Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Sports Teams / Name change

If an actual Scandanavian heritage group would like to contact me and share their offense I will happily ask BigFin to change my HT name. - see, it's not that hard. Or maybe I could pay their members a small royalty and get their ok like the FSU Seminoles?

But since this is a total phony argument on your behalf it is neither hypocritical or ironic.
I am contacting you as a member:
I will not take any royalties thank you.

It is not a phony argument, and on what grounds or authority do you claim that? What is the relationship between the number of people espousing beliefs and/or what organizations they are a member of have to the veracity of anyone's claims??? I'm confused by that. Please help.

I am contacting you as a member:
I will not take any royalties thank you.

It is not a phony argument, and on what grounds or authority do you claim that? What is the relationship between the number of people espousing beliefs and/or what organizations they are a member of have to the veracity of anyone's claims??? I'm confused by that. Please help.

I have the family tree that shows 100% Scandinavian lineage to the 1300s so not exactly the sad parallel you are trying to make.

P.S. Please forward your appointment as spokesperson for the group, also please send some survey data that suggests significant support of your concern, explain how a 100% Scandinavian can misuse the term Vikings? I will take all of that under serious advisement.

Last edited:
You guys can stop replying to my posts trying to convince me I should give a crap about how the football team name affects or offends the Native Americans or any other race. I have ZERO sympathy for that struggle. No amount of wiki pages or federally funded studies will change my mind. Or even a Native American telling me that it bothers them face to face.

It's ok we have different stances on it. I think it's a non issue some think it is an issue. 100% ok.

Maybe to try and pull out of the weeds a little.....the argument to rename goes like this:
Redskins logo is racist (can logos be racist? Or is it that owner/fans are racist?? People are racist but not objects correct? Or is it more offensive than racist)
Racist sports logo is bad
Bad logo/name should be changed

My question is what is the evidence to support claim #1 and how would you word it? In all seriousness.
Claim 2 is easy to support...the belief that humans are separate based on "race" is immoral and not supported by our current understanding of genetics.
Third postulate naturally follows.

Maybe to try and pull out of the weeds a little.....

Context is king, if you don't acknowledge the context the whole conversation is moot. If you don't acknowledge the power dynamic the conversation is moot.

The whole vikings thing is a strawman argument.

More likely the beginning of the beginning.
I agree.

I have no problem with names of things as insignificant as sports teams being changed in order to be more respectful.

My litmus test for this kind of thing is as follows: Would you walk up to someone today and ask them if they were a "Redskin" to their face? Of course not. Would you ask a woman if she was a Squaw? Probably not.

Times change. And we learn (hopefully) to become better people in the process.

Names of places are changing too. Mostly I have no opinion on things like the ‘Redskins’, as I consider myself white (I am significantly more native than prominent people that pass themselves off as native, but I am not native in my view)
One place that I find my self hoping gets a little thought put into its name, is that I hope the BLM can find a better name for what was Chinaman
Campground at Canyon Ferry, now named ‘campground 1’

The Chinese contributions to mining in western Montana are an important part of Montana history. If Chinaman is offensive, maybe something not offensive that has something to do with their contribution can be chosen.
Of course, I haven’t asked any Chinese American mining descendants if they want to be remembered for their contribution to settling the state, but did the BLM ask them about changing the name?

Last edited:
Names of places are changing too. Mostly I have no opinion on thingnga like the ‘Redskins’, as I consider myself white (I am significantly more native than prominent people that pass themselves off as native, but I am not native in my view)
One place that I find my self hoping gets a little thought put into its name, is that I hope the BLM can find a better name for what was Chinaman
Campground at Canyon Ferry, now named ‘campground 1’

The Chinese contributions to mining in western Montana are an important part of Montana history. If Chinaman is offensive, maybe something not offensive that has something to do with their contribution can be chosen.
Of course, I haven’t asked any Chinese American mining descendants if they want to be remembered for their contribution to settling the state, but did the BLM ask them about changing the name?
IMO this is exactly the right answer to so many "renaming" questions right now. Well put.

You guys can stop replying to my posts trying to convince me I should give a crap about how the football team name affects or offends the Native Americans or any other race. I have ZERO sympathy for that struggle. No amount of wiki pages or federally funded studies will change my mind. Or even a Native American telling me that it bothers them face to face.

It's ok we have different stances on it. I think it's a non issue some think it is an issue. 100% ok.
I’m with you. I don’t care either. I’ve been sleeping fine over the whole thing for the 25 years I have known about it. I just ask you to acknowledge some other people more directly related to the situation do care and listen to their arguments. I think you will find that you equally don’t care if the name is changed either. And we will agree on that too. 😀

As I type the the Redskins just announced they are reviewing their name. They will likely be some other name before Labor Day.

As I type the the Redskins just announced they are reviewing their name. They will likely be some other name before Labor Day.
Don't be so sure. Guys with a B preceding worth can absorb big hits. I still say money will be the eventual turning point. Given that, it ain't much of a victory if it happens. Snyder's plans to build a new stadium comes into play also. Still, money. mtmuley

Don't be so sure. Guys with a B preceding worth can absorb big hits. I still say money will be the eventual turning point. Given that, it ain't much of a victory if it happens. mtmuley
I agree, this is a business decision. When 31 other guys with Bs (some with many more Bs than Snyder) decide you are causing them a problem things will happen - see, Clippers.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back