Sheep pict thread

I tagged along on a buddy's archery sheep hunt this fall. Unfortunately, no hero shots from this hunt.

Camp for a week, right at 10,000ft. Had elk walk by us at night:

Camp.jpg

Me glassing for sheep:

glassing.jpg

Getting drinking water:

water-1.jpg

Crappy photo of one of the better rams we were chasing. We named him Chocolate, for his obviously darker coat than the rest of the rams:

Chocolate1.jpg

Pretty much the only picture I have to offer. A friend of mine drew a desert tag here in Colorado and I was more than happy to tag along. I've been trying to draw the tag forever but I'm about to give up and switch to rockies so I might draw a tag before I die... definitely see why its so addicting though...
picture.php

I got a Christmas card from Bryan, as usual, something wild on it. He's a sheep nut and outfitter up north. He also took a friend of mine from Wyoming hunting in BC in 2009, who took a B&C moose, big mtn caribou, and this stone as the grand finale..
BryanMarcoPolo.jpg

7535_178112305819_607945819_3768044_6176197_n.jpg

Breaks Runner,

Very cool that you can call Mr Gilchrist a personal friend.

I met him once, at a FNAWS convention in Reno.

He invited me over one time in the summer as he was planning a hunt near the North Nahanni River in the NWT to go over my maps of that country...his pal Rick Furniss had just bought the area from the guy I used to guide for. Anyway I showed up at his house and we sat and BS'ed from 3PM until the sun came up the next morning...he really loved wild sheep. Really neat guy...

Dunc was an active member of our sportsman's club. My wife cut his hair for years, and still does his wifes hair. He died doing what he loved. Hope to go out that way. I told my hunting partner he could kill a bear off me if that happened.

Copied this to the PC tonight.. I videoed this guy in 99 in the Cinnabar drainage. My Dad had drawn a late Gardiner elk permit and I was scouting. There was a group of rams, and this was the best one. I don't know how to put the numbers together to judge a sheep, but figured this one wouldn't score too high because he doesn't have much mass.. nice and long, very pretty, unbroomed, 170??

Incredible pictures and memories. This is one of those threads that I will happily read word for word several times over.

I dont know...tough to tell on that ram Greenhorn.

I wouldnt be surprised if it was right at 180. Looks a lot like the ram my buddy Tom killed. I'd say he has 15 inch bases and at least 39 on both horns.

I would have a hard time passing that ram up, love the long unbroomed guys.

Kurt,

Thats a really good ram for down there....he loooks to be 7 1/2 years old and I would say 175".

They used to draw out a handfull of permits there...at that time it was unit 300. Those sheep would come out of the park to rut and winter right there at Corwin Springs.

Great pics fellas! I helped a pard on a sheep hunt two years ago. He spent nearly 1 month in the Frank Church before this:
Picture_054.jpg

PS- BR, I hope you have lots of notes to go with those pics! Lives lived like yours are few and far between. If you're willing to share, I'd be more than willing to read it.

That is a sweet looking ram. I'm with Buzz..I think that ram will go 180. Full curl with the horns dropping to the bottom of the jaw plus some flare. I think he will hit 40" with 15" bases.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Live2huntelk
Back