Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Short mags vs. standard magnums

What kind of velocity are you getting with a 286 grn pill out of the 9.3x62 AI?

Its actually a 9x57, that was reamed to Brown/Whelen length. I run .358 bullets through a sizer to .356. I can get 250's in the 2600 range. I could probably push it a little more, but the rifle is about 70+ years old.

Great. I'm having a 35 Whelen AI done right now on 98 action. Any issue with core separation after resizing jacketed bullets?

Great. I'm having a 35 Whelen AI done right now on 98 action. Any issue with core separation after resizing jacketed bullets?

Nope, I actually only size Partitions, the rest are soft enough that they squish down the barrel just fine without pressure signs. Thinking about making it a standard 35 or 9.3x52.

I do love a medium bore w/ a big bullet. Either choice is great.

Thinking of picking up a 9x57 sometime in the near future. Cool cartridge.

Don't overlook the .358 Winchester. It's one of the most efficient cartridges you'll find and it's has a slight edge over 9X57 factory loads.

"What kind of velocity are you getting with a 286 grn pill out of the 9.3x62 AI?"

I shoot a standard 9.3x62, my hand loads will push a 286grn bullet around a little over 2500fps out of a 23" barrel. I have seen some published loads that claimed to be hotter, but my figures are measured. I would also be interested to see what kind of advantage the AI version has.

Short mags are great for lightweight rifles. Other than that it is more expensive brass.

I just love the look of those long .300 H & H rounds. Way cool. You can't get that out of a short mag.

Since some of you guys like unusual stuff, I've got a Ruger #1 in .38-55. I get 2240 fps with a Barnes 255 gr.. When I do the math that's more energy than a factory .30-06/180 gr..

And, one more big vote for the 6.5x55. Is there anything that thing won't do!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back