Sports Teams / Name change

I'm still confused and haven't heard a robust argument as to why it's offensive, who's offended and why does it matter how offended someone is. Can anyone please explain on a non-identity, broadly applicable level???? Other than that this is another mediocre, bland and uninteresting topic that feigns progress at the expense of intellectual pursuits.
"Four studies examined the consequences of American Indian mascots and other prevalent representations of American Indians on aspects of the self-concept for American Indian students. When exposed to Chief Wahoo, Chief Illinwek, Pocahontas, or other common American Indian images, American Indian students generated positive associations (Study 1, high school) but reported depressed state self-esteem (Study 2, high school), and community worth (Study 3, high school), and fewer achievement-related possible selves (Study 4, college). We suggest that American Indian mascots are harmful because they remind American Indians of the limited ways others see them and, in this way, constrain how they can see themselves. "

Harley is probably listening to music

Bevo is the name of the mascot for Texas, a Texas Longhorn bull.

He attempted to eliminate Georgia mascot, a bulldog, before the game started.

We did eliminate them after the game started:)

Asdew1880 I typed and deleted a response. I will let others, more seasoned and educated men and women address your post.

"Four studies examined the consequences of American Indian mascots and other prevalent representations of American Indians on aspects of the self-concept for American Indian students. When exposed to Chief Wahoo, Chief Illinwek, Pocahontas, or other common American Indian images, American Indian students generated positive associations (Study 1, high school) but reported depressed state self-esteem (Study 2, high school), and community worth (Study 3, high school), and fewer achievement-related possible selves (Study 4, college). We suggest that American Indian mascots are harmful because they remind American Indians of the limited ways others see them and, in this way, constrain how they can see themselves. "
They probably got a federal grant to do this study. Perfect example of tax dollars put down the drain.
Were studying if something offends someone and how that offensiveness affects the offendeds life. I mean give me a break! Shit offends me everyday...deal with it and life goes on. The lady that farted in line at the gas station today offended me. I'm ok tho and expect no change or apology.
Fart away farty pants!

They probably got a federal grant to do this study. Perfect example of tax dollars put down the drain.
Were studying if something offends someone and how that offensiveness affects the offendeds life. I mean give me a break! Shit offends me everyday...deal with it and life goes on. The lady that farted in line at the gas station today offended me. I'm ok tho and expect no change or apology.
Fart away farty pants!

I think a fart is a little bit different than the most common depiction of your ethnicity being a caricature.

Harely, along those lines

Dildo, Labrador ,

how did it get its name ?

asking for a friend

Do you have any idea what Randi is talking about in her post. Bevo ???? ( she hasn't gotten back to me )

UT Longhorn Mascot? NM, Randi know about Mother Texas.

No idea on the Steely Dan euphemism...somewhere in Oklahoma maybe? :)

I'm still confused and haven't heard a robust argument as to why it's offensive, who's offended and why does it matter how offended someone is. Can anyone please explain on a non-identity, broadly applicable level???? Other than that this is another mediocre, bland and uninteresting topic that feigns progress at the expense of intellectual pursuits.
The New York K*kes
The Boston D*gos
The Chicago N****ers
The Washington Redskins

I don't think a robust argument is necessary to understand that none of these 4 names are OK.

If you agree the first 3 are not OK, but still don't understand why people care about the 4th - then simply, to many Native Americans there is no difference between the 4 and fairly ask why the 4th remains.

If you still don't get it, I invite you to take the onpoint challenge.

I own a football team I wanna name it "blank"
This offends a group of people. I'm supposed to care why? Your offended so my right to name my team whatever I want deserves to get trampled? Wellllll Im offended that your offended so now your right to be offended is trampled. Then your offended that I'm offended....and the circle of PCness marches on until the end of time.

This offends a group of people. I'm supposed to care why? Your offended so my right to name my team whatever I want deserves to get trampled? Wellllll Im offended that your offended so now your right to be offended is trampled. Then your offended that I'm offended....and the circle of PCness marches on until the end of time.

Attachments

• tenor.gif
    tenor.gif
    192.3 KB · Views: 0
It will be gone before 2025 because - $$$ Advertisers are finally putting their money down on this issue. The NFL will dance. Snyder will either change the name or he will be forced to sell - and yes, the private business known as the NFL can do this if they wish (see, Clippers).

The Washington Redskins

I don't think a robust argument is necessary to understand that none of these 4 names are OK.

If you agree the first 3 are not OK, but still don't understand why people care about the 4th - then simply, to many Native Americans there is no difference between the 4 and fairly ask why the 4th remains.

It is a business name. If the owner likes it and he is satisfied with and it is not illegal, so be it. If it is bad for business he can change the name or leave it alone and cost himself money....if he so chooses.

So your saying the first offended party owns the rights to be correct? Why is the first offended more important than the second?

It is a business name. If the owner likes it and he is satisfied with and it is not illegal, so be it. If it is bad for business he can change the name or leave it alone and cost himself money....if he so chooses.

Wasn't talking laws - was talking right and wrong.

So your saying the first offended party owns the rights to be correct? Why is the first offended more important than the second?

Being offended because someone doesn't like your business name is not the same as a marginalized group of people being offended over a pejorative term.

Bob Dylan once said "the times they are a-changin'." Of course Ron Burgundy had never heard that song.

It will be gone before 2025 because - $$$ Advertisers are finally putting their money down on this issue. The NFL will dance. Snyder will either change the name or he will be forced to sell - and yes, the private business known as the NFL can do this if they wish (see, Clippers).
And all of that is 100% fine by me. I'll be waiting here for someone to tell me how much better America is after the name change. I will ask for examples and sources.
Being offended because someone doesn't like your business name is not the same as a marginalized group of people being offended over a pejorative term.

Bob Dylan once said "the times they are a-changin'." Of course Ron Burgundy had never heard that song.
But it is the same. The name matters to me it has meaning and history to me. But that doesnt matter only the offendeds point of view matters. Cause they cant grow the heck up and live there life without worrying about the name of my business.
Boycott it then your not forced to use my business or root for my business its America your free to hate my business name and I'm free to name it what I want.

To be clear I totally get it. I just dont give a crap or have any sympathy cause I think it's absolutely ridiculous. That's my choice to feel that way. Just like I find it absolutely ridiculous that I'm eating my lunch trying to defend my position on this ludacris subject matter...lol

It's a football team name nothing more nothing less.

For clarity's sake - I do not mean, "If you do not agree, then leave", what I meant was, "If you continue to 'not understand' then we are better off if you leave". To understand and yet disagree is one thing, but the constant "feigned ignorance" grows tiring.

There is a certain group of people that can be over-sensitive. But there is also a certain group of people that can just be asshats. Snyder (owner of the Washington football team) is wearing a size XL asshat. His team's nickname seems to cross the boundary for most folks including those it depicts. On the other hand, when the group says it is okay to use the nickname depicting them, then you are being overly sensitive if you are offended for them (ie Edmonton Eskimos).

Hilljackoutlaw, I will agree with you that being offended has really changed and the pandering to anyone who yells the loudest that they are offended has to stop. Last time I checked, there was no constitutional amendment that said you shall not be offended. With one notable exception. I am offended every year at the play of the Vikings and not winning the Super Bowl. They need to correct that for VikingsGuy and myself.

Back