Sheep pict thread

stoneriver

It was suggested through the "best trophy" thread that we should start a sheep thread...so here it is. I have seen many awesome sheep picts come through various threads over the last few months, it would be great to hear the stories and see more photos. Most of us get so few chances to ever go sheep hunting, it is enjoyable to be able to share in someone else's experience.

scan0010.jpg

Here's a pic of my first Dall Ram killed in the NWT in 1986....we shot two rams out of the same bunch in late afternoon. We were seven miles from camp and had to spend the night on the mountain. There was no firewood as we were above treeline...long night but well worth it!! This ram was 10 years old went 38"X 14" 163 B&C.

I love looking at the terrain that you guys kill sheep in as much as the sheep. I think sheep are some of the most beautiful animals. Terrain and animals that I will never see in my lifetime. Just stuck looking at pics from you guys.

scan0009.jpg

My favorite ram...also from the Northwest Territories near the top of the Ragged Range. This area had never been hunted by anyone before us. We took three good rams out of there. This ram was 10 years old and broomed on both sides to 39 1/2". I also killed an old mountain goat billy that was 8 years out of the same area. The year was 1990.

scan0039-1.jpg

My good friend and long time hunting pard holds up his ram....killed about 1/2 hour before I shot the one above....we named that place "Ram Heaven".

I can't take this in January. Please stop.

A certain world record Rocky on the last day of my 2003 Colorado archery ram hunt. Dirty, hungry and beat. I can tell you nothing hurts more than missing your ram @32 yards. I will draw again.

ScannedImage-10.jpg

ScannedImage-66.jpg

Last edited:
scan0005-11.jpg

It's 10 below zero with a 15 mph eastwind here...a good day to dream about sheep hunting!!

My friend Lee and myself with his white ram....NWT 1991. This ram was with nine others near the top of a high bare ridge.We were watching them from about one mile when a fog rolled in from the river and completely obscured the mountain. We made our way towards them using the fog for cover...as quick as it rolled in it dissapated leaving us in the wide open and still out of range. We slowly backed out and made a complete around the mountain stalk and came out on top of the spine above the ten rams. The shot was less than 100 yards. Lee used a classic sheep rifle, A lightweight Remington .270.

Colorado September, 2009. Will air in July, 2010. Lots of fun, even if I wasn't the shooter.

IMG_4312.JPG

Breaks, you need to post some pictures of a few of the rooms in your house in the trophy room thread. Your pictures are ridiculous.

scan0085.jpg

A big snow in August triggered an early caribou migration...always a nice bonus to go along with a sheep hunt. We never killed caribou until we had our rams...we saw some monsters and let them go. These are Mountain Caribou.

scan0051-1.jpg

October ram from the Yukon....Al would guide rams for three months in the NWT then go back home to the Yukon and hunt there until he got his own ram....that is hardcore!

scan0012-3.jpg

My friend Jim with his 1st Montana ram....this was unit 213. He also drew 123 and 216 in a stretch of less than 8 years...lucky indeed. We made a play on this ram and two others taking us up the mountain about 1500 vertical feet...his shot was less than 50 yards. The ram scored 179 7/8" B&C. 1989.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back