter. (Still not sure where he got my name.) They were coming to Yellowstone to do a piece about wolves 20+ years after the reintroduction.

We talked for quite a while. When they came to Bozeman a few weeks later to do some research on the project, he asked me to meet him and his assistant producer, Sara, for breakfast. I gave him more details about the history of the reintroduction through the eyes of someone who spends a lot of time on this landscape and has been here the entire time that the reintroduced wolves have been here. He and Sara seemed surprised by some of what I mentioned.

Rome called me a few weeks later and asked if I would be willing to be interviewed for the piece they were producing. I told him I would think about it. He wanted the perspective of a hunter for this piece.

I talked to a lot of folks I trust who have a background in news media. Some cautioned against it, explaining that when interviewed you have no control over the final product or the context in which your comments would be used. Some in the hunting world encouraged me to do it.

I thought about it long and hard. Eventually I decided to do it, knowing full well it carries a lot of risk. I drove to Mammoth and spent a couple hours in an interview with Bill Whitaker. Bill was a very good interviewer, obviously very experienced in his craft.

Rome emailed me this week to let me know the episode will air this Sunday, December 23rd. I have not seen a draft of the segment, as they do not allow that. I have no idea what context will be given or what/how comments will be used. Rome assures me that I have nothing to worry about. I hope he is right, as it is a big risk for someone in my position to put words on camera without any control over how the editors cut and paste the pieces together.

So, if this effort to speak on behalf of hunters results in my platforms being demolished by Monday morning, it has been a good run. 😆

20181220_184801.jpg

Randy all you can do is tell it like it is and hope for the best. The press are not to be trusted that's for sure. One way to look at it is give your best information and be able to support it. Then you hope for the best. I was the P.O.I. for the Sheriffs office for 6 years and on occasion they would not get it right but most of the time they did. If 60 minutes has a agenda then all bets are off. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Good luck,
Dan

I doubt their agenda is the same as a hunters. On the other hand Fin is probably one of the best spokesmen we could put in front of them.
Imagine one of those nit wits with all of the face paint....

Bout time a hunters view is out there for the masses. Especially on a far reaching medium like 60 minutes. I'll be watching. mtmuley

We will know the agenda as soon as one of the other interviewees breaks into tears.

I'll hold my comments until I see the episode and then I'll tell them to come to MN and lets talk wolves.

To fans you'll be a hero.
Pragmatics may just believe you're "preaching to the choir".
To some "certain" others you'll exemplify evil incarnate.
Might end up being the ultimate "and no minds were changed"............

Might be some interesting threads afterward:D

Randy,
I can imagine why they called you. I hope you are reasonably satisfied with the outcome, but doing was the right thing in my opinion. Sometimes you have to take a risk to advance to a better future. Easy for me to say, of course. I'm not taking the gamble.

Anyway, thanks in advance for doing that.

Brent

I can't think of anyone better to speak about the issue from a conservation/hunting perspective. I hope your unquestionable "credentials" are made clear for the watching masses.

Just curious, was part of your "rider" a nice large DQ Blizzard? :cool:

Randy, you're well-informed and well-spoken, and you were given a platform with a professional understanding that you could present your opinion on an issue you know well. You did what you thought was right after much consideration, hopefully 60 minutes will do the right thing too...but, we have your back if they don't ;)

Without having seen the final product yet, I can surmise that there are few people that could represent hunters as tactfully and accurately as you, Randy. I have a hard time imagining you providing them with enough material to depict hunters as ignorant, rightwing buffoons who don't know/care anything about other than how many trophy antlers the government has robbed us of through this wolf megaconspiracy.
Even if you are taken out of context and your material is made to fit an opposing agenda (whatever that would be), you didn't shy away from vulnerability and potential this opportunity presented. Maybe a reason (IMO) you wouldn't have a glimmering career in politics, and also why many people (who have higher IQs than their pets) respect you. Regardless, I'm excited to watch and will be tuned in on Sunday.

I read your discussion regarding your 11 day wolf hunt. One specific portion that stood out to me - and my distaste for the woofs, you commented your deep respect for wolves and how your hunt changed some of your prior thoughts. You did not elaborate on those modified thoughts of wolves though I get the impression you've developed a new found respect for these predators.
I look forward to watching this show. I fear the whole wolf episode surrounds the Yellowstone wolf that was killed by a hunter recently. It's hit big news!!! https://people.com/pets/yellowstone-wolf-926f-spitfire-killed-trophy-hunter/ A lot of environmental organizations are pissed and city folk lap it up, unfortunately.

You thought you had hate mail from the first ever televised wolf hunt you put together while with the Sportsman Channel... Get ready!

To the city folk, may their ears be open. May they understand the positive impact hunter based conservation elevates the overall health and population. May they grasp your found respect of the wolves, even though I'm not at that place in mind...

You are the best spokesperson for the American hunter. Prepare your lightning rod.

Thank you for your moxie! This will be a show of shows.

Last edited:
If you'd have turned it down they'd have found someone else. I'm glad you chose to partake, regardless of how they cut it. You are the most balanced ambassador to hunting out there IMO. I look forward to seeing it.

I appreciate the effort. I believe without any doubt that you are the best representative of hunting interests. You will give an honest opinion and most hunters will be pleased. There will be a segment of the population that will automatically disagree with you. There are others that you might swing in your favor.

Thank you for trying to educate the masses.

Randy, I'm sure you articulated the hunter's position very well. If it comes out as hit piece, I'll know it was 100% the editing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back