Sports Teams / Name change

And all of that is 100% fine by me. I'll be waiting here for someone to tell me how much better America is after the name change. I will ask for examples and sources.
But it is the same. The name matters to me it has meaning and history to me. But that doesnt matter only the offendeds point of view matters. Cause they cant grow the heck up and live there life without worrying about the name of my business.
Boycott it then your not forced to use my business or root for my business its America your free to hate my business name and I'm free to name it what I want.

To be clear I totally get it. I just dont give a crap or have any sympathy cause I think it's absolutely ridiculous. That's my choice to feel that way. Just like I find it absolutely ridiculous that I'm eating my lunch trying to defend my position on this ludacris subject matter...lol

It's a football team name nothing more nothing less.

I'll refer you to post #48.

I get what you're saying. It doesn't impact your life one bit. Your feelings don't get hurt, cool. Others may have a different experience though. We should listen to them and try to be better.

I just dont give a crap or have any sympathy cause I think it's absolutely ridiculous.

So, if your kid came to you and said, "Dad, I know you intended it as a term of endearment, but when you call me 'dufus' in front of my friends it really hurts my feelings could please just call me 'Rick' or 'son'?"

Is your answer, "that is the stupidest thing you have ever said - this family has real problems and this is what you bring to me - what a disgrace"?

Or might it be, "sorry, didn't know it bothered you, wasn't intended, I'll clean it up, now go mow the damn lawn"?

What I find curious is that people that supposedly don't give a crap about these topics spend a lot of time objecting to changes. If you don't care about the name of a football team, then why do you care that it stays the same?

Last edited:
So, if your kid came to you and said, "Dad, I know you intended it as a term of indearment, but when you call me 'dufus' in front of my friends it really hurts my feelings could please just call me 'Rick' or 'son'?"

Is your answer, "that is the stupidest thing you have ever said - this family has real problems and this is what you bring to me - what a disgrace"?

Or might it be, "sorry, didn't know it bothered you, wasn't intended, I'll clean it up, now go mow the damn lawn"?

What I find curious is that people that supposedly don't give a crap about these topics spend a lot of time objecting to changes. If you don't care about the name of a football team, then why do you care that it stays the same?
Idc if its changed. I care that people are so thin skinned and whine about everything. Every person in the world has their struggles and things to overcome and it's not up to other people to overcome them for you.

Then I'll ask it. Who has more right to be offended? The person who feels attacked or the business owner who in fact is being attacked?
Simple - Redskins is simply offensive in the eyes of thousands of people. Snyder can be irritated, put out, frustrated and angry, but he is not "offended".

If I call my wife fat and she gets mad at me and won't talk to me for 3 days, who should apologize first? I am the ass who caused the problem - she is offended, I am just irritated at her response - I apologize seems so simple.

So, if your kid came to you and said, "Dad, I know you intended it as a term of indearment, but when you call me 'dufus' in front of my friends it really hurts my feelings could please just call me 'Rick' or 'son'?"

Because many don't like pandering to wokeness for woke's sake. It is never ending. If you find Redskins offensive, cheer for the Cowboys, Eagles, or Giants. Or pick a team that has never won a superbowl like the Viqueens:D.

"Four studies examined the consequences of American Indian mascots and other prevalent representations of American Indians on aspects of the self-concept for American Indian students. When exposed to Chief Wahoo, Chief Illinwek, Pocahontas, or other common American Indian images, American Indian students generated positive associations (Study 1, high school) but reported depressed state self-esteem (Study 2, high school), and community worth (Study 3, high school), and fewer achievement-related possible selves (Study 4, college). We suggest that American Indian mascots are harmful because they remind American Indians of the limited ways others see them and, in this way, constrain how they can see themselves. "
Still didn't really answer any of the questions. An opinion poll is not a well constructed argument. If it really is so obvious why can't someone just lay out the argument so we can take part?

I also dont believe the outrage on this topic. I live just off a reservation interact with Native Americans every single day. Play pickup bball with them at the reservation rec building. Play softball with them. Play in golf league with them. With all those sports going on the topic of team names has never once been brought up.

The New York K*kes
The Boston D*gos
The Chicago N****ers
The Washington Redskins

I don't think a robust argument is necessary to understand that none of these 4 names are OK.

