Sports Teams / Name change

It’s just grown dudes playing around with a ball. Then other grown dudes ,who are old enough to know better, walk around with the ball dudes name on their back and drink beer.

Oh there will come a day when Viqueens is offensive to enough people. Raiders, Browns, etc..., etc...
Hell there is a push now to change the name of the Texas Rangers. That is our baseball team, but also happens to be the highest level and most respected law enforcement in the state.

If Vikings offends feel free to change it - been a fan for over 50 years, season ticket holder for many of those - don't care what they call the team. I won't even need a new jersey to wear as my old school Tark #10 will alway be in style.

If a name or statue made it into 2020...let's be honest. It isn't that damn offensive.

They only made it to 2020 because the same excuses have carried the day for 60 years. Embracing the confederate flag and putting up statues of long dead traitors who fought to prolong slavery offended plenty in 1950 - their opinion just didn't make the news. I have a co-worker who grew up in the upper Midwest only because her father had to flee Mississippi in the middle of the night because he objected to one of those statues that went up in the 50's - but at least the local Klan was kind enough to give him 8 hours to leave town - one of his friends had been hung earlier without such courtesy.

Imagine having the power to change something as meaningless as a sports team's name knowing fully well that it is detrimental to the psychological health of children, per @wllm1313 example, and not changing it. Total dick move.

Still didn't really answer any of the questions. An opinion poll is not a well constructed argument. If it really is so obvious why can't someone just lay out the argument so we can take part?

There is something inherently problematic about an outsider attempting to speak for someone else and attempting to explain why that group of people feels the way they do, hence why I attempted to direct people to primary source material in previous posts.

That being said, I will give an attempt, I'm painting with very broad strokes.

This, like the statutes thread, is all about the lack of positive representations of groups. There are few if any positive, accurate representations of Native Americans (in this sentence positive and accurate are equally important). Essentially there are caricatures (chief wahoo), mis-representations (Pocahontas), and then white portrayals of Native American's (Edward Curtis Photos, many of which are completely contrived or Aaron Huey photography... very negative representation). These deceptions are either ridiculous or seem to put Native American's in a historical context. Because of these representations, both the chief wahoo and the Curtis photos many American's don't even realize that there still are Native American tribes.

Peer reviewed studies have proven that this lack of positive depictions has a discernible negative impact on individuals.

The fighting irish mascot is different because there are numerous positive and celebrated depictions of Irish Americans, further that group has in many ways taken ownership over that caricature.

This is probably a poor metaphor, but imagine if the only depictions of hunters were Elmer Fud, Roosevelt in his coonskin cap, national geographic videos on the extermination of the buffalo in the 1800s, and the obnoxious news movie depictions we all hate where we either look like goons or they just get everything totally wrong.

Hunter's are a minority group, but we have voices like Randy, Rinella, etc that speak to the larger community about our experience. There is certainly more to hunting that Fud chasing bugs, we (mostly) shrug off the Fud depiction because we have those voices and those positive images.

Again I'm not trying to inject my personal opinion or speak for others. Everyone is going to have their own opinion and there are diverse opinions in Native communities about the issue.

And, if the name of the Washington Redskins is changed, it will be driven by $$$$$$$. As soon as Snyders pocketbook is hit enough, he'll consider it I bet. Great victory. mtmuley

Absolutely, we live in America.

That irony being . . . for the lost.
Two ways......
That your username is Vikingsguy........as a person with Scandinavian heritage it is deeply offensive that you use my heritage and reduce it to an outdated, offensive caricature of my identity and you should change your username.
And secondly that you are obliviously arguing ( at least I think you are attempting to) against your own malfeasance. Looking down the barrel with your hand on the trigger so to say.

The whole 19 year old rich white college kid "woke" thing is ridiculous, I agree. But maybe if folks with real problems and real concerns got a little empathy, grace and less, "not my problem" the circumstances wouldn't lend themselves to the silly academia hyperbole we are now served.
I can agree with that. I know a lot of people who waste resources on silly stuff that could help a lot if went to the right places. I'm all for taking care of you and your own first, but God has given most of us more than we need and he did that hoping we will help others where its needed. You want seven boats I'm ok with that it's your life, but there is alot of people with zero boats running around this world and I just ask that people make themselves aware of this before they buy number 8.

