Sports Teams / Name change

This has been an issue for years. The only defense used in not changing the name was "tradition" and "history". The argument seems to focus on not wanting to accept that societal attitudes change and fighting change just to fight change. The name is offensive to many, so change it. It could benefit the organization. The team's play last year (and really for about 30yrs) is offensive to football fans. Change the name and they might sell more gear. Embrace the new name like the fans would embrace the team not sucking.

As for other organizations, if the name and image are approved, then it is fine. Seminoles, Eskimos, Blackhawks, etc. You are never going to make everyone happy.

You can also purchase a Caucasians T-shirt online. I think it is funny, but I don't offend easily. Reading things online, it seems the reaction to the shirt might change slightly depending on the ethnicity of the person wearing the shirt. You can change the name and play "Is it Racist?"
Vikings- Apparently not
Caucasian - ???
Jews- definitely yes
Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 10.32.35 AM.png

Wilm1313. It is a good podcast.

Let me be clear. I have been called every slang name in the book, both when in college and when guiding. And have even been threatened, even accosted, I DO understand. In a previous thread I mentioned some of what I had heard and been exposed to, so will not do so again here.
Before I go any further I dont have the answer for all of societies ills, I just know that I refuse to play the victim and look for others to take care of me and /or feel sorry for me simply because of where I was born and/or the color of my skin. If I was to do that I will be honest with you and tell you I get "put down" and "harassed" many many many more times for being female than being an Indian--or Inuit, or First Nation, or Eskimo;)

I dont have a problem with Edmonton using the name Eskimo, as long as they win :)

I can not speak for Washington

wilm1313, your last post, number 20----good point ! I bet we both like dogs, hunting, fishing

In a lot of cases it's hard to figure out what the insult is supposed to be. Naming a team after a Native American tribe seems more like an honor than something derogatory but what do I know? In the case of the Red Skins though, the term Red skin has always been a derogatory term meant to belittle the Natives. Sometime I think people get in their own way trying to be politically correct though. Not too far from here there is a small lake that was named Squaw lake. The Forest Service decided that the name was unacceptable so they changed it to Sru Lake. Sru is apparently a word from a local tribe meaning Grandmother or something like that. That's fine but the word is pronounced shrew which to my knowledge has long been used as a derogatory term for a woman. Then there is another lake with the name of Squaw along with Squaw Peak and Squaw creek all on the same Forest. No name change, go figure. Then on BLM land there is a mountain once known as "the 'N' word Ben." Funny, I cant say the 'N' word because it has become so toxic but I can say the phrase "the 'N' word" in it's place even though everyone knows the phrase "the 'N' word" means the 'N' word so they are in fact one in the same. But to get back to the 'N' word Ben mountain they changed the name to Negro Ben Mountain. I guess that is somehow less offensive. I makes me wonder though about the original name. I suspect there was a pioneer living there who went by the name of the 'N' word Ben. He must have been well liked and respected because not just anyone gets a mountain named after them. So by changing the name of the mountain aren't they disrespecting the man the mountain was named for?

I think the answer I need is, "If we change a team name today, how will things actually be better in 5 or 10 years?" Remember that the Washington Bullets became the Washington Wizards? Did we see any measurable change in anything?

Oh, and uh, Go Beavers!!!

QQ

In a lot of cases it's hard to figure out what the insult is supposed to be. Naming a team after a Native American tribe seems more like an honor than something derogatory but what do I know? In the case of the Red Skins though, the term Red skin has always been a derogatory term meant to belittle the Natives. Sometime I think people get in their own way trying to be politically correct though. Not too far from here there is a small lake that was named Squaw lake. The Forest Service decided that the name was unacceptable so they changed it to Sru Lake. Sru is apparently a word from a local tribe meaning Grandmother or something like that. That's fine but the word is pronounced shrew which to my knowledge has long been used as a derogatory term for a woman. Then there is another lake with the name of Squaw along with Squaw Peak and Squaw creek all on the same Forest. No name change, go figure. Then on BLM land there is a mountain once known as "the 'N' word Ben." Funny, I cant say the 'N' word because it has become so toxic but I can say the phrase "the 'N' word" in it's place even though everyone knows the phrase "the 'N' word" means the 'N' word so they are in fact one in the same. But to get back to the 'N' word Ben mountain they changed the name to Negro Ben Mountain. I guess that is somehow less offensive. I makes me wonder though about the original name. I suspect there was a pioneer living there who went by the name of the 'N' word Ben. He must have been well liked and respected because not just anyone gets a mountain named after them. So by changing the name of the mountain aren't they disrespecting the man the mountain was named for?

There has been a lot of discussion to change all of the southern Oregon names you mentioned, as well as the Dead Indian Mountain and Dead Indian Road. I expect it will occur soon.

Washington should have gotten out in front of this years ago. Work with a local tribe and create a partnership for a name change. Stubborn refusal may have worked in the past, but we all knew it wouldn't be successful in the long run. Tribal members have been protesting these team names for years and the managers haven't had a good faith discussion on it.

Harely, along those lines

Dildo, Labrador ,

how did it get its name ?

asking for a friend

Do you have any idea what Randi is talking about in her post. Bevo ???? ( she hasn't gotten back to me )

Change the names and lets play ball already. One season from now the name will be completely forgotten and no one will give a rip. There weren't any protests changing the New Orleans Hornets to the New Orleans Pelicans. You just bought a new jersey, went to the game, and it was over.

Change the names and lets play ball already. One season from now the name will be completely forgotten and no one will give a rip. There weren't any protests changing the New Orleans Hornets to the New Orleans Pelicans. You just bought a new jersey, went to the game, and it was over.
Easier said than done. Changing a team out of wokeness alienates a lot of fans that haven't been woked. That costs $

I'm still confused and haven't heard a robust argument as to why it's offensive, who's offended and why does it matter how offended someone is. Can anyone please explain on a non-identity, broadly applicable level???? Other than that this is another mediocre, bland and uninteresting topic that feigns progress at the expense of intellectual pursuits.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back