If you agree the first 3 are not OK, but still don't understand why people care about the 4th - then simply, to many Native Americans there is no difference between the 4 and fairly ask why the 4th remains.

If you still don't get it, I invite you to take the onpoint challenge.
If a robust argument is too much of a mental exercise, then any argument would be helpful. Without that, what are we really doing here???

Find 4 Native Americans that are offended and prop them up on Fox, CNN, and MSNBC and poof all of a sudden they speak for all.

Idc if its changed. I care that people are so thin skinned and whine about everything. Every person in the world has their struggles and things to overcome and it's not up to other people to overcome them for you.

I think that a person who is not a Redskins fan who worries about others asking for a team name change is more thin skinned that those asking for the change. That the folks who fret about removing the confederate flag from police uniforms in South Dakota of all places are far more thin skinned than the folks who think that it should go. That folks who cry about the "re-writing of history" by the removal of a statue of a confederate traitor that wasn't even erected until 1950 as a clear warning to the civil rights workers in a town the folks haven't even been to is far more thin skinned.

And I agree we have much bigger problems to solve, all the more reason to patch up these easy ones and get to the real work - but I am guessing folks won't like that either. If you are saying that we need to spend less time debating the Redskins team name and spend more time and $$ resolving the major issues facing our reservations, then I apologize - you are right. But my guess is you don't care about any of it - and that's a problem.

I think that a person who is not a Redskins fan who worries about others asking for a team name change is more thin skinned that those asking for the change. That the folks who fret about removing the confederate flag from police uniforms in South Dakota of all places are far more thin skinned than the folks who think that it should go. That folks who cry about the "re-writing of history" by the removal of a statue of a confederate traitor that wasn't even erected until 1950 as a clear warning to the civil rights workers in a town the folks haven't even been to is far more thin skinned.

And I agree we have much bigger problems to solve, all the more reason to patch up these easy ones and get to the real work - but I am guessing folks won't like that either. If you are saying that we need to spend less time debating the Redskins team name and spend more time and $$ resolving the major issues facing our reservations, then I apologize - you are right. But my guess is you don't care about any of it - and that's a problem.
2 years ago wife picked up a pregnant Native American girl walking down the back road who had been beaten and kicked out by her boyfriend. She had no family on this reservation. We housed and fed her for 3 days in our house all while we still went to work still. Contacted our church and found her a temporary place to stay for people in her situation while she got herself in order.

Yep I dont give a crap. But I do give a crap about a REAL problem or struggle.

If you still don't get it, I invite you to take the onpoint challenge.
Quasi moderator are ya? And, if the name of the Washington Redskins is changed, it will be driven by $$$$$$$. As soon as Snyders pocketbook is hit enough, he'll consider it I bet. Great victory. mtmuley

2 years ago wife picked up a pregnant Native American girl walking down the back road who had been beaten and kicked out by her boyfriend. She had no family on this reservation. We housed and fed her for 3 days in our house all while we still went to work still. Contacted our church and found her a temporary place to stay for people in her situation while she got herself in order.

Yep I dont give a crap. But I do give a crap about a REAL problem or struggle.
This deserves no thanks or notoriety. It's simply being a caring person and trying to help. Things of that nature do help. Being offended for others because of the name of a football team does nothing. Changing the name of a football team wont mean the signs that say "these hands are for beating the drum please report spousal abuse to this number" will be taken down from the reservation. But go on promoting the wokeness its helping I can tell.

That irony being . . . for the lost.
Oh there will come a day when Viqueens is offensive to enough people. Raiders, Browns, etc..., etc...
Hell there is a push now to change the name of the Texas Rangers. That is our baseball team, but also happens to be the highest level and most respected law enforcement in the state. Everyone is offended by something....can't escape the cancel culture by giving in. That is why I say enough is enough. If a name or statue made it into 2020...let's be honest. It isn't that damn offensive.

The whole 19 year old rich white college kid "woke" thing is ridiculous, I agree. But maybe if folks with real problems and real concerns got a little empathy, grace and less, "not my problem" the circumstances wouldn't lend themselves to the silly academia hyperbole we are now served.

Just think, no one would give 2 chits this season about the DC football team if not for the name. Maybe little Danny boy should keep it, just to keep them relevant.

Back