The Gen Z Law Regarding Boomers For Off Season Sake.

Please spare me the 'acronyms for dummies' condescension. I read volumes of SAJ's missives.

....a 'chit ton of consumers' would have sufficed.
No condescension, but you are making my point. Of course you could afford a Cadillac and a nice pickup on $24k in 1972 because your purchasing power then was much higher than a worker in the same role's today. No journeymen construction workers today are earning what you did back then *relatively speaking.*

No condescension, but you are making my point. Of course you could afford a Cadillac and a nice pickup on $24k in 1972 because your purchasing power then was much higher than a worker in the same role's today. No journeymen construction workers today are earning what you did back then *relatively speaking.*
No, it was a behavioral comment. I’m not arguing math, but you knew that.

How many journeymen are pulling $180k a year today?

View attachment 317314

My recently-retired HVAC guy was offering $80K to start as an apprentice, $120K+work truck starting salary once trained. He had work coming out his ears but couldn't find any Gen Z-ers to stick on as apprentices because it was too 'hard' to work 40-50 hours per week.

As with all generations...it's always someone else's fault....I just seem to hear that more from Gen Z and Mils the most though....

• Lost in translation
  • Bite the Bullet
  • Survey says!
  • Throw in the towel
  • Burn the midnight oil
  • Let sleeping dogs lie
  • What's your beef
  • You don't cut the mustard
  • Take the bull by the horns
  • Back to the salt mines
  • Rule of thumb

And for the fun of it - Last though most certainly not the least:
Beating a dead horse

I swear though - this horse lives on with each money and finance article release about the variances between generational "types". :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Enjoy the levity of the topic. :)

And to proclaim my regal ability to share statistic I know nothing about but Google led the way - until @SAJ-99 defines it so I may possibly understand his thinking of the statistics...

1709142718628.png

1709142773730.png

Tangent Time: There are a few members who are known for specific values... The word "values" used as you desire. That said, it does expand the considerations when reading their thoughts. Agree or disagree or...
Notable Hunt Talk members:
@noharleyyet The Thesaurus mogul (hense forth the "TM").
@SAJ-99 The financial analyst where #'s are one aspect and subjective postulation (word likely learned from our TM) of the data.
@VikingsGuy The legal beagle with the subjective presuppositions (again, a word likely learned from our TM).

All in good fun guys. Live and laugh. The Wilderness is within us all! :ROFLMAO:

It's always interesting how when we need to do overtime, it's ALWAYS the same dudes who ask for it and always thank me for it.

Coincidentally they also own homes, and drive nicer trucks.

Also Coincidence, they all have gray hair.

Seems if we would just offer overtime at a more convenient time, generally, tues,wed, thurs, not weekend,and if we could give 3 weeks heads up, our younger folks "would probably " take it.
My wife, who's a manager for a tech company standards are much higher when hiring.

She would like someone to complete a sentence without looking at their phone, an be within 15 min of the scheduled time.

I guess I didn't understand how rich we were.

Our 1 bath house, with no garage, no microwave, 1 phone, 1 TV, complete with a swamp cooler we couldn't use(too expensive), and a heater we didn't use because" splitting wood doesn't cost money" was a mansion.

At 30(51 now) I took my first full week off. Flew on my first plane at 26.

I remember well test one family vacation we took each year. Usually about 30 miles to the city to stay in a hotel with a pool for 1 night.

My Payless school shoes and Kmart clothes were tge height of fashion with boomer parents.

For dinner, generally some form of rice, macaroni noodle, or bean, complete with stuff from tge garden, and if dad had a good spring, meat from the cow we butchered.

I just don't know where my boomer construction worker dad had his new truck or my mom's cadillac.

I know it's tough being a Gen Z type person but you're young. It was tough for us boomers when we were young. In that meme about boomers, it says, "homeowner at age 22" In reality a boomer born with a penis, at age 22 was more than likely just getting out of his mandatory military service where he got paid a few bucks a month and room and board. That is if he was lucky enough to survive that military service. If born with a vagina, she was probably desperately looking for a husband to get her out of her menial job typing and making her boss's coffee or working for minimum wage putting little widgets together in some dirty little manufacturing joint.

We boomers have had to get through three recessions, the last one wiped out much of the retirement dreams of many. So, my advice to gen Z is to wait until you are ready to retire before comparing your life to someone who is now retired or ready to retire. Starting out in life is generally a hell of a lot harder than it is after you have 40 years of work behind you.

Couldn't open it, but assume it's much the same as all these articles from the past.😉

I know it's tough being a Gen Z type person but you're young. It was tough for us boomers when we were young. In that meme about boomers, it says, "homeowner at age 22" In reality a boomer born with a penis, at age 22 was more than likely just getting out of his mandatory military service where he got paid a few bucks a month and room and board. That is if he was lucky enough to survive that military service. If born with a vagina, she was probably desperately looking for a husband to get her out of her menial job typing and making her boss's coffee or working for minimum wage putting little widgets together in some dirty little manufacturing joint.

We boomers have had to get through three recessions, the last one wiped out much of the retirement dreams of many. So, my advice to gen Z is to wait until you are ready to retire before comparing your life to someone who is now retired or ready to retire. Starting out in life is generally a hell of a lot harder than it is after you have 40 years of work behind you.
These are great points that led me (a middle millennial, not a Gen Z kid), to look for some stats. According a 2017 NYT article, 40% of boomers served in the military. This typically applies to the older sect of boomers, as the younger boomers weren't graduating hs until after Vietnam. Most GenZers are probably referring to younger boomers, simply because older boomers are disappearing pretty quick. A boomer retiring in 2008 had it far worse than one retiring in 2018.

Couldn't open it, but assume it's much the same as all these articles from the past.😉

Similar, but more pointed at the fact that the millennials that are doing well, are in fact doing really well, and the ones that aren't, simply aren't. So yeah, income inequality and who is "better off" is less about what generation one belongs to and more just a factor of wealth distribution, career paths, etc.

You can't answer a simple a or b question on the other thread so I guess you deserve to give a little of that wealth to the FA.
Did you already grade the homework...lemme guess, 'it depends' is the correct response right.

Can't wait until the Gen Z (and whatever that 18-24 cohort is called) learns they can vote. Maybe we get some candidates that are actually coherent. Also, you can join AARP at any age. Spread the word.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 11.55.48 AM.png

Can't wait until the Gen Z (and whatever that 18-24 cohort is called) learns they can vote. Maybe we get some candidates that are actually coherent. Also, you can join AARP at any age. Spread the word.

View attachment 317352

That will be great! We will get to choose between wu-tang and Taylor Swift!

View attachment 317352

do you think those percentages per age bracket have stayed relatively constant throughout much of voting history?

i'd bet that percentage has gone up in the 18-24 range if anything.

Back