Short ish 7m suppressed or something else?

CB1

Getting into the suppressor game (have a long wait time) and my rifle isn’t threaded. Have a 24” tikka t3x 7mag I will be using. Have a few options but looking for thoughts and advice, or if I am missing something. This rifle will be used for elk (if I get lucky)and smaller big game with shots under 400.

Options..
Cut it to 22” or 20” and get it threaded (will need an adapter to get the 5/8x24 threads).
Get a new 7mag barrel with different profile but may not fit my standard tikka stock
New 20” barrel in different cartridge. 300 wsm or 6.5prc seemed like interesting choices. They both appear to do well in shorter barrels. Prc seems like a fun option but unsure about performance for elk.

Cheapest option is to just thread it and go but concerned about having an extra 6” on the front of a long barrel. Also, lots of powder in the 7mag so am I creating a problem or can i pick something better?

Pretty sure I am overthinking this but since I have time figured I would ask.

Getting into the suppressor game (have a long wait time) and my rifle isn’t threaded. Have a 24” tikka t3x 7mag I will be using. Have a few options but looking for thoughts and advice, or if I am missing something. This rifle will be used for elk (if I get lucky)and smaller big game with shots under 400.

Options..
Cut it to 22” or 20” and get it threaded (will need an adapter to get the 5/8x24 threads).
Get a new 7mag barrel with different profile but may not fit my standard tikka stock
New 20” barrel in different cartridge. 300 wsm or 6.5prc seemed like interesting choices. They both appear to do well in shorter barrels. Prc seems like a fun option but unsure about performance for elk.

Cheapest option is to just thread it and go but concerned about having an extra 6” on the front of a long barrel. Also, lots of powder in the 7mag so am I creating a problem or can i pick something better?

Pretty sure I am overthinking this but since I have time figured I would ask.

Cut it at 20” and fire away.

Verify with the suppressor company that you intend to buy from if using an adapter is safe. The barrel profile on the T3x probably isn’t thick enough at 20” to cut 5/8-24 threads with an appropriate shoulder. I was told by Thunderbeast that 1/2-28 threads could not safely hold their 30 cal suppressor. They told me the pressure from a 6.5 prc could strip 1/2-28 threads so using an adapter was a no go. It would be a bummer to cut and thread the barrel and then find out you still couldn’t mount the suppressor you wanted to.

Verify with the suppressor company that you intend to buy from if using an adapter is safe. The barrel profile on the T3x probably isn’t thick enough at 20” to cut 5/8-24 threads with an appropriate shoulder. I was told by Thunderbeast that 1/2-28 threads could not safely hold their 30 cal suppressor. They told me the pressure from a 6.5 prc could strip 1/2-28 threads so using an adapter was a no go. It would be a bummer to cut and thread the barrel and then find out you still couldn’t mount the suppressor you wanted to.

20” tikka barrel will have to either be 1/2” or 9/16”.

1/2-28 will support up to 300win mag. The main concerns for support are barrel wall thickness and amount of shoulder.

9/16-24 is a popular thread pitch for sporter weight barrels.

1/2-28 will support up to 300win mag. The main concerns for support are barrel wall thickness and amount of shoulder.

9/16-24 is a popular thread pitch for sporter weight barrels.
I am not claiming to be an expert by any means but I was explicitly told by TBAC not to adapt 1/2-28 threads to 5/8-24. Is there a resource or standard that defines appropriate thread sizes for suppressors or are you relying on general engineering data for thread strength? I understand that there are quite a few variables at play with regards to suppressor design and materials.

I am not claiming to be an expert by any means but I was explicitly told by TBAC not to adapt 1/2-28 threads to 5/8-24. Is there a resource or standard that defines appropriate thread sizes for suppressors or are you relying on general engineering data for thread strength? I understand that there are quite a few variables at play with regards to suppressor design and materials.

I think each suppressor company has their own standards. Silencer Central told me no issues with the banish 30 and 1/2”x28 for 6.5 prc at 17”. They said 7mm cal and under 1/2” with no barrel length restrictions

That was easy! 20” is the min length for the Harvester Evo I went with. I guess I just assumed the 1/2x28 or the 5/8x24 would work since it comes with the adapters for both. The gunsmith I spoke with could do 1/2 and could make an adapter for it if needed but I guess I may not need it with the EVO. I thought I needed something more than the 1/2 if shooting a 7mag.

I am new to suppressors but it is strange that one company says go for it with 1/2-28 threads on a 17” barrel and another says you are going to launch the can off the end of the gun with 1/2-28 threads on a 22” barrel.

I think each suppressor company has their own standards. Silencer Central told me no issues with the banish 30 and 1/2”x28 for 6.5 prc at 17”. They said 7mm cal and under 1/2” with no barrel length restrictions
Shorter barreled prc did seem like a great option. Not too much of a performance loss, lighter recoil, etc.

Each company comes up with their own standards, using thread adapters can introduce concentricity issues but there's really no strength issue there. TBAC probably doesn't want the headache. If they offered an ASR type mounting system and made their own adapters I bet there wouldn't be an issue.

To figure out appropriate thread sizes you have to calculate the hoop strength, along with the tensile and shear strength of the barrel/threads. You'll also need to know how much pressure you're getting at that point in the barrel.

Barrel length and cartridge size ratings for suppressors are based on the hoop strength, baffle thickness, and overall design to handle given pressures. You also have to factor in how resistant the materials used are to erosion and cracking at given temperatures.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back