Caribou Gear Tarp

The Lonesome Billy

Oak:

That's about as good as it can get. What a great "yarn" you have told here. I need to get better at taking "in the moment" pictures. They way you do it adds a lot to the story and the hunt.

Great job on an unbeleivable goat.

Oak:

I just glanced over your pictures again. I know you don't determine the quality of your hunt/animal based on B&C scores, but I just couldn't resist doing a little research on mountain goat scores this evening.

You may already know this (I did not), but a 55" goat would tie for 8th place on the all-time B&C list, and 54" would tie for 18th place. Not trying to boil your hunt down to numbers, but a great value I find to record keeping systems is providing a relative scale of the rarity of an animal such as that one.

That gives some reference to the amazing size of that hawg. What a smoker goat.

Unreal Oak. Great narration and photography.

How did your gear hold up to the wet and rugged nature of this hunt? Anything that worked surprisingly well? Anything that you were disappointed in?

Thanks for the pics and story Oak! Congrats!

BTW I'm glad you included the part about devils club. For anyone that has not been around it you do not know what you are missing.

great story and congrats on the goat. i seen this pop up late last night when i couldnt sleep and then ended up falling sleep half way through waiting. great job!

Oak , mate thats just another great read, I felt like I was there, you 'n' Mt Miller Just gotta come to N.Z. and chase some Thar and chamois.
Cheers
Jeff.

Oak , mate thats just another great read, I felt like I was there, you 'n' Mt Miller Just gotta come to N.Z. and chase some Thar and chamois.
Cheers
Jeff.
I hear ya mate. I would love to chase tahr someday. Next year I am headed to BC to try for another mountain goat, but after that I think I am done with the them....although I am sitting pretty good on points for Utah.:D Next on my list...if I can scrape together the coin...tahr and maybe cham.

Oak, I am slow at responding. Great animal you got there and fantastic pics of the hunt. Sure would not want to stroll outside the tents in the dark...too many ropes that could take a guys head off.:D Tough from the angle, but I guess if they are higher than 5' I would have nothing to worry about.

Congrats man and thanks for the share.....

Thanks for all of the comments. Big Fin, I didn't know what the numbers meant until I did some research after getting out of the mountains. Truly amazed me. Even more amazing is that as a 2-year old, he was a 10" booner! Great genetics up there.

Kiwi, watch what you say, because I might just take you up on it. I would really like to get down there and chase those two before I get much older. Is there anything for wives, girlfriends or dogs (mtmiller ;) ) to do down there?

smalls, my gear held up well for the most part. Ed had me upgrade to rubber rain gear when I arrived. I still ended up soaking wet from sweat when climbing. I don't think it's possible to stay dry up there. I had caulked soles put on my Lowa boots that I bought last year before my sheep hunt. I didn't take very good care of them this summer and I think the leather got too dry, because they leaked like a sieve. I might consider new caulks if I were to do the hunt again. Boots with nails are imperative. Cotton is useless. Don't even take cotton underwear. The only thing cotton I wore was my ball cap.

mtmiller, I'm shorter than you and I was always running in to those damn ropes. Knocked my headlamp right off into a water hole one night. But the extra protection from the rain was welcome, and when it was blowing 40 we were glad to have a rope in every grommet. So, you want to go visit Kiwi?

mtmiller, I'm shorter than you and I was always running in to those damn ropes. Knocked my headlamp right off into a water hole one night. But the extra protection from the rain was welcome, and when it was blowing 40 we were glad to have a rope in every grommet. So, you want to go visit Kiwi?
I would really love to make the trip someday. Best case scenario for me would be 2010, and I would have to find some money prior.:D I don't remember what time of year the hunts are, but I would guess May - June???? I need to research (and dream) a little more.

I would really love to make the trip someday. Best case scenario for me would be 2010, and I would have to find some money prior.:D I don't remember what time of year the hunts are, but I would guess May - June???? I need to research (and dream) a little more.

Yep, me too. 2010 might even be too soon. Need to come up with a good cost estimate so that I can start planning. Dreamin'....

Dude, you should quit your job and just spend time hunting and writing stories about hunting. Outdoor Life and Field and Stream are missing a chance to make their magazines interesting again.

Great photos, and a great goat!!!!

Congrats.

..couldn't have said it better.

Wow....amazing!! And for a trip like that to end up with a Goat like that....could ya ask for anything more? Great story man....loved all the pics. Thanks!

Back