I'm using boats symbolically, it could mean food, housing, clothes, toothpaste, shoes, etc...

Two ways......
That your username is Vikingsguy........as a person with Scandinavian heritage it is deeply offensive that you use my heritage and reduce it to an outdated, offensive characature of my identity and you should change your username.
And secondly that you are obliviously arguing ( at least I think you are attempting to) against your own malfeasance. Looking down the barrel with your hand on the trigger so to say.
If an actual Scandanavian heritage group would like to contact me and share their offense I will happily ask BigFin to change my HT name. - see, it's not that hard. Or maybe I could pay their members a small royalty and get their ok like the FSU Seminoles?

But since this is a total phony argument on your behalf it is neither hypocritical or ironic.

P.S. my heritage is 100% Scandinavian so it’s like telling a Native American they can’t use the word Chief.

Last edited:
I can agree with that. I know a lot of people who waste resources on silly stuff that could help a lot if went to the right places. I'm all for taking care of you and your own first, but God has given most of us more than we need and he did that hoping we will help others where its needed. You want seven boats I'm ok with that it's your life, but there is alot of people with zero boats running around this world and I just ask that people make themselves aware of this before they buy number 8.

I'm using boats symbolically, it could mean food, housing, clothes, toothpaste, shoes, etc...
Well said.

-yours in Christ,
VG

If Vikings offends feel free to change it - been a fan for over 50 years, season ticket holder for many of those - don't care what they call the team. I won't even need a new jersey to wear as my old school Tark #10 will alway be in style.

My complicated relationship with the Vikings goes pretty much to the beginning. Your reference to Tarkington, brought back a good memory. While duck hunting with my cousins and uncle we would often listen the the Vikings as we ate lunch and took a break. My uncle was not a Tarkington fan. One Sunday Butkus intercepted a Tarkington pass. My uncle just started repeating Tarkington to Butkus, Tarkington to Butkus.

Sadly the Vikings have never had a truly great quarterback. Some truly great players,,,but we all know how it shakes out at the end.

Last edited:
If an actual Scandanavian heritage group would like to contact me and share their offense I will happily ask BigFin to change my HT name. - see, it's not that hard. Or maybe I could pay their members a small royalty and get their ok like the FSU Seminoles?

But since this is a total phony argument on your behalf it is neither hypocritical or ironic.
Where is your empathy for asdew1880's plight?

My complicated relationship with the Vikings goes pretty much to the beginning. Your reference to Tarkington, brought back a good memory. While duck hunting with my cousins and uncle we would often listen the the Vikings as we ate lunch and took a break. My uncle has not a Tarkington fan. One Sunday Butkus intercepted a Tarkington pass. My uncle just started repeating Tarkington to Butkus, Tarkington to Butkus.

Sadly the Vikings have never had a truly great quarterback. Some truly great players,,,but we all know how it shakes out at the end.
That's good stuff.

My complicated relationship with the Vikings goes pretty much to the beginning. Your reference to Tarkington, brought back a good memory. While duck hunting with my cousins and uncle we would often listen the the Vikings as we ate lunch and took a break. My uncle was not a Tarkington fan. One Sunday Butkus intercepted a Tarkington pass. My uncle just started repeating Tarkington to Butkus, Tarkington to Butkus.

I remember my dad yelling at the screen while they choked in SB IV, I remember when Bill Brown fumbled after halftime, when Darren Nelson dropped the pass on the goal line, 41-0, wide right, 12 men in the huddle, Foles greatest game, etc It is a long and painful list. But it is our bond as Minnesotans.

Since we are now talking Vikings,,, I really enjoyed the span when Moss first came into the league. They were so talented on offense,, just unbelievable. We know how it turned out thou.:(

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back