Sports Teams / Name change

I saw someone mention they thought "Kneelers" would be apropos, but then everyone would fight over the attending mascot/logo.

Arizona has more Native Nations than any other state. All my Native American friends have told me that they like the Washington mascot as it is, and see no reason to do away with it. There's a fierceness and pride seen in the individual. They don't see the name as a controversy --- they have much more important things to address for their people.

It's like everything else now --- social consciousness is being pushed by those with no direct connection with the particular issue ...
I fully get that for Braves or Chiefs or Warriors -- don't get why they like Redskins given its historical usage -- but it's not for me to tell natives how to think. I also have seen African Americans tell neighbors one thing and while expressing another when alone just to go along to get along. I am sure the views cover the gamut.

On the topic of team names and mascots there is not a consensus among Natives. Some feel like no team or mascot should be in the likeness of native people (We're not mascots), others could care less even support those teams. I fall in the middle. I'm fine with native team names and mascots provided they are done respectfully. Florida State has a good working relationship with the Seminole tribes of Florida, respectful. Chief wahoo, disrespectful trash. The football team in Washington does somethings right and something wrong. Their logo was designed by a Blackfeet man and is very respectful, their mascot has been a native man for years now, also respectful. Their name is not, their fans who dress in headdresses and redface are not respectful. Previously I have been an advocate for them to get permission from a specific tribe to use their name, like Florida State. However, it seems like its too late for that and will likely need to change their name to have no association with native people.

Last edited:
So many mistakes we have made in history that cant be fixed. Why not fix the ones that can be. Why anyone would give two shits about changing a sports teams name is beyond me.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back