Short mags vs. standard magnums

zfountaine55

just curious about how Hunttalkers feel about the short vs. standard magnum debate, since everybody seems to have an opinion. This may have been brought up here before, and I appologize if it's redundent, but just wondering what everyone has to say. Thanks for your replies in advance.

The truth is, all cartridges introduced since the 30-06 have filled a marketing/hobbyist need much more than a hunting need.

Ballistically, they are nothing new. The concept is interesting and I don't think there is anything wrong with having them around.

At the same time, they don't drive standard magnums into obsolescence.

I have bought a few magnums at great prices due to the shift to short magnums, I dont mind the extra few mm's of bolt throw for half price!

IMHO too many guys are afield packing more gunpowder than they actually need. Short/ Long whatever. I've always stood my ground the past 15 yrs that a standard '08, X57, '06 case, in a medium caliber, is going to be a good 95 % round for anyone. (and I say that with 2 7MM Rem's in the cabinet)

Gunner, need? If all we had was need, I'd have one shotgun, one rifle, and one revolver. I think it's my civic duty to practice the right to keep and bear arms, and as such, a magnum seemed required at the time. I'll see how it works Sunday, I hope. As for the original question, I've never worried much about the short vs long action thing. Find something you like, that fits you and you've got confidence in, and get out and hunt. On the other hand my go to rifles seem to be mausers in either 6.5x55 or 7x57.

I wouldn't say handily.

30-06 = 150 grn bullet at 3,000 fps
*x57JS = 150 grn bullet at 2,900 fps
Hornady 7th Edition

30-06 = 200 grn bullet @ 2650 fps
Lyman 49th
8x57 = 200 grn bullet @ 2500 fps
Hornady 7th

I wouldn't say handily.

30-06 = 150 grn bullet at 3,000 fps
*x57JS = 150 grn bullet at 2,900 fps
Hornady 7th Edition

30-06 = 200 grn bullet @ 2650 fps
Lyman 49th
8x57 = 200 grn bullet @ 2500 fps
Hornady 7th

Once you factor in BC and SD, the 06 starts to pull ahead pretty clearly

30-06, 200gr Speer HCSP
BC: .556
SD: .301
MV: 2650
400yd drop w/100 yard zero: 32.2"
2056 fps
1878 ft/lbs
10.8" drift in 10mph crosswind

8mm Mauser, 200gr Speer HCSP
BC: .411
SD: .274
MV: 2500
400yd drop w/100 yard zero: 40.6"
1746 fps
1353 ft/lbs
16.7" drift in 10mph crosswind

Last edited:
Choc....Dude, take your shirt off and bare your arms anytime you feel !

I dunno. 5 with the Mags...and alot of pounding on the range....30+ with the .308, just as dead, and now the 7/08 is tallying an impressive "Don't even think of stepping in front of me".

Got a beer ?

Of course I've got beer. Right now my favorite is the seasonal one from Kona Brewing company, a coffee infused porter.

I dont think the short mags will hold there own with the regular mags when shooting heavy bullets.

Interesting concept considering you didn't post any actual information to substantiate your opinion.

Everything I have seen shows the short magnums do outperform their magnum counterparts regardless of bullet weight. The difference however doesn't seem to be enough to justify the cost of the ammunition. That said, I own a 7mm WSM model 70 and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Except perhaps a new 7 Mag model 70.

Most all reloading manuals show the standard magnum calibers outperform the short mags, when handloaded. But if shooting straight up factory ammo, they are pretty equal. Does seem as if you can get the short magnums in lighter weight guns as well.

I think most gun's can out preform most hunter's ability to shoot them. I like both but have all mag's!!!

The diffrenece between a 300wsm, 30-06 and a 300wm is about 5-6gr either side of the WSM. The WM holds more powder than the WSM... it will out perform it with all things equal. Math/physics/chemistry will prove it.

The only cartidge I refuse to shoot is a gay ol 30-06, I own one and haven't shot in in 15 years. Its no better than anything else, just not impressed enough to use it again. I perfer my x57's in the 9mm caliber and counter bored to x62, then improved. :) way 'cooler'.

I shoot and load WSM's, mags and "standards". I sure haven't been able to tell a diffrence between any of them at my typical hunting distances.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back