Yeti GOBOX Collection

"English" bird names, "Offensive or Exclusionary" to change.

Sytes

Get ready to say goodbye to a lot of familiar bird names, like Anna's Hummingbird, Gambel's Quail, Lewis's Woodpecker, Bewick's Wren, Bullock's Oriole, and more.

"That's because the American Ornithological Society has vowed to change the English names of all bird species currently named after people, along with any other bird names deemed offensive or exclusionary."

"That really started to change in 2020, when police officers killed George Floyd in Minneapolis. On that same day, a white woman in Central Park called the police on black birder Christian Cooper, claiming he was threatening her.

Less than a month later, a group called Bird Names for Birds wrote to the leadership of the society, pointing out the potential problems that come with eponymous honors and demanding change.

They noted that a 2019 proposal to rename a small prairie bird that had previously been named for Confederate General John P. McCown had been rejected.

In 2021, the society officially gave that bird the name "Thick-billed Longspur," after amending its naming guidelines to explicitly consider social justice reasons, says Handel.

"Because of those associations with racism and slavery, it was decided that this name needed to be changed," she explains"

Last edited:
🤦‍♂️ How can anyone be so petty as to be offended by the name of a freakin bird?! Unfortunately one of the biggest problems isn’t the crazy people who demand all this change because they’re always offended, it the spineless cowards in leadership that won’t stand up and put the fringe minorities in their place.

If being smart enough to realize you can’t erase history by tearing down monuments, concrete or verbal, makes you a racist, then throw me in that category. Or maybe we can all join the crazy train and make everyone with last names like Washington, Jackson, Jefferson, etc. change their names too! Why stop at birds and college mascots?!

🤦‍♂️ How can anyone be so petty as to be offended by the name of a freakin bird?! Unfortunately one of the biggest problems isn’t the crazy people who demand all this change because they’re always offended, it the spineless cowards in leadership that won’t stand up and put the fringe minorities in their place.

If being smart enough to realize you can’t erase history by tearing down monuments, concrete or verbal, makes you a racist, then throw me in that category. Or maybe we can all join the crazy train and make everyone with last names like Washington, Jackson, Jefferson, etc. change their names too! Why stop at birds and college mascots?!

There are people in existence, that words, phrases and the like, hurt. Words.

Those people are protected by other people, so as to not have the hurt group, by words, offended. So they are offended (the 'protectors') when the 'offended' are hurt by...letters ....

Words hurt.

Heck, just yesterday a member here was hurt by words typed out. Straight forward words. Easily understood and unoffensive, straight shot words.

I am a bird watcher. There, I said it, I am out of the closet, think of me what you will. Notice I said, "bird watcher" rather than "birder". I refuse to participate in changing the name of things just for the sake of changing the name of things. I find it frustrating whenever the American Ornithological Society changes the name of a bird, so this will be beyond exasperating if they change a bunch all at once. Especially when the reasoning is that it would be too hard to figure out who is worthy of having a bird named after them and who isn't, so we'll will just strip everyone of the honor, whether they are worthy or not. All without scrutinizing the worthiness of the members of the American Ornithological Society to make the changes.

I wonder if the Audubon Society will have to remove his name from their group.

Why do I feel that somehow the publishers of "Petersons Field Guides" are behind this. Now everyone will have to buy a new field guide. "We'll make millions".

Next on the apologist agenda:

Cervus canadensis roosevelti.

White people get angry about the dumbest shit.
Rephrased for accuracy. 😉

White people including many other races wonder why the #*^@#* extreme racists get angry about the dumbest shit.

Last edited:
I am a bird watcher. There, I said it, I am out of the closet, think of me what you will. Notice I said, "bird watcher" rather than "birder". I refuse to participate in changing the name of things just for the sake of changing the name of things. I find it frustrating whenever the American Ornithological Society changes the name of a bird, so this will be beyond exasperating if they change a bunch all at once. Especially when the reasoning is that it would be too hard to figure out who is worthy of having a bird named after them and who isn't, so we'll will just strip everyone of the honor, whether they are worthy or not. All without scrutinizing the worthiness of the members of the American Ornithological Society to make the changes.

I wonder if the Audubon Society will have to remove his name from their group.

Why do I feel that somehow the publishers of "Petersons Field Guides" are behind this. Now everyone will have to buy a new field guide. "We'll make millions".
So sick of Big Bird Guide pumping us for all our cash.

Kit Carson Peak in Colorado to be renamed.

A disgusting American joins our disgusting John Muir...

I agree with changing names that hold racial slurs, i.e. "nigger", etc though not a fan of the modern apologist era where John Muir, Kit Carson, etc are not recognized for the quality historical aspects they brought to life.

I acknowledge the trail of tears is a disgusting portion of our HISTORY. Though this is along the lines to say, pull Malcolm X statue, remove any named Commanche tribe member(s) or the tribal name use for their ruthless slaughter of American settlers and slavery of white girls, etc...

Apologists for the loss...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back