Caribou Gear

The Lonesome Billy

The size of that goat is amazing...Oak and I held up the horns next to the goat I killed in Montana when he stopped by to show me the horns...pretty impressive when compared to an average 9" MT mountain goat. My goat at 4.5 years old had smaller horns than Oaks did its FIRST year! My goats horns were a touch longer but the bases werent as big!

This goat is un-frickin' believable, truly the trophy of many life-times.

I dont usual say this about many animals people take, but the phots do his goat NO justice at all. You have to hold them to fully appreciate them.

Congratulations are an understandment for the entire crew involved on this hunt.

I've also had the good fortune of hunting with Ed Toribio and I would highly recommend him and his operation to anyone as well. If you're serious about a good goat Ed is the guy to get in touch with.

Oak, that goat is possibly the best trophy big-game animal I've ever seen...big-time congratulations.

That is a great story and pics...

Reminds me of the mountains in Northern Washington along the West side of the Cascade Range...

Wet, cold, steep, foggy, but very beautiful and unforgiving if your not careful...

Your right, cotton is not king in this type of environment and every bit of it should be left home...

Congrats Oak, awesome photos and story. Truly an amazing looking goat.

Oak

I know the drying period isn't up yet, but I had to return to see if the horns have shrunk any. Nope, don't believe they have...still look the same they did two weeks ago. Congrats again.

Oak,

Great goat, pics and story. It was a great read. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great stuff as usual Oak. Looks like it was a heck of a hunt, and I can't wait to see it as a full mount.

Oak, I didn't get a chance to read this the first time around so I am really glad you put it back up. Congrats on a great Billy and a wonderful write up.

I wasn't a HT member when you first posted this adventure, but I'm sure glad you reposted it! What an adventure and what an exceptional goat!

Knowing Oak and the fact that he is not about scores, he is pretty modest in talking in such terms. That is what makes him a great guy to hunt with.

Since he is unlikely to state this, I will. That goat is in the Top 50 of all goats ever taken. For reference, even with the symmetry deductions due to the brooming on one horn, that billy is the relative equivalent of:

196" NET typical whitetail
402" NET typical elk
208" NET typical mule deer
90" NET pronghorn
200" NET Rocky Mountain Bighorn.

Oh how the stories of Oak have changed over time...maybe one day the can return. Beautiful goat!

Awesome goat! I love it that these old threads are getting revived, as I missed them. Saw your Dall's sheep too Oak, couple of solid years in AK!

cheers, -sp

Knowing Oak and the fact that he is not about scores, he is pretty modest in talking in such terms. That is what makes him a great guy to hunt with.

Since he is unlikely to state this, I will. That goat is in the Top 50 of all goats ever taken. For reference, even with the symmetry deductions due to the brooming on one horn, that billy is the relative equivalent of:

196" NET typical whitetail
402" NET typical elk
208" NET typical mule deer
90" NET pronghorn
200" NET Rocky Mountain Bighorn.

Fantastic goat and write up!!! Thanks for sharing and getting me excited for my future endeavors!

Reactions: Oak
Man what a goat and hunt! That country looks nasty. I had a nice brush with devils club when I fell in a patch of it off a log up there chasing bear. Dang it hurt

